McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mwillems

Re: McLaren MCL34

kfrantzios wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 18:33
PhillipM wrote:The trouble is, most of the aero and development time around now will be shifting to next years car. So the upgrades you have for the rest of the season are ones you already signed off for production or just refinement work, and your track-specific packages.

If you're having upgrade issues because of correlation you can't just assume some will work and bin off the ones that don't and rely on making more of them - because if you haven't found your issue by now all the rest of your upgrades are potentially compromised - and you can't afford to put huge simulation time into them without compromising next years cars.
It's the same reason Mclaren just basically stopped bringing updates to their car last year while they spent a lot of time testing to understand exactly what the issue was and then put the fix into this years car.
My point exactly

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
I thought that last year some of the testing was for parts for this years car?

I guess it depends on how far apart the cars are, but you'd think that some of the development discoveries for next years car might be applicable for this years car and hence some upgrades might filter through later in the year?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

kfrantzios wrote:
PhillipM wrote:The trouble is, most of the aero and development time around now will be shifting to next years car. So the upgrades you have for the rest of the season are ones you already signed off for production or just refinement work, and your track-specific packages.

If you're having upgrade issues because of correlation you can't just assume some will work and bin off the ones that don't and rely on making more of them - because if you haven't found your issue by now all the rest of your upgrades are potentially compromised - and you can't afford to put huge simulation time into them without compromising next years cars.
It's the same reason Mclaren just basically stopped bringing updates to their car last year while they spent a lot of time testing to understand exactly what the issue was and then put the fix into this years car.
My point exactly

1 - So you all going on the record saying that Renault has no chance at catching McLaren? Cause I've lost track.

2 - Do we know for a fact that they're having correlation issues? Cause I see alot of "ifs".

3 - For a team with aero problems they out qualified us at an aero track by .1 of a sec.

4- Regs are stable this year, we can see parts for next year's car pulled into this years.

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 03:50
kfrantzios wrote:

My point exactly

1 - So you all going on the record saying that Renault has no chance at catching McLaren? Cause I've lost track.

2 - Do we know for a fact that they're having correlation issues? Cause I see alot of "ifs".

3 - For a team with aero problems they out qualified us at an aero track by .1 of a sec.

4- Regs are stable this year, we can see parts for next year's car pulled into this years.
I think the point everyone's trying to make is Mclaren upward trajectory in terms of track operations and car performance has more momentum than other mid-fielders so they're the best candidates for 4th right now.

Noriss' Q1 time was a tenth faster than Ricciardo's Q3.

Not if there's a new design direction.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 13:34
diffuser wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 03:50
kfrantzios wrote:
My point exactly

I think the point everyone's trying to make is Mclaren upward trajectory in terms of track operations and car performance has more momentum than other mid-fielders so they're the best candidates for 4th right now.

Noriss' Q1 time was a tenth faster than Ricciardo's Q3.

Not if there's a new design direction.
Well I would agree with that.

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 16:08
The trouble is, most of the aero and development time around now will be shifting to next years car. So the upgrades you have for the rest of the season are ones you already signed off for production or just refinement work, and your track-specific packages.

I think the new frame that Merc is bringing in is a classic example of an update that might have been planned for next years car that is being incorporated into this years cause the regs are the same. It might also be a sign that the Merc Frame guys are getting 2020 out of the way to switch to 2021.

Maplesoup

diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 20:19
PhillipM wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 16:08
The trouble is, most of the aero and development time around now will be shifting to next years car. So the upgrades you have for the rest of the season are ones you already signed off for production or just refinement work, and your track-specific packages.

I think the new frame that Merc is bringing in is a classic example of an update that might have been planned for next years car that is being incorporated into this years cause the regs are the same. It might also be a sign that the Merc Frame guys are getting 2020 out of the way to switch to 2021.
Price cap in 2021 they need to get as many expensive developments out of the way in the next year and half before they become too expensive too pursue.

PhillipM

I'd honestly say that upgrade was probably in the pipeline for this years car anyway, lead times on chassis and crash testing are far too long for that to have been a 2020 chassis brought forward.

SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:I'd honestly say that upgrade was probably in the pipeline for this years car anyway, lead times on chassis and crash testing are far too long for that to have been a 2020 chassis brought forward.
I agree, between design, development, production and testing... That’s several months worth of work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M840TR

If I recall correctly, the lead times for chassis and the bell housing (trans) are the longest of any other component at 6 months.

diffuser

Nothing we don't know already but an interesting read just as well...
https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/22/ana ... 1-5-fight/

_cerber1

AMuS

Emag

Seems like the POU suspension is not present here. At least not in both cars. It also looks like the bargeboard upgrade they introduced back in Silverstone worked like expected since they have brought it again here.

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 10:04
If I recall correctly, the lead times for chassis and the bell housing (trans) are the longest of any other component at 6 months.
12-16 weeks, so 3-4 months. Of course development studies, and any revisions that come along the way add to the lead times. In the end it does come out to almost half a year when everything is factored in.

If tooling and processes are already in place then manufacturing takes around 2 - 3 weeks tops.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

Emag wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 15:58
Seems like the POU suspension is not present here. At least not in both cars. It also looks like the bargeboard upgrade they introduced back in Silverstone worked like expected since they have brought it again here.
It might be on the other car. Silverstone upgrades weren't revealed until Friday.

604gtir

Emag wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 15:58
it would likely need a revision in the rear suspension as well to work in conjunction with the different front geometry