McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

DiogoBrand

Re: McLaren MCL34

M840TR wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:38
DiogoBrand wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:31
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzXa55sWsAAV2po.jpg:large
The cooling outlet looks to be placed higher than usual, instead of wrapping around the exhaust, it almost forms a straight line over it. Also there's a tiny hole over the engine cover, reminds me of the holes they cut to cool the exhaust last year.
It might be a start-spec outlet size that will keep changing according to the tracks.
The size will likely vary, but the placement is what got my attention.

the EDGE

DiogoBrand wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:43
M840TR wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
The cooling outlet looks to be placed higher than usual, instead of wrapping around the exhaust, it almost forms a straight line over it. Also there's a tiny hole over the engine cover, reminds me of the holes they cut to cool the exhaust last year.
It might be a start-spec outlet size that will keep changing according to the tracks.
It may be the angle of the pictures I have seen, but it appears the exhaust is placed lower than on other cars. If this is the case then it would explain why the bodywork seems higher

PhillipM

Most cooling outlets will be higher this year because the rear wing is higher so it benefits lifting the outlets and also putting more cooling up top rather than the sidepods - the Redbull is the same.

Winter sources for Mclaren info are still spot on though :wink: :)

Also, these aren't full test/race spec bargeboards, expect some more small bits around the sidepod entry/cockpit sides.

Just_a_fan

I guess they're going to need a gantry to get the drivers in the cars this year. There doesn't appear to be anywhere to stand next to the cockpit!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

daren_p

Jolle wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:13
It feels like there is a very visible difference between works cars and the midfield teams: size! Of course Red Bull has a size -1 at the moment but also Mercedes has shrunk again while Renault made some progress. The McLaren looks quite fat in comparison to the top 4, more in line with Williams,STR, Alfa and HAAS.

I expect that all these teams will be aiming for this fifth spot.
Redbull seems to be in a league of their own in this regard, but we have seen in the past where they start super aggressive & sometimes it works, while others not so much & they have to increase the size in area's/rework. Merc seems fairly tight as well but looks like MCL isn't too far behind (better then some of the other launched cars). The MCL looks a bit chubby in some pics but fairly tight from other angles, such as this:

DiogoBrand wrote:
M840TR wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
MCL33 also seemed to have higher cooling outlets compared to most other cars on the grid, so this location didn't seem new to me.

My thoughts on this years car, appears Alonso should have stuck around for another year :lol: Overall on last years launch was rather underwhelmed, this years car appears that they want to be at the sharper end of the grid. Who knows if it will actually all work, but it appears to be better then a typical midfield car. Not sure about the PU this year but hopefully they can be in the points/Q3 regularly, with a goal of closing in on the top. Not being an expert, but just looking at the MCL vs Renault, my vote would be for the MCL to be the quicker car.
Last edited by daren_p on 14 Feb 2019, 18:11, edited 2 times in total.

M840TR

DiogoBrand wrote:
M840TR wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
It's akin to what Ferrari used in Hungary etc last year.

M840TR

daren_p wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 18:01
Jolle wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:13
It feels like there is a very visible difference between works cars and the midfield teams: size! Of course Red Bull has a size -1 at the moment but also Mercedes has shrunk again while Renault made some progress. The McLaren looks quite fat in comparison to the top 4, more in line with Williams,STR, Alfa and HAAS.

I expect that all these teams will be aiming for this fifth spot.
Redbull seems to be in a league of their own in this regard, but we have seen in the past where they start super aggressive & sometimes it works, while others not so much & they have to increase the size in area's/rework. Merc seems fairly tight as well but looks like MCL isn't too far behind (better then some of the other launched cars). The MCL looks a bit chubby in some pics but fairly tight from other angles, such as this:

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... aunch2.jpg

DiogoBrand wrote:
M840TR wrote:

MCL33 also seemed to have higher cooling outlets compared to most other cars on the grid, so this location didn't seem new to me.
The livery camouflages the packaging a bit but it's very very aggressive. Not quite Redbull but almost the same as Merc.

PABLOEING

Peter1919

Its very different to last year's car which can only be a good thing. Total change in side pod philosophy with almost no undercut at all. Overall it looks so much more developed and thought through compared to the launch cars in the last few years which probably reflects the fact they have had much longer to work on this car after the early switch to work on the 2019 car last year.

mclarenmatt

Car looks far more developed than last year and it’s clear to see how much more space there is between the front axle and side pods. Let’s hope that’s a major help to begin with.

Gary Anderson is already very “meh” about it on Autosport so let’s hope it proves him wrong this year.

Jackles-UK

Interesting reports suggesting that the Petrobras fuel might not be up to the task just yet and that McLaren might opt to use the BP/Castrol products that the Renault works team uses instead until they are certain that Petrobras are offering comparable performance.

M840TR

Jackles-UK wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 19:24
Interesting reports suggesting that the Petrobras fuel might not be up to the task just yet and that McLaren might opt to use the BP/Castrol products that the Renault works team uses instead until they are certain that Petrobras are offering comparable performance.
Not the worst thing. Better than jumping the gun and have a bad fuel.

M840TR

mclarenmatt wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 19:14
Car looks far more developed than last year and it’s clear to see how much more space there is between the front axle and side pods. Let’s hope that’s a major help to begin with.

Gary Anderson is already very “meh” about it on Autosport so let’s hope it proves him wrong this year.
Let's wait till the tests before coming to any conclusions.

GoranF1

mclarenmatt wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 19:14

Gary Anderson is already very “meh” about it on Autosport .
Yees, that usualy means car is fantastic...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."