Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dfegan358

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

I also have a hard time believing this reports about Ferrari’s car not showing the expected simulator gains.

Recent years have shown, true pace and pecking order not really shown clearly until Melbourne.

We are only guessing until then

Phlumbert

Polite wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 20:43
Pany wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 14:39
sandbagging?
Ferrari will run a Aspec in winter testing first week, then a Bspec aero pack in the second week: like Mercedes last year.

8)

motorsport.it, and some rumors in Italy..
Full article:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-st ... i/4668862/

Translation:
The Cavallino team could adopt a development strategy during the two testing sessions in Barcelona: in the first round the car of the presentation of Reggio Emilia will debut, while in the second you will see the aerodynamic package of the Australian GP.

Experience teaches. Ferrari will carry out the same strategy that Mercedes adopted with the W10 last year.

The Red which will be shown on 11 February will be the car that will carry out the first winter test session in Barcelona from 19 to 21 February, while the car that will take to the track in Catalunya from 27 to 29 February will be the one that the Scuderia will debut in Australian GP, ​​first race of the 2020 world championship.

As the world champion team had done in 2019, the Cavallino team thought it well to stop the aerodynamic development at some point to be ready for the presentation vernissage.

It will be a version that we could define as standard, useful to evaluate its consistency and reliability rather than performance, while the SF90 had made its debut in Spain in a configuration that was already equipped with the package that then ran (disappointing) in Melbourne .

The Maranello technicians will be able to assess whether the mechanical parts will meet the expectations of the 671 signed project and whether the tires will adapt to this revised and corrected Ferrari after the problems that emerged in 2019.

The real Rossa, therefore, can only be evaluated in the second winter testing session, when the most advanced aerodynamic package will make its debut and only then will it be possible to understand in the comparison with Mercedes and Red Bull if the single-seater will have the downforce necessary to be the protagonist on all tracks in the world.

As had happened for the silver arrow last year, the changes that will be seen will not be the result of data collection in the first week of testing, but the introduction of what should be the definitive aerodynamic appearance for the opening race .

This would have left more time in the wind tunnel to the staff directed by David Sanchez to develop concepts to increase vertical thrust without penalizing aerodynamic efficiency.

Vasconia

Polite wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 20:43
Pany wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 14:39
sandbagging?
Ferrari will run a Aspec in winter testing first week, then a Bspec aero pack in the second week: like Mercedes last year.

8)

motorsport.it, and some rumors in Italy..
This would have sense and as we saw last year it was an strategy which paid off for Mercedes. I do hope this means that Australia´s car is really competitive.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 14:28
The new car would have to be a total dog for them to reuse last year's car. Assuming that the other teams have found 0.5s over the winter, Ferrari would be fighting with McLaren for the lesser places.
They could go back if the problem is in the chassis or new engine itself. Remember at this stage of the game Aero is far from finalized. Even during testing sometimes we see a few teams run basic aero packages a few races in so they can utilize the test data, so if anything the problem would lie in the actual chassis itself of the engine.

Abu Dhabi spec cars of the previous year are actually faster than new Melbourne spec cars of the current year. The problems is of course you wold not get development data on the new car if you run last years spec Abu dhabi chassis. So it could be a Risk that Ferrari are willing to take if there is a problem on the chassis (nose? front splitter? engine mounting?) we will see.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dtro

Does anyone actually believe a word coming out of the media's proverbial mouths in re: Ferrari's car this year? They basically came out last year even before the car was released with their team orders this, Vettel gets priority that, yada yada, testing comes they're stupid fast and then we saw the true pace, nowhere near their a. expectations b. statements. This year they may have taken a conservative, if not deceptive approach to their press releases (which is what this --- ostensibly is under the pretense of some "insider" having long conversations with employees of Ferrari). These employees who apparently don't care about non-disclosure agreements and yab about how their car is trash this year.
Understanding this is a speculation thread, so it makes sense that this is speculation, but do we really need to buy into the nonsense we're being fed? We'll see we're they're at, if McLaren is an indication no news is better than promising the chosen one will win a championship.

zibby43

dtro wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 00:35
Does anyone actually believe a word coming out of the media's proverbial mouths in re: Ferrari's car this year?

. . . do we really need to buy into the nonsense we're being fed? We'll see we're they're at.
I think this is a very fair point. All the leaks need to be taken with a grain of salt.

The interesting thing is that Leo Turrini provided similar information (re: disappointing simulations) a few weeks ago. He's an award-winning Italian journalist that has unprecedented access to Ferrari (compared to most other journalists).

Ferrari has struggled with quickly addressing and recovering from aero/chassis issues in recent years (something the new simulator is supposed to help rectify). There was the 2018 Singapore update that made the car slower. This year, it took until Singapore of 2019 to try to add downforce to the car, which seemed to help over a single lap, but in the waning races, the car's race pace was still nowhere.

I'm expecting the '20 Red Bull and Mercedes cars to be strong evolutions of their 2019 predecessors. Especially with the new regulations coming out in '21. Ferrari, on the other hand, needs to make some fairly substantial changes on their '20 challenger, as they absolutely have to get more balanced downforce on the car (especially if the PU advantage won't be as strong in '20, as that won't be able to potentiate the distinctively low-drag package that Ferrari chose in '19).

Still, it's all speculation right now. Just like you said.

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 07:36
I think this is a very fair point. All the leaks need to be taken with a grain of salt.

The interesting thing is that Leo Turrini provided similar information (re: disappointing simulations) a few weeks ago. He's an award-winning Italian journalist that has unprecedented access to Ferrari (compared to most other journalists).

Ferrari has struggled with quickly addressing and recovering from aero/chassis issues in recent years (something the new simulator is supposed to help rectify). There was the 2018 Singapore update that made the car slower. This year, it took until Singapore of 2019 to try to add downforce to the car, which seemed to help over a single lap, but in the waning races, the car's race pace was still nowhere.

I'm expecting the '20 Red Bull and Mercedes cars to be strong evolutions of their 2019 predecessors. Especially with the new regulations coming out in '21. Ferrari, on the other hand, needs to make some fairly substantial changes on their '20 challenger, as they absolutely have to get more balanced downforce on the car (especially if the PU advantage won't be as strong in '20, as that won't be able to potentiate the distinctively low-drag package that Ferrari chose in '19).

personally I'm not understanding how the engineers could be disappointed, at this stage when they haven't actually run the car. If they'd put the car on the track it'd make sense, but right now all they've done is they've designed a new car fixing last year's mistaken concept, with loads of their own data and Mercedes and Red Bull to copy, and they've done it with CFD and made a 60% model and put it in the windtunnel.

This is what they do, and last year's car was very fast at some races its main problem apart from the front loading in short corners was looking after the tyres and setting it up on its super complicated suspension. So up to this point it's all familiar, basic stuff for Ferrari as far as I can see, and the CFD and model-making are quick processes, and they've had since last Spring to be working on it, so i don't see how they can be looking at the data and being surprised?

So for now i'm putting it down to engineers loving to solve problems and for that they have to have a problem! That could just be they wanted it 2s faster and they've only got 1.8, merda!!

Just_a_fan

Maybe they've put the designed car in the simulator and found it's not where they want it to be. Maybe they just haven't seen the lap time improvement they were expecting.

CFD and wind tunnel models only tell you about the aero. If Ferrari have changed the suspension as well, for example, they may be finding an issue in the simulator that wasn't apparent at the concept stage.

Or it's all just a ruse to make people think they're struggling. They then turn up in testing / at Oz and blow everyone away by 1s / lap.

We'll find out soon enough. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 10:58
Maybe they've put the designed car in the simulator and found it's not where they want it to be. Maybe they just haven't seen the lap time improvement they were expecting.

CFD and wind tunnel models only tell you about the aero. If Ferrari have changed the suspension as well, for example, they may be finding an issue in the simulator that wasn't apparent at the concept stage.

Or it's all just a ruse to make people think they're struggling. They then turn up in testing / at Oz and blow everyone away by 1s / lap.

We'll find out soon enough. =D>
How can you say soon enough? It obviously is NOT anything like soon enough!! :lol:

zibby43

izzy wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 10:43
zibby43 wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 07:36

personally I'm not understanding how the engineers could be disappointed, at this stage when they haven't actually run the car. If they'd put the car on the track it'd make sense, but right now all they've done is they've designed a new car fixing last year's mistaken concept, with loads of their own data and Mercedes and Red Bull to copy, and they've done it with CFD and made a 60% model and put it in the windtunnel.

This is what they do, and last year's car was very fast at some races its main problem apart from the front loading in short corners was looking after the tyres and setting it up on its super complicated suspension. So up to this point it's all familiar, basic stuff for Ferrari as far as I can see, and the CFD and model-making are quick processes, and they've had since last Spring to be working on it, so i don't see how they can be looking at the data and being surprised?

So for now i'm putting it down to engineers loving to solve problems and for that they have to have a problem! That could just be they wanted it 2s faster and they've only got 1.8, merda!!
Just_a_fan pretty much took the words right off my fingertips. :mrgreen:

Fair questions though!

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 21:57

Fair questions though!
well yes it could be the suspension, but still in the simulator it's the suspension they designed isn't it, to suit the aero and vice-versa. Everything in the sim, the wind tunnel and the CFD is all the same data basically, that they've created in their virtual development world. It's all one theory, and the same theory

I don't see how it can be giving surprises. Not now. So yes it might be just giving a bit less laptime than they were hoping or it might be sandbags or pure story. If you list all the possibilities one of them is bound to be right :P The main thing for us is that, as far as i can see, when the real car hits the track it quite likely will be competitive and not a lemon after all

zibby43

izzy wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 22:50
zibby43 wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 21:57

Fair questions though!
well yes it could be the suspension, but still in the simulator it's the suspension they designed isn't it, to suit the aero and vice-versa. Everything in the sim, the wind tunnel and the CFD is all the same data basically, that they've created in their virtual development world. It's all one theory, and the same theory

I don't see how it can be giving surprises. Not now. So yes it might be just giving a bit less laptime than they were hoping or it might be sandbags or pure story. If you list all the possibilities one of them is bound to be right :P The main thing for us is that, as far as i can see, when the real car hits the track it quite likely will be competitive and not a lemon after all
I was referring to his comment that the lap times or improvements in terms of overall points of downforce gained were not where Ferrari wanted them to be at.

I never said that these reported results were surprising or that they came out of the blue, merely that they were allegedly unsatisfactory.

With no regulation changes for '20, the teams have a lot of data to work with for reference purposes. But even in preparing for the '19 season, admidst all the uncertainty in terms of what it would take to have a competitive car, James Allison referred to the massive amount of lost downforce points that the team observed with their first iteration of the W10 (when compared to the W09).

They slowly chipped away until they could recover as many as those points as possible. That's just one example of how the teams could be pleased or disappointed with the results of simulation data.

Turrini recently clarified: "I have NOT written that the 2020 Ferrari will be a toilet (bad). I trivially reported that the Maranello technicians were still not satisfied with the data collected at the factory, making it clear that there was no lack of time to fix things."

There is still time. But while you are spending time addressing an issue, a rival is further honing their design.

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 00:29
I was referring to his comment that the lap times or improvements in terms of overall points of downforce gained were not where Ferrari wanted them to be at.

I never said that these reported results were surprising or that they came out of the blue, merely that they were allegedly unsatisfactory.

With no regulation changes for '20, the teams have a lot of data to work with for reference purposes. But even in preparing for the '19 season, admidst all the uncertainty in terms of what it would take to have a competitive car, James Allison referred to the massive amount of lost downforce points that the team observed with their first iteration of the W10 (when compared to the W09).

They slowly chipped away until they could recover as many as those points as possible. That's just one example of how the teams could be pleased or disappointed with the results of simulation data.

Turrini recently clarified: "I have NOT written that the 2020 Ferrari will be a toilet (bad). I trivially reported that the Maranello technicians were still not satisfied with the data collected at the factory, making it clear that there was no lack of time to fix things."

There is still time. But while you are spending time addressing an issue, a rival is further honing their design.
Oh okay yes well i have posted that same thought, that it's probably being dissatisfied rather than surprised by an 'issue'. That clarification confirms it, and so then it all depends on what their target was doesn't it. It might be refining, chasing that last tenth or two that they know is there somewhere. If i were a Ferrari fan I'd be reasonably optimistic still, I bet 2020 is going to be mostly about the driving more than anything

LM10

Regarding what might have made the engineers be not happy, the following is a translated part of today's article on f1analisitecnica.com:

"Ferrari has worked on a macro component in a truly important and specific way: the flat bottom. That in the last year in Maranello have struggled to make it work. And for the rake structure, even more pronounced in the 2020 project, it will be even more important. This is where some "bad moods" come from as there is still a need to extract a lot from this component in the remaining month that will lead us to the second Barcelona tests. But in Maranello there is trust: they know they can do it to hit the target set."

Just_a_fan

What can they do with the "flat bottom", assuming that means the floor on either the reference or step planes? Or is it some clever shaping of the diffuser entry? I'm sure Ferrari were the ones who started to use the concave diffuser throat first. Something clever in this area could be a season winner.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.