Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
izzy
izzy

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

LM10 wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 17:43
Are there any Mercedes fans being particularly happy about any rumors of Mercedes making big improvements? Already last season the W10 had a race pace which was totally out of this world. Without regulation changes and with staff switching to the W11 project ages before last season ended, the upcoming car can only be another beast wiping the floor with it’s opponents.

I don’t expect Ferrari to be in the title race next season, but it would piss me off to see Mercedes doing a walk in the park once again. So only hope for some sort of excitement seems to lie in the hands of the RBR people. But even then, I don’t expect Mercedes to lose their position on the very top.
i'm happy just not totally believing it. The stories about Ferrari being doooooomed are really about a few engineers' emotional state it seems to me and with Mercedes it's assumptions just the same but about their aura more than anything. Honda will have improved again and they've all learned from last year so I'm expecting the cars to be very very close. It's just not likely any of them have made a huge mistake when they've had so much data and time

zibby43
zibby43

So, how about that W11 lol . . .

hollus

Err.... yeah, W11. Ethylene glycol is cool, though! (pun intended).

That's why the coolant discussion has been moved here:
Ethylene glycol and engine cooling

Speculation thread and all, we are not going to be very strict, but I thought (thanks Mr. warner) that it is cleaner this way. Whatever one team finds in cooling, all others will find after a season or two, won't they?
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 21:19
It'll be mostly silver/grey/black with some cyanish-green and then some logos. There'll be four wheels with tyres at each corner of the chassis, a big wing at the front and another at the back. Some scaffolding will be fitted over the hole where the driver sits. It'll have an engine, a gearbox, a battery and plenty of "clever stuff" to make it all go really quickly around a closed course.

Other than that? Who knows?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hollus

You've seen the car!!!
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

Mercury suspension....

I heard they tried it on the nine post test rig last week (yes two extra posts are needed when dealing with a mercury suspension! ) but decided again not to use it for the upcoming season! Can you beleive it?! Come on Merc we want to see the cars at full strength!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

hollus wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 22:16
You've seen the car!!!
Damn, did I give too much away? They'll be coming to get me now...! :shock:

:lol:

Maritimer
Maritimer

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 22:42
Mercury suspension....

I heard they tried it on the nine post test rig last week (yes two extra posts are needed when dealing with a mercury suspension! ) but decided again not to use it for the upcoming season! Can you beleive it?! Come on Merc we want to see the cars at full strength!
Is mercury even compressible?

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 21:58
zibby43 wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 21:19
It'll be mostly silver/grey/black with some cyanish-green and then some logos. There'll be four wheels with tyres at each corner of the chassis, a big wing at the front and another at the back. Some scaffolding will be fitted over the hole where the driver sits. It'll have an engine, a gearbox, a battery and plenty of "clever stuff" to make it all go really quickly around a closed course.
:lol:

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Maritimer wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 04:40
Well, everything is compressible if you try hard enough.
I'm struggling to see the advantage to using mercury suspensions though.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

3jawchuck wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 10:10

I'm struggling to see the advantage to using mercury suspensions though.
It goes back to the ideas people in here came up with to make a clever linked/reactive suspension system. That it'd no doubt be considered illegal by the FIA doesn't worry some.

dren

They have a clever front-rear-intake connected suspension that leaks Hg into the intake before the compressor. Oil additives in the compressor bearings leach into the intake and transmute with the Hg to make a fuel that has massive explosive potential when ignited. They had to redesign their conrods because they kept bending them on the test bench.
Honda!

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Maritimer wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 04:40
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 22:42
Mercury suspension....

Yes it is. The liquid form of mercury is dangerous because it vaporizes at room temperature and when it vaporizes, it fills the air with tiny, invisible mercury atoms. If mercury is inhaled it is easily absorbed by the body. Lungs and blood.

SiLo

dren wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 13:26
They have a clever front-rear-intake connected suspension that leaks Hg into the intake before the compressor. Oil additives in the compressor bearings leach into the intake and transmute with the Hg to make a fuel that has massive explosive potential when ignited. They had to redesign their conrods because they kept bending them on the test bench.
Where did you get this info from?

I did wonder if the "leaking" tactic might come back again. It's a very easy way to get something it shouldn't be.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dren wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 13:26
Wow, Mercedes are practising alchemy! :roll: