Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marti_EF3

Re: Red Bull RB15

gandharva wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 15:27
Sneer wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 10:46
Seems they are running a different enginecover with a ‘chimney’. Yesterday it seemed they were measuring airflow through their airbox. Maybe looking for ways to decrease its size?
Craig twittered about it.
https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1 ... 0697993217

Here you can see it from the front:
https://abload.de/img/rbr39ajhn.png
Looks like it's only opened towards the rearwing. Merc one was also open towards the top.

/edit
Look how the Y250 area is packed with an additional sensor grid.
https://abload.de/img/rbr4nskqp.png
And what function is doing? Is for cooling, or another function??

rebel
rebel

Its just a feeling. But I think the Honda engine caught Red Bull a bit off-guard.

Reel back to 2018... last year McLaren got on the wrong foot designing a chassis for an engine that performed different ( much worse....) then promised.

This year RB looks to go through the same experience designing a chassis for an engine that performed different (much better....) then promised.

In both cases adjustments are needed to understand and optimize the whole package.
Looks to me RB is doing a 'quicker' job compared to McLaren. First of all by starting of at a higher level, and secondly by bringing in adjustments (finetuning and fixes) at a faster rate.

Yes maybe they have to play catch-up. But at this rate I'd expect them to be on the podium again when we're in Shanghai.

What it also shows me is that McLaren en Red Bull have the ability to design a very good chassis.
...and in contrast Renault shows again it lacks the ability to design a top performing chassis. (And i'm leaving engine talk out..).

mzso
mzso

gandharva wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 15:27
Here you can see it from the front:
I don't see a hole, do they call it a chimney because of shape. (Though there's no good picture of it either)

By the way what sort of test is this?
A normal test like it was in pre-season. How many more will they get this year? (When?)
Last edited by mzso on 03 Apr 2019, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

mzso
mzso

rebel wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 17:42
Its just a feeling. But I think the Honda engine caught Red Bull a bit off-guard.

Reel back to 2018... last year McLaren got on the wrong foot designing a chassis for an engine that performed different ( much worse....) then promised.

This year RB looks to go through the same experience designing a chassis for an engine that performed different (much better....) then promised.
Outside packaging the PU has little effect on aero performance. And that's what both teams struggle with. (Well, McLaren a lot more)

ispano6

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... 78/?nrt=54

Red Bull: tested the new front wing on the RB15 which favors the outwash

Milton Keynes's team, after collecting a lot of aerodynamic data to understand what didn't work in the Bahrain GP, ​​experimented with Sakhir's tests on a new front wing designed to increase the passage of air outside the wheel.

Red Bull is very busy in the development of the RB15: the Milton Keynes team after having done a big data acquisition job to understand the problems that slowed it down over the race weekend went on to try a new solution.

The completely new front wing has aroused some curiosity, which also shows how the technical staff of Adrian Newey is voting for a gradual change in the aerodynamic philosophy: the RB15 was born to convey the flows between the two front wheels (inwash) and, instead, the new construction tends to bring air to the outside of the rubber (outwash), following the scheme of Alfa Romeo and Ferrari that seems to have turned out to be the right one.

The confirmation of what we are saying is found by observing the main profile that the leading edge closest to the side bulkhead that has been raised, while the upper element is skewed with a blow that is minimal in the anchor point with the neutral central part and it will become ever greater towards the outside. The intent to increase the passage of air in favor of the outwash is clear.

The first of the three additional flaps is also revised, which has a greater chord with a micro-blowing inside, while the other two have a sickle shape. The side bulkhead is arched outwards and is cut in the final portion.

HPD

Old

New

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

rebel wrote:

In both cases adjustments are needed to understand and optimize the whole package.
Looks to me RB is doing a 'quicker' job compared to McLaren. First of all by starting of at a higher level, and secondly by bringing in adjustments (finetuning and fixes) at a faster rate.

Yes maybe they have to play catch-up. But at this rate I'd expect them to be on the podium again when we're in Shanghai.

What it also shows me is that McLaren en Red Bull have the ability to design a very good chassis.
...and in contrast Renault shows again it lacks the ability to design a top performing chassis. (And i'm leaving engine talk out..).
Honestly this kind of thinking seems wishful thinking to me. Especially that Red Bull was surprised by how powerful PU is. Why would this be an issue, surely more power would mean you can go faster around the lap. It's not like Honda surprised them with 500 more horsepower so that they cannot transfer it to the track.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

gandharva

ispano6 wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 18:47

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... nt-win.jpg

Milton Keynes's team, after collecting a lot of aerodynamic data to understand what didn't work in the Bahrain GP, ​​experimented with Sakhir's tests on a new front wing designed to increase the passage of air outside the wheel.

[snip]
This wing is not new at all. It was already used at race weekend. All they did is back to back aero tests.

Wouter

ispano6 wrote:

Milton Keynes's team, after collecting ..........

Thank you @Ispano, that is great news!!
The Power of Dreams!

HPD

Right click and open in new tab. For high resolution

Big Tea

marvin78 wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 10:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 10:00
dxpetrov wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 04:03
All these problems, Yar after year, just show that Newey has to forget about the drawing board and start using computers... ;)
Amazing that people think that Newey designs the car on his own... :wink:
... and he draws it on a piece of paper, he found in a restaurant. ;)
The problem is with all this clampdown on smoking he can not get enough cigarette packets to do a clear design
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ispano6

gandharva wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 20:05
ispano6 wrote:

[snip]
This wing is not new at all. It was already used at race weekend. All they did is back to back aero tests.
If going by the image, I believe you.
Looked the same for me too, but that was the image used in the article.

etusch

Of course it is a full package and everything related to other part. But if they have problem with the rear, I think,
they are working on the rear.
“It was a little bit wet, which is strange, but overall I think we had a good day,” said Max. “We managed to get in a lot of laps to help us understand more about our performance over the race weekend, and I think we’ve already learned a lot, so that’s very positive. We don’t get that many days to really understand the car, and during a race weekend it all goes by so quickly, so days like today are very helpful. We knew what didn’t work over the weekend in terms of rear-end grip so we tried to work on that and I think we learned a lot.

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/artic ... test-day-1

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

rebel wrote:

I think the problems ARE comparable between the RB15 en ‘18 MCL. Good racepace, but lacking rear traction to give that extra push during fast laps.

But maybe is it not being suprized by (no) power. Maybe it is just the differance in size, shape, cog, etc. They pu’s are just so different, i’m not suprized the designers need more time to fit it perfectly and in balance with the rest.

McLaren has found it this year. Their rear was fenominal in Bahrain. Let’s hope Redbull can do it quicker.