McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
M840TR

Re: McLaren MCL34

GoranF1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:51
M840TR wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:45
Quite impressive. Here's an overall first impression from the renders:

The front wing petals have a steep inclination towards the endplate to energize the outwash.
Same nose as last year.
No S-duct.
Raised front suspension.
Bargeboard an amalgamation of Mcl33 and Merc. There's a boomerang wing and the y250 outwash plate is carried over from last year just like the flow conditioners at the bottom.
No Halo winglet.
Mirror arrangement now different; long extending support with another small one attached on sidepod.
Sidepod deflectors not quite as complex as Redbull or Merc. Rb14 style upper arm.
Raised sidepods with crash structures re-positioned.
Floor probably not representative of actual car but lots of horizontal and short slots.
Packaging completely revised from last year. Focus now on aero, not CoG, with more space for diffuser. Ancillary intercoolers moved on intake.
Small w07 style sharkfin.
Spoon rear wing with multiple vertical slots.
Curved diffuser like Rb14.
Ribs on the rear wheels.
Please refere to boomerang wing as its called; the Monkey bench. 😀
Boomerang is the technical term used around the paddock.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

M840TR

The renders are so different from the actual car. Cheeky.
The car seems to have a low rake but let's wait till testing to confirm.

M840TR

Rake is higher here compared to the renders. Also note new cape ducts.

M840TR

New wheel rims.

BrunoH

car looks cleaner, looks like they tried to make the drag low for this year after the issues, but only after testing we will know..

i like the car, a lot!
hope they can make top 3 or top 4

if the car runs well in testing we might even see a fernando comeback. if he makes it, the car is very good if not.. it will be a top 4 contender.. hopefully .

M840TR

BrunoH wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:25
car looks cleaner, looks like they tried to make the drag low for this year after the issues, but only after testing we will know..

i like the car, a lot!

if the car runs well in testing we might even see a fernando comeback. if he makes it, the car is very good if not.. it will be a top 4 contender.. hopefully .
Also weren't shy of gaining inspiration from others.

ollandos

.... .... ....

i think there are some time back on some areas ..and try very open to change desing there..i like the wings ..the rear of of the car .. i have a fear for suspensions...and i wish to be ok ..the rear axle cover looks like wing plate and i like it ..they try there something like double diffuser
.. ... ..

mod edit: livery and (relative) performance talk edited out.

Irogier

M840TR wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:18

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzXa55sWsAAV2po.jpg:large

I'm intrigued by the design of the rear. especially the bit above the diffuser. Gives a little double diffuser vibe.

M840TR

ollandos wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:43
immediately must stop this joke with this f...k orange liverys ....RON DENNIS come back plz to save us from this ....

paint it chrome with orange spots ...(like vodafone era with red) or black ... we dont lives on 1960 ..move on ..stop to make a car of 1960 on speed and livery ...

i think there are some time back on some areas ..and try very open to change desing there..i like the wings ..the rear of of the car .. i have a fear for suspensions...and i wish to be ok ..the rear axle cover looks like wing plate and i like it ..they try there something like double diffuser ..target set to be red bull in place of red bull ...3rd best ..that i can tell success
This is not the livery thread for crying out loud.

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:38
BrunoH wrote:

i like the car, a lot!

The leading edge of the floor has teeth/VG's and the T-tray extension is back. At least in the live car it's there, this car definitely has something about it. At first glance it looks much sleeker and better designed than its predecessor.

I never got a great sense of pace from the last 2 McLarens at first sight. This one screams performance by comparison. How it compares to the others, I don't know, but this car impresses me much more than anything out of Woking in the last 6 years.
Saishū kōnā

DiogoBrand

The cooling outlet looks to be placed higher than usual, instead of wrapping around the exhaust, it almost forms a straight line over it. Also there's a tiny hole over the engine cover, reminds me of the holes they cut to cool the exhaust last year.

turbof1

No livery discussion in the car thread. I'll be moving post to the team thread where livery and sponsor discussion belongs.
#AeroFrodo

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:21
M840TR wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:38
BrunoH wrote:

i like the car, a lot!

The leading edge of the floor has teeth/VG's and the T-tray extension is back. At least in the live car it's there, this car definitely has something about it. At first glance it looks much sleeker and better designed than its predecessor.

I never got a great sense of pace from the last 2 McLarens at first sight. This one screams performance by comparison. How it compares to the others, I don't know, but this car impresses me much more than anything out of Woking in the last 6 years.
It's almost as if with Goss out the aero guys finally got there way.

M840TR

DiogoBrand wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:31
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzXa55sWsAAV2po.jpg:large
The cooling outlet looks to be placed higher than usual, instead of wrapping around the exhaust, it almost forms a straight line over it. Also there's a tiny hole over the engine cover, reminds me of the holes they cut to cool the exhaust last year.
It might be a start-spec outlet size that will keep changing according to the tracks.