McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL34

Old ??

New ??

The top section of conditioners (to the right of Hilton) seems less curved...

Edit: Sorry... It's just the angle...
Last edited by mclaren111 on 23 May 2019, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

CLKGTR

I think it is just a different angle, looks like same spec.

miguelalvesreis

Re: New sharkfin?

Thunder wrote:
miguelalvesreis wrote:
23 May 2019, 02:01
charliesmithhd wrote: They’re talking about the mclaren engine cover so no
Why do I see a Merc engine cover?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Because you only look at one of the 4 Pictures included in the Tweet... ;)
Hmmm, I am using Tapatalk. Might be from that. I can only see one picture.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

mclaren111

f1rules

this might as well have been mclarens james key being interviewed :-) sound like almost identical problems

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... t/4394621/

Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:25
this might as well have been mclarens james key being interviewed :-) sound like almost identical problems

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... t/4394621/
I think there’s a stark contrast between McLaren and Ferrari. From all indications, McLaren knew from the drawing board where their weakness would be, based on the direction they went with. They knew before China they were front limited and expected to struggle. You could put Barcelona in the same category as China, and they were more competitive with the updates, narrowly missing out on Q3. I’m sure the front wing is the least of their worries, the updates seemed to have delivered. Now it’s about setup and extracting the maximum from the package.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules

well, i dont think they expected the front to be this weak, or maybe the rear to be that strong, and does seem to limit them quiet a bit at the moment. Already in testing they mentioned the car had some veru strong points and some weak ones. We are now 5 races in, and they havent been able to dial out their frontend weakness yet with setup, so maybe some bigger changes needs to be made. But no matter its still far far better than last year and the improvement is obvious this year.

Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
24 May 2019, 12:32
well, i dont think they expected the front to be this weak, or maybe the rear to be that strong, and does seem to limit them quiet a bit at the moment. Already in testing they mentioned the car had some veru strong points and some weak ones. We are now 5 races in, and they havent been able to dial out their frontend weakness yet with setup, so maybe some bigger changes needs to be made. But no matter its still far far better than last year and the improvement is obvious this year.
I agree, but remember in testing Carlos explicitly said some weaknesses could be fixed with setup changes, but some with only updates. I think it’s still OK so far, compare with Racing Point, who also brought a big update, but struggled more. Andy Green said the updates did as expected, even though they took a step back. McLaren also said the updates worked. If there was any surprise from China, I think what surprised them was their strong race pace on the track after struggling in qualifying.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Nice view from above...

SmallSoldier

Love these type of pictures where you can see how the wake of the front tires is managed and pushed out and around the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mclaren111

Question: The front Top Wishbone seems quite a bit further back than the Lower Wishbone... Can this be part of the problem with lack of front downforce ??
Last edited by mclaren111 on 26 May 2019, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

mclaren111

It is believed that Ferrari introduced the feature last year, quickly followed by Red Bull. Mercedes incorporated it into the design of this year’s W10... and it’s now being used by most of the other teams too.

Do we have something similar on MCL34 ??

PhillipM

Mclaren have been using similar for many years, in fact they were the reason it got limited by the rules to start with.

ThePapayaJaguar

mclaren111 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 10:08
https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg
It is believed that Ferrari introduced the feature last year, quickly followed by Red Bull. Mercedes incorporated it into the design of this year’s W10... and it’s now being used by most of the other teams too.

Do we have something similar on MCL34 ??
Since we're talking about Mercedes's suspension, here's another look at it. Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0J12yIhcz ... hare_sheet

I think our suspension this year is more like Mercedes's front suspension from last year.