Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
JordanMugen
58
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

Sieper wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:46 pm
So, one extra arm split of in a boomerang they borrowed from Merc anyway. And a flow conditioner pasted on the existing top engine cover. That’s it.

Meanwhile Mercedes has a whole organic bargeboard area and big mprovements for the second time this year.

Very disappointed.
Ohhhhhhhh.... While Red Bull have less changes, do you suppose Mercedes has actually gained more laptime than Red Bull?

TwanV
TwanV
27
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

Haha yes as if RB ever relied on elaborate appendices. Let's wait till Q2 and see if they found a fix for the rear.

User avatar
etusch
147
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post


roon
roon
449
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

Doing more with less is a hallmark of this team.

Alexf1
Alexf1
20
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

Anyone know if RB is going for the Mercedes rear wheel steering too any time soon? Heard a while ago Barcelona/Monaco and after summer break would be the major chassis update timings. Mercedes has made its weakness (slow corners) into its strength. I very much believe the rear wheel steering helps with such a long wheelbase

PhillipM
PhillipM
365
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

All the cars have passive rear wheel steering.

User avatar
godlameroso
432
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

PhillipM wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:01 pm
All the cars have passive rear wheel steering.
You mean toe curve through suspension range?
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

loekf2
loekf2
1
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

roon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:26 am
Doing more with less is a hallmark of this team.
On DutchTV they are pretty sure (source: Horner ?) that Red Bull introduces a new chassis this weekend.

User avatar
Wouter
418
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

loekf2 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:29 pm
roon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:26 am
Doing more with less is a hallmark of this team.
On DutchTV they are pretty sure (source: Horner ?) that Red Bull introduces a new chassis this weekend.

RB has said that Gasly has received a new chassis. RB did not want to say why that happened.

shingles
shingles
5
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:59 am

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

Wouter wrote:
loekf2 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:29 pm
roon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:26 am
Doing more with less is a hallmark of this team.
On DutchTV they are pretty sure (source: Horner ?) that Red Bull introduces a new chassis this weekend.

RB has said that Gasly has received a new chassis. RB did not want to say why that happened.
Sky crew said RB said it was planned.

User avatar
gandharva
234
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Munich

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

Car is still bad at mid corner and especially corner exit. Seems they have fixed nothing in this regard. Hopefully the following test will help them to understand the new package better.

User avatar
godlameroso
432
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

gandharva wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:49 pm
Car is still bad at mid corner and especially corner exit. Seems they have fixed nothing in this regard. Hopefully the following test will help them to understand the new package better.
That is down to the way the car puts down power. I don’t have to look at telemetry to tell mid corner is when you start getting back on the gas. So maybe some drivability improvements? Or does it come back to tires?
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

User avatar
gandharva
234
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Munich

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 pm
gandharva wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:49 pm
Car is still bad at mid corner and especially corner exit. Seems they have fixed nothing in this regard. Hopefully the following test will help them to understand the new package better.
That is down to the way the car puts down power. I don’t have to look at telemetry to tell mid corner is when you start getting back on the gas. So maybe some drivability improvements? Or does it come back to tires?
A bit of everything. Second best car in slow corners atm, but compared to Mercedes, miles behind.

I think it also has to do with aero. In slow turns, when the tires turn in more, it's very hard to control the then different wake from the fronts without the turning vanes (from last year) on the frontwing. Even harder with a high rake car.

zibby43
zibby43
439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post


ispano6
ispano6
251
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post

It's been noted that Newey has been spending time at the grid examining the McLaren car more than other cars and I found this to be a little telling in what might be in store for RB15s evolution.
It's been on my mind for a year or two and it has to do with the gharial snout nose that Mercedes and now McLaren employ. In particular, the narrowness of the nose is the first anatomical or physiological trait that stands out most and what benefit it brings.
Its design allows for low surface resistance and maximizes air that reaches the bargeboards, making them more effective. Increasing the downforce at the center of chassis and getting more over the diffuser and introducing winglets are likely the next phase.

https://as.com/motor/2019/05/13/formula ... 15842.html