Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mmred

Re: Red Bull RB15

ispano6 wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 16:09
Austria pace is true pace with very little reservation.

France was the first time using Spec3. Not only was it used conservatively, the mappings were not optimal and deployment would run out on the straights. Yamamoto said this after France as did Marko. Max complained about running out of power, not about top speed.
It was just one lap electronic problem, a map that stopped to work or never worked I guess...

HPD

lio007

HPD wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 15:05
Another very interesting development: have a closer look at the now very seperated 2nd diffusor strake (from car center line). There are now a lot of"fingers" compared to the old one. Haven't seen something similar before.

ispano6

The Red Bull-Honda tweaks which helped break Mercedes’ stranglehold on 2019
The perimeter flap was increased to three elements, with a change in the shape of the inner diffuser’s top edge in order to accommodate the change. The middle of the three perimeter flaps still carries a small side extension. This isn’t an aerodynamic part: It’s there to meet the 200mm maximum height rule, as the diffuser height is measured from below. Having this strip added provides more freedom for the shape of the outermost perimeter flap.
https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/05/the ... d-on-2019/

Manfer

lio007 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 16:21
Another very interesting development: have a closer look at the now very seperated 2nd diffusor strake (from car center line). There are now a lot of"fingers" compared to the old one. Haven't seen something similar before.
The bottom is Ferrari's diffuser.
Ferrari has been running this design from before Canada i believe. Red Bull has gone down that route with their new update.

MtthsMlw

Manfer wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 17:48
lio007 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 16:21
The bottom is Ferrari's diffuser.
Ferrari has been running this design from before Canada i believe. Red Bull has gone down that route with their new update.
Ha you're right, you can spot the unique gearbox tunnel exit near the crash structure for example. Silly AMuS :mrgreen:

Bill

I think it would be a mistake to assume that Rbr only won only because Mercedes was "handicapped " Mercedes is not the benchmark in power circuits Ferrari is they were the quickest in Bahrain,Baku ,Canada,and Austria.Merc car is a little draggy and lack top end power compared to Ferrari. Ferrari was not having cooling issues Rbr won fair and square and they have to do it from p8 after a botched start . I think those updates have worked supreme. They had never been innovative but are good at refining and perfecting other people ideas

roon

They've had less room to innovate chassis side in the turbo era, but their 2009-2013 cars changed the way F1 cars are designed. Long rear pullrods, EBD, narrow rear bodywork, internal aero. RB spearheaded all of those.

Pyrone89

The new outer edges of the front wing suggest they are going in an ever more Mercedes route and look to be sending more air over the wheels instead of just trying to get air to go around. Anyone with more aero knowledge who can eloborate on this?

Also, I noticed under braking from both Gasly and Max a lot of brake dust already early in the race, but on closer inspection I noticed a big airflow exiting the wheels under braking which was visualized by the brake dust (just as rain does for vortices). Is this the new wheel hub design we are seeing in action to seal the floor/create outwash, or was this really just excessive brake wear?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

roon

Can u post the video or a link?

mmred

Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 22:23
The new outer edges of the front wing suggest they are going in an ever more Mercedes route and look to be sending more air over the wheels instead of just trying to get air to go around. Anyone with more aero knowledge who can eloborate on this?

Also, I noticed under braking from both Gasly and Max a lot of brake dust already early in the race, but on closer inspection I noticed a big airflow exiting the wheels under braking which was visualized by the brake dust (just as rain does for vortices). Is this the new wheel hub design we are seeing in action to seal the floor/create outwash, or was this really just excessive brake wear?
Do you want a comparison?
One solution creates more downforce, the other much less drag due to the thinner front wake reattaching to the sidepods sooner and giving an overall thinner car wake.
Is that what you asked?

Pyrone89

Thx mmred, so if I understand you right they are going for less front wake.

With regards to the air exiting from the RB15 I mentioned see 3:32 at for an example I could find quickly: https://youtu.be/Q3L7WzpAsjY

I first thought it was just brake dust, but when watching the replay of the whole race I saw it happen at turn 4 every time with both Red Bulls already in the early laps when they were on camera because of overtakes etc.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Godius

Finding the engine mode dial was easy, the white dial would be positioned toward the right. But which dial could Verstappen his race engineer have meant with position 5? I reckon the pink mode dial which seems to manage the state of charge of the electrical power system.

CLKGTR

Red Bull RB15 rear wing in Silverstone

Thunder18

I wonder if the H badge will be bigger on the front nose after the victory??