Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mmred
mmred

Re: Red Bull RB15

Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 21:39
mmred wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 21:25
lio007 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 20:36
That's another good comparison:

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... -sf90-.jpg
I suspect the real comparison has to be with mercedes. It s known that this year Ferrari has to run as much wing as possible due to the otherwise limited downforce from the bodywork.

A photo of bottas overtake would tell the real difference. Surely in favour of Redbull again.
Not high quality, but...

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 86x591.jpg

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 86x591.jpg
Thx ... I think the difference looks littler cause the Redbull is too far ahead but it s noticeable nonetheless

seense
seense

still taken from the race when VER overtook BOT. By the way, is the RB15 FW a bit more like the Merc FW now?

Singabule
Singabule

seense wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 22:53
still taken from the race when VER overtook BOT. By the way, is the RB15 FW a bit more like the Merc FW now?

https://i.imgur.com/Orkxuuc.jpg
Since beginning of season they chose same concept. After second RB upgrade, merc follow RB regarding Y250 tip, thats why its so similar. They are only 2 teams that purely using this FW concept with STR, MCL, Alfa similar to ferrari, and the rest is mixed concept.

Singabule
Singabule

I wonder with this kind of heat, RB and Honda did very well to maintain the temperature. Is it blessing in disguise as they are went too conseratively in term of packaging and cooling requirements? Can it be shrinked in coller condition without compromizing reliability and could they achieve more performance from RB15 without major modifications? And what is the 'free gain' stated previously incliding this one?

ringo

I don't think they pushed much on the engine side of things compared to the others. I suspect the redbull chassis was working the tyres superbly on that second stint. That is when Max's car came alive. It was also able to push for seconds a lap faster than any other car. Most notably the braking and acceleration out of the corners compared to all other cars was very noticeable.
It is reminiscent of last year's redbull and also the 2017 car. Divebombs were done with ease in those machines. They seem to be getting the car back in that sweet spot. Spotting Newey in the garage was an omen.
For Sure!!

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

ringo wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 04:52
I don't think they pushed much on the engine side of things compared to the others. I suspect the redbull chassis was working the tyres superbly on that second stint. That is when Max's car came alive. It was also able to push for seconds a lap faster than any other car. Most notably the braking and acceleration out of the corners compared to all other cars was very noticeable.
It is reminiscent of last year's redbull and also the 2017 car. Divebombs were done with ease in those machines. They seem to be getting the car back in that sweet spot. Spotting Newey in the garage was an omen.
Seems that for the past complete of years they build a good car from the get go, but then they struggle for the first 1/3 of the season with setup and balance. Then they get it right and suddenly the car just comes alive.

I wonder if the red bull struggles from having a narrower sweet spot in terms of balance and setup than other cars but then a wider operating window once in that sweet spot (i.e. difficult to setup but works in all conditions once it is setup). Perhaps there are correlation issues between the simulator and track?

Bill
Bill

Mode 11 is most aggressive power setting Honda use racing.why do u guys always want to invent your own facts.they won because everyone was on saving mode for whatever reason

mmred
mmred

Bill wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 10:08
Mode 11 is most aggressive power setting Honda use racing.why do u guys always want to invent your own facts.they won because everyone was on saving mode for whatever reason
That is true just for the first laps of the overtakes... After that it was better tyre management and better car for those tyres...

Not putting drivers into equation... Cause Leclerc was supposedly as good as Verstappen that day

seense
seense

Max was told on lap 58 to use Engine 11 not mode 11. What would be the difference between the "engine X" and "mode X" settings?

kasio
kasio

seense wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 10:53
Max was told on lap 58 to use Engine 11 not mode 11. What would be the difference between the "engine X" and "mode X" settings?
imho difference is a number of words. people tend to do that - skip words.

nzjrs

Bill wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 10:08
LOL. The whatever in "whatever reason" is actually the interesting part. The difference in "whatever"s between the teams encompasses a fair amount of engineering on the PU and trade-offs wrt. cooling and aero.

Full credit to RB and Honda that their trade-offs were better for this race (evidently, they won) - well done Honda that they didnt have any cooling issues at all.

Espresso
Espresso

Singabule wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 02:52
I wonder with this kind of heat, RB and Honda did very well to maintain the temperature. Is it blessing in disguise as they are went too conseratively in term of packaging and cooling requirements? Can it be shrinked in coller condition without compromizing reliability and could they achieve more performance from RB15 without major modifications? And what is the 'free gain' stated previously incliding this one?
Tanabe mentioned RB/Honda ran the package in 'maximum cooling' configuration at Austria, this probably in contrast to other teams whom encountered heating issues.

It all boils down to the beginning of the season as Honda went more aggressive to the requirements set by Newey and made the unit much smaller as the maximum engine size agreed upon. The Honda engine has space within the chassis.

The side effect is positive in aftermath. enabling RB and Honda to shuffle around elements to optimize the package or even make some changes to the chassis.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Godius

ME4ME wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 23:37
Qualifying pictures:
Verstappen with the new front wing according to AMuS' speculation:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 308-30.jpg

Gasly:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 250-32.jpg

Verstappen:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 413-33.jpg

Gasly:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 240-38.jpg

Source: Racefans.net

EDIT: Some differences in flap geometry in the y250 area. The new one being more pointy. Old one below.
https://ibb.co/YQkhfVc
On the Dutch TV-coverage Doornbos made a remark that the new front wing is definitely generating more downforce. So much df that he believes it was a contributing factor on why Verstappen lost the rear in FP2 (last turn). So with the right setup and driver talent the car can come alive. He also made a comment about tweaks in the bargeboard area but those must have been really tiny tweaks.

rogazilla
rogazilla

2 piece of information regarding PU.

Tanabe said they are able to deploy 80% of the lap. Not sure if that's the entire race but I'd say that is huge improvement but Silverstone will be interesting since full throttle is on more if I remember correctly.

They used Mode 11 from lap 58 to the end.

In regard to chassis:
They found something because Gas with the upgrade and without is huge difference. Max's driving also showed they have improved the car. We will see how it works in longer corner if the balance is maintained and how the car drives in coming races.

ME4ME

Godius wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 17:27
On the Dutch TV-coverage Doornbos made a remark that the new front wing is definitely generating more downforce. So much df that he believes it was a contributing factor on why Verstappen lost the rear in FP2 (last turn). So with the right setup and driver talent the car can come alive. He also made a comment about tweaks in the bargeboard area but those must have been really tiny tweaks.
Wouldn't be a surpise if they indeed generate more downforce, but I'm not buying into anything Doornbos says. I think he's riding the Verstappen wave and is trying to sound interesting more than anything else.