McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL34

Another change dunno if it was missed, circled in green.

Left was on Sainz's car and the right was on Norris'

Looking at the lap times, it seems there's benefit to both, and integrating both designs will take some time but will ultimately be worth it. Will be interesting to see if they run both for the rest of the weekend, they still seem to have a pace advantage to the midfield, so may be a good chance to get decent data.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM

That's part of the updated bargeboards you can see earlier, they've pushed both of the outwash elements forwards.

JDC123

Strange technique to have both floors modified in different configurations. I can't see the point of modifying the old floor without using the new bargeboards as surely you would want to see how they interact and perform together.

PhillipM

Well, if you look at them they're trying to turn the flow out earlier and more aggressively - that might not be required with the serrations further back, so they may just have two options with similar simulator data and it's faster just to try it out and see what works on track.

roon

godlameroso wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:14
First Mercedes then Red Bull, now McLaren.
I think Red Bull introduced them in Monaco.

mwillems

I wonder if they are looking for the solution that allows them to successfully run the Merc/RB style front wing.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

f1rules

Looking at the twitter post and the location of the fins vs the updated bargeboard, maybe it will be merged together, thats what rb does

M840TR

mwillems wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 23:16
I wonder if they are looking for the solution that allows them to successfully run the Merc/RB style front wing.
There’s no one solution that’ll allow them that. RedBull and Merc can run high df fw because they have a very strong rear end regardless. Plus it’ll require a redesign of the bargeboards etc as well so definitely not this year.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 20:31
Well, if you look at them they're trying to turn the flow out earlier and more aggressively - that might not be required with the serrations further back, so they may just have two options with similar simulator data and it's faster just to try it out and see what works on track.
Disappointed to not see the front suspension back though. Maybe for Germany?

f1rules

Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 08:41
PhillipM wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 20:31
Disappointed to not see the front suspension back though. Maybe for Germany?
The article that was posted earlier in the week suggested that there would be updates for Germany, bigger than Silverstone, if I’m not mistaken.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

godlameroso wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:14
First Mercedes then Red Bull, now McLaren.

I know, just a coincidence, so I'm joking but they should hire me, as they seem to have focused on areas I've emphasized around here.

I agree... You're insight & predictions have been Spot-On for the last 2 Years.... =D> =D>

f1rules

im not sure, but before the frontpart of the bargeboard was attached to the tea tray some way in, picking up more air from under the car and leading it out, i think they have moved the attachment out to the edge of the tee tray like most others, and then as mentioned, made a more agressive curve to create stronger outwash to help control tyre wake. This is really a big change. Cold help seal the floor making it more effective and leading more clean flow to the rear

EDIT

no definitly, attachmentpoint to tea tray has been moved to the tea tray edges

_cerber1