McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL34

Xero wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 16:12
Yeah, I think it's just refinements and variations. You can tell from the material surrounding the offset (looks rubbery) that it should deform around the joint inside. I'm sure they will keep testing more radical concepts of it with a view to next year too. Next year's car could be very adventurous judging by their comments recently.
What sort of comments? I am on vacation and I don't have too much time to check on F1 news :D

M840TR

Emag wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 20:33
Xero wrote:
Yeah, I think it's just refinements and variations. You can tell from the material surrounding the offset (looks rubbery) that it should deform around the joint inside. I'm sure they will keep testing more radical concepts of it with a view to next year too. Next year's car could be very adventurous judging by their comments recently.
What sort of comments? I am on vacation and I don't have too much time to check on F1 news :D
Seidl being quoted as saying that he's pushing the team to take more risks for next year's car with the implication being that the Mcl34 for all its pace advantage was a very conservative yet well executed design; and that they're looking for a buffer in the WCC to shift all resources towards 2020 as soon as possible.

f1rules

was all this mentioned in one interview?

M840TR

f1rules wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 07:19
was all this mentioned in one interview?
In multiple interviews. Actually I think in his first FIA press conference as well he talked about pushing the team to gain their design confidence back.

FittingMechanics

Seidl is saying that the team probably cannot reach the top without taking a risk. While that is probably true, it is also very risky as you may end up worse. Not sure if that is the best approach here, it's good to have McLaren consolidate their 4th best team for a couple of years and attempt to bridge the gap conventionally. That being said, if they want to win then this is not enough.

Team that probably should go as risky as possible is Williams. They missed the boat for this season and need something radical to catch up.

SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:Seidl is saying that the team probably cannot reach the top without taking a risk. While that is probably true, it is also very risky as you may end up worse. Not sure if that is the best approach here, it's good to have McLaren consolidate their 4th best team for a couple of years and attempt to bridge the gap conventionally. That being said, if they want to win then this is not enough.

Team that probably should go as risky as possible is Williams. They missed the boat for this season and need something radical to catch up.
On the other hand, they have one year before the new regulations kick in... Why not go for it and really be aggressive / daring in their design choices... It may not provide the desired results, but if the board thinks that is worth the gamble and that finishing 4th again or 7th is the same for them... Then, why not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 17:13
FittingMechanics wrote:Seidl is saying that the team probably cannot reach the top without taking a risk. While that is probably true, it is also very risky as you may end up worse. Not sure if that is the best approach here, it's good to have McLaren consolidate their 4th best team for a couple of years and attempt to bridge the gap conventionally. That being said, if they want to win then this is not enough.

On the other hand, they have one year before the new regulations kick in... Why not go for it and really be aggressive / daring in their design choices... It may not provide the desired results, but if the board thinks that is worth the gamble and that finishing 4th again or 7th is the same for them... Then, why not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think that this is the main reason. No one in McLaren is aiming to be 4th best, they want to be back at the front, when you look at it that way, taking risks is necessary. This was why they went with Honda in the first place.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 01:12
Emag wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 20:33
Xero wrote:
Seidl being quoted as saying that he's pushing the team to take more risks for next year's car with the implication being that the Mcl34 for all its pace advantage was a very conservative yet well executed design; and that they're looking for a buffer in the WCC to shift all resources towards 2020 as soon as possible.

I think, at McLaren in the past, there was a certain amount of culture that if you tried something and it didn't work you'd get beat down for it. So people would wait till an idea was fully thought out and tested before the big reveal. I beleive he's just talking about not doing that and instead encouraging it. Let those ideas come to the forfront so that other people can see them and partake with the decision making progress of wether it's good or bad. Not real risk.

Morteza

For the sake of a cool shot. Carlos in Hungary
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f1rules

Running a gurney at the latest gp, a change in position also, where the last time it was the outer elements that lead up to the endplate that had it attached

genarro

Does that mean that they are loading the outer part of the wing in an effort to achieve more downforce?

(sory if this is a stupid question)

M840TR

genarro wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 22:37
Does that mean that they are loading the outer part of the wing in an effort to achieve more downforce?

(sory if this is a stupid question)
The gurney flap seems to be on inboard section.

M840TR

NiyolHuayra

M840TR

NiyolHuayra wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 10:49
What is this?
A catalogue of the type of upgrades introduced through out the first half of the season.