McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NiyolHuayra

Re: McLaren MCL34

Any news if McLaren will incorporate those wings on the top front of the car. And the ones on the sides on top of the bargeboard area.

pazazamadaz

And what about the PU update Ricciardo had. I haven't seen any news on when McLaren will get their upgrades.

Arunas

pazazamadaz wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 16:23
And what about the PU update Ricciardo had. I haven't seen any news on when McLaren will get their upgrades.
Looks, like ball being on McLaren side.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... a/4482111/

SmallSoldier

NiyolHuayra wrote:Image

Any news if McLaren will incorporate those wings on the top front of the car. And the ones on the sides on top of the bargeboard area.
I doubt they will have the ones in the top of the car since they seem to work with the S-Duct and the MCL34 doesn’t have one... The ones in the side of the car? I’m sure they are analyzing that trend (Mercedes, Ferrari and now Renault) and will put it in the car if they find an increase in performance with it and the rest of their concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

Found this picture by @NicolasF1i on tweeter... It seems that the team was already using a POU back in Baku, probably the new suspension is just relocating it further up?

NiyolHuayra

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 16:49
NiyolHuayra wrote:https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 509-22.jpg

I doubt they will have the ones in the top of the car since they seem to work with the S-Duct and the MCL34 doesn’t have one... The ones in the side of the car? I’m sure they are analyzing that trend (Mercedes, Ferrari and now Renault) and will put it in the car if they find an increase in performance with it and the rest of their concept.

Did not know those work with S-Duct, thanks.
For the side ones I meant those where the Richard Mille logo is on the Alfa

Emag

The ones on top of the nose work with the air coming out of the S-Duct, to regulate it and manipulate it the way the aerodynamicists want it to. The ones on the side (where the Richard Mille logo is) are used to direct some of the air downwards in the undercut below the sidepod or probably to generate vortices. Those are conditional on the philosophy of the car. Perhaps McLaren doesn't need those there, that's why they aren't there. It's probably a misconception the fact that the more complicated or the more aerodynamic elements a car has, the better/faster it is, but the truth is the contrary in some cases. Aerodynamicists try to minimise the number of elements they use to direct airflow. Less elements means a much cleaner airflow which leads to a much more efficient car. You can see this philosophy on the Ferrari. They have tried to use as little aerodynamic elements as possible to create their downforce and in return they have very little drag with substantial amounts of downforce. However this "efficient" design is always harder to perfect, that's why you see Mercedes, with much more complicated Aero, sacrificing some of their aero efficiency for more downforce. If Ferrari was generating more downforce with this concept, I can guarantee that they would be faster than Mercedes in *most tracks.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:The ones on top of the nose work with the air coming out of the S-Duct, to regulate it and manipulate it the way the aerodynamicists want it to. The ones on the side (where the Richard Mille logo is) are used to direct some of the air downwards in the undercut below the sidepod or probably to generate vortices. Those are conditional on the philosophy of the car. Perhaps McLaren doesn't need those there, that's why they aren't there. It's probably a misconception the fact that the more complicated or the more aerodynamic elements a car has, the better/faster it is, but the truth is the contrary in some cases. Aerodynamicists try to minimise the number of elements they use to direct airflow. Less elements means a much cleaner airflow which leads to a much more efficient car. You can see this philosophy on the Ferrari. They have tried to use as little aerodynamic elements as possible to create their downforce and in return they have very little drag with substantial amounts of downforce. However this "efficient" design is always harder to perfect, that's why you see Mercedes, with much more complicated Aero, sacrificing some of their aero efficiency for more downforce. If Ferrari was generating more downforce with this concept, I can guarantee that they would be faster than Mercedes in *most tracks.
The problem with some of those solutions is that most of them induce “drag”, therefore the question is if the added benefit compensates for the added drag.

A friend told me that that’s the reason why the MCL34 doesn’t use an S-Duct, they found that they additional aerodynamic benefit wasn’t enough to compensate for the increase in drag... I always find it interesting that Mclaren seemed to be the only team not using one.

M840TR

It's unlikely they're considering such winglets at this point. I imagine the majority of focus is centered around balancing the downforce, an area they've made decent strides in recently. The car's Achilles' heel is its front end. What they could do aero wise is go towards the Ferrari direction by further increasing the outwash with solutions such as cambered front wing endplates with tiny vortex generators, updated floor and diffuser etc; these would subsequently allow them to increase the AoA on the tapered front wing for better upwash/downforce. In combination with the POU suspension it could provide surprisingly significant gains in lap-time.

M840TR

SmallSoldier

Is it me or the wing in the top has a different Y250 approach (the one below seems to be the Spain update)

Pictures by @alessandrosala1

PhillipM

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 19:50
A friend told me that that’s the reason why the MCL34 doesn’t use an S-Duct, they found that they additional aerodynamic benefit wasn’t enough to compensate for the increase in drag... I always find it interesting that Mclaren seemed to be the only team not using one.
We may well see an S-Duct shortly now the Renault is up to full power and the tyres seem to need more DF to give setup options.

SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 19:50
We may well see an S-Duct shortly now the Renault is up to full power and the tyres seem to need more DF to give setup options.
That will be an interesting development, hopefully the added weight (I’m sure the structural integrity of the nose will need to be addressed) compensates for it.

If I’m not mistaken, the use of the S-Duct is mainly to take care of the dirty air flowing towards the underside of the nose and therefore having a negative effect on the turning vanes and front part of the bargeboard area?

PhillipM

Yes, just cleans up the boundary layer under the nose and dumps it in the low pressure area above.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare