Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB15

DiogoBrand wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 16:26

Unless the car has a fundamental flaw, or the driver isn't very good, less downforce doesn't mean he'll spin his tyres all the time. It just means he'll have lower cornering speed and higher top speed on the straights.

And yes, different downforce levels have benefits and downsides in regard to tyre wear, it will also vary from circuit to circuit. But in Formula One I believe higher downforce creates more tyre wear.
Not necessarily true. You have degradation and wear as two different phenomena. More downforce will put more load into the tyre, and increase degradation of the compound as that energy is absorbed, but i believe wear is actually better with more downforce. Wear takes place at the surface and degradation throughout the carcass, correct me if i am wrong.
Being able to operate the tyre in the right temperature range is the greatest factor that controls how the tread wears down and how the compound degrades. Cars with more downforce tend to have more flexibility with managing the tyre temperatures; based on balance,setup, braking, traction etc. Redbull have demonstrated this in the past two or three years with their car. Also keep in mind pirelli are design the tyres for certain downforce levels and so if this is the case, its likely that more downforce from a particular car is comfortably within the design limits of the tyre, and so in effect wouldnt lead to any adverse negatives.
For Sure!!

Nickel

FittingMechanics wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 20:35
It probably boils down to this.

Higher downforce car ran on the limit (lap time 1:15:000 for example) = highest tire wear.
Lower downforce car ran on the limit (lap time 1:16:000) = high tire wear
High downforce car ran under the limit (lap time 1:16:000) = lower tire wear
Lower downforce car ran under the limit (lap time 1:17:000) = lowest tire wear.

You all are right, higher downforce means more tire wear, but it also allows the car to run under the limit and manage the race to reduce tire wear. Imagine a car being 2 seconds faster a lap, on merit, that car would probably have no issues managing the tires as the drivers can drop the pace in places where tires are hurting and nurse them.
This is the answer in a nutshell. higher downforce might mean more wear over a flat out lap but during the race it gives options. this is assuming all else is equal, ie putting aside the possibility that a car might have better or worse suspension layout or power delivery rtc etc.

zibby43

2 different FW flap configurations for Red Bull:

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 0258262016

dxpetrov

zibby43 wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 08:30
2 different FW flap configurations for Red Bull:

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 0258262016
Old news. Already in Bahrein. Keep up...

seezung

Curbstone

It does look a bit different from the Bahrain spec, like the little cut-out on the inner side of the 4th flap to accommodate the downward bending tip of the 5th flap.
Also, is see no more endplate cut-outs?

gandharva

FW is Bahrain spec without endplate cutout.

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 7361920000

Morteza

Two different rear wing specs
Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Morteza

Via AMuS

Last edited by Morteza on 11 Apr 2019, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

EDIT
Last edited by Morteza on 11 Apr 2019, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

michl420

Is there an additional inlet on the inside of the front wheel carrier under the main intake of the brake cooling, similar to renault?

gandharva

Red Bull

Red Bull used the two days of testing in Bahrain to analyse the problems of the race weekend. With a positive result. "We now know what we did wrong with the set-up," said Max Verstappen happily. He reveals: "The mistake was in the mechanical setup. With a perfect Red Bull he could have finished 3rd in Bahrain on his own: "Then we'll also be able to fight with Mercedes and Ferrari". In principle, the Dutchman praises the RB15: "In general, I feel better in the new car than in last year's car". Pierre Gasly can't say that about himself yet: "The car doesn't yet do what I want it to do. The Toro Rosso from last year was more predictable for me. Gasly also attributes it to communication with the engineers: "We have to get to know each other even better.
Source: AMUS

gandharva

michl420 wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 13:37
Is there an additional inlet on the inside of the front wheel carrier under the main intake of the brake cooling, similar to renault?
Front brake ducts are practically the same since launch.

I wonder what changes they will make for the Barcelona update, as RedBull very often does not change much on the visible surface of the car. Even on their bigger updates.

etusch

gandharva wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 13:38
Red Bull

Red Bull used the two days of testing in Bahrain to analyse the problems of the race weekend. With a positive result. "We now know what we did wrong with the set-up," said Max Verstappen happily. He reveals: "The mistake was in the mechanical setup. With a perfect Red Bull he could have finished 3rd in Bahrain on his own: "Then we'll also be able to fight with Mercedes and Ferrari". In principle, the Dutchman praises the RB15: "In general, I feel better in the new car than in last year's car". Pierre Gasly can't say that about himself yet: "The car doesn't yet do what I want it to do. The Toro Rosso from last year was more predictable for me. Gasly also attributes it to communication with the engineers: "We have to get to know each other even better.
Source: AMUS
Gasly also says there is unlocked potential.