Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Re: Red Bull RB15

cplchanb wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 18:23
Morteza wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 17:00
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1sIQPBW0AIMz0Y.jpg
Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:2019 cooling layout on the @redbullracing RB15: 2 radiators put over the top of the air intake. For ERS and gearbox cooling? Plus 2 coolers in each sidepod, as V6 @HondaRacingF1 has likely double boost pipework
Im more impressed by that mechanic's popping veins... 8)
LOL I was about to say the same thing!!!

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

tinvek
tinvek

cplchanb wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 18:23
Im more impressed by that mechanic's popping veins... 8)
probably the heat, though everything is relative, my daughter's out in thailand for 12 months and decided to "pop" over to melbourne for the weekend on tuesday and commented on how nice it was to be in somewhere 10 ° C cooler

Godius

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:Moteurs F1 2019 : nos images exclusives

godlameroso

That is impressive, and that they let us see it means they already have something better in the pipeline.
Saishū kōnā

roon
roon

Still with air-to-air. I wonder if the compressor has two outlets or if the charge pipe simply has a wye. RB headers kept low compared to Merc--do not snake over the cam covers. Looks like a tight bend ahead of the compressor inlet, as was the case with the McLaren installation. Surprised by that.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Mclaren always thought the extra couple of horsepower from straightening that out wasn't worth the aero downside - RB obviously thought the same, even if they did it last year in the TR.

Singabule
Singabule

I still wondering the difference betwwen honda PU cooling and merc, the top cooler so big in honda PU since MCL era, is it the MGUH and battery cooler or oil cooler for PU that so big? I cant imagine if its the MGUH cooler can be that huge.

humble sabot

Not just aero, the tightness of that bend has a not insubstantial influence on weight distribution.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

GhostF1
GhostF1

PhillipM wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 01:14
Mclaren always thought the extra couple of horsepower from straightening that out wasn't worth the aero downside - RB obviously thought the same, even if they did it last year in the TR.
In fairness, we can't really tell from this angle, no real depth to the shot. But from how the light is reflecting on that intake pipe, I think it looks as though it does flare back out slightly, just like the Toro Rosso last year, how much so I can't say. But definitely not as severe as the McLaren years. That wasn't a bend, that was a severe narrowing/90deg sharp entry.

Wouter

Red Bull: "Engine our strength, weaknesses in the chassis. We need more downforce".

Dr. Helmut Marko could hardly be stopped for euphoria. "We have a great engine!" He praised in an interview with Motorsport-Magazin.com. But ultimately, the third place of Max Verstappen can not hide the fact that Red Bull finished more than 20 seconds behind winner Valtteri Bottas.

But where are the deficits? "We have to work on the chassis," says Marko surprisingly. "We need more downforce."

But why does Red Bull have shortcomings on the chassis? "For many years, we did not have the luxury of a powerful engine, so we may not have really come to terms with the philosophy."

https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/form ... m-chassis/
The Power of Dreams!

gandharva

This may partly explain the impressive speedtrap figures. Finding more DF should not be too big of a problem for them.

munudeges
munudeges

I'm always uncomfortable when Marko mouths off in this fashion, but that actually makes sense. For a long time with Renault they obviously haven't been able to add anything to the car that adds significant drag. The performance penalty versus the gain they get with downforce just hasn't been worth it because they haven't had the power, or consistent, not peak, power.

gandharva

I think it was RB13 where they completely changed to this low drag philosophy. They stripped of pretty much everything on that car at release and all they added race per race was to get on par with Ferrari/Merc on the straights. Since then this never has changed much.

Just to do some ----stirring here: Maybe they did not fully trust what Honda promised over the winter (because that's what happend for several years now) and went a bit too conservative with downforce to not get eaten up on straits during race (again).

Overall I think this is positive, as Honda maybe even over-delivered (or if my theory is correct RBR expected them to not fully hit the target - hence the comment) and RBR is surely capable to add downforce to a car. I think it can only get better package wise.

/edit
Looking at the speed figures from Melbourne I think they could even go "easy mode" and simply add DF by bigger wings (short term) and then concentrate on bargeboard and diffuser work for more efficient downforce (long term).

McMika98
McMika98

Fact remains Honda is still few tenths down on Merc, Tanabe was brutally honest and mentioned this on post race. Rb messed up the setup and lack of preseason running didnt help this. Once they understand the tyres, they will be able to develop the chassis very quickly. The secret aero guy at BBC did have some gem of insight, Merc always have used high downforce front wings with low downforce/drag aero at the back.