Williams FW43 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM

Re: Williams FW43 Speculation Thread

Worthless, you can hit the weight limit without much trouble at all, you'd just make any sort of work, setup, upgrades or repair a complete nightmare to save 3kg, not to mention probably double your mould/tooling costs.

Also the 7 post rig image is just a generic top down drawing from years back - it's only there as a visual guide after all, nothing in there of the new car.

PowerandtheGlory

PhillipM wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 17:04
Worthless, you can hit the weight limit without much trouble at all, you'd just make any sort of work, setup, upgrades or repair a complete nightmare to save 3kg, not to mention probably double your mould/tooling costs.

Also the 7 post rig image is just a generic top down drawing from years back - it's only there as a visual guide after all, nothing in there of the new car.
Of course there’s nothing of the new car in there... the new car will be in bits, to screw together in about May time... probably??!!
(Hope not)
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

PhillipM

I mean the image the posted was talking about in the software/screen you could see.

tomazy

After looking at the picture from behind highliting the rear suspension that f1motta posted on page 3 (reposted below) I got wondering:

Is it normal in F1 rear suspension that the upper wishbone front connection to the gearbox is so much lower then the rear connection? I know that the suspension element have to be aero neutral, but with the setup like this, aero neutral part would have an angle of attack and make downforce? I dont remember rear suspension on other cars beeing so exposed to the clean air, I don't think that this is a coincidance. If this is something new and performance beneficial, Williams couldn't of done it if they wouldn't built gearbox and suspension in house.

jjn9128

tomazy wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 22:42
It's to do with the anti-dive/squat setup of the suspension.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Lotus102

Is there a piece missing? I can make out the pullrod on the left hand side but not the right. Admittedly the light makes it rather unclear.

After seeing some screengrabs with the shadows lifted, I think it probably is a model of the FW43, but it could be any stage of development from about last August, or a 'bitsa' incorporating elements from different specs. I still doubt it's particularly close to what we'll see in a couple of weeks, other than perhaps in general shape.

The car on the computer screen at 01:14-17 is the FW41 (it says so, top right, obviously, as pointed out above but also the sidepod shape is clearly that of the '41)

wesley123

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 16:24
If F1 designs were "single-skin" imagine the weight that would be saved. Yes there are drawbacks.. but It would be very interesting if this philosophy is used on car.
Red Bull used a single piece engine cover for some while, but even they stepped away from that. I doubt any weight saving would be significant, or even noticible. Outside of that you add huge complexity, both in fabrication as well as shipping, setting up, building, crashing and anything else that requires you to handle the piece.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

tomazy

jjn9128 wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 13:11
tomazy wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 22:42
It's to do with the anti-dive/squat setup of the suspension.
Didn't know that, thank you for your answer. So are other teams also running this setup, good pic are hard to find becouse the suspension is usualy not in open air like on this model?

Lotus102 wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 14:29
Is there a piece missing? I can make out the pullrod on the left hand side but not the right. Admittedly the light makes it rather unclear.
This is how I see it
Lotus102 wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 14:29

After seeing some screengrabs with the shadows lifted, I think it probably is a model of the FW43, but it could be any stage of development from about last August, or a 'bitsa' incorporating elements from different specs. I still doubt it's particularly close to what we'll see in a couple of weeks, other than perhaps in general shape.
I agree, but this is the best look at this years car shape we have till now. Much better than the covered up chassis from McLaren where people are seeing that it has great rake angle and guessing the wheelbase.

jjn9128

tomazy wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 18:05
Didn't know that, thank you for your answer. So are other teams also running this setup, good pic are hard to find becouse the suspension is usualy not in open air like on this model?
Yes. This is from the Perrin (centreline sketch which along with the roll geometry forms the planes of the wishbones) which is less aggressive than a proper car - but the two wishbones angle towards a point the distance and height of which defines the squat/dive characteristic. Not really my area of expertise so any more detail and I'd be struggling.

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Lotus102

tomazy wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 18:05
I agree, but this is the best look at this years car shape we have till now. Much better than the covered up chassis from McLaren where people are seeing that it has great rake angle and guessing the wheelbase.
Lol, good point!

I think you’re right about the pullrods.

The model does seem to retain the rather bulky engine cover of the FW42 while being somewhat tighter around the sidepods. Although in retrospect, one feature of the colour scheme last year was to make it quite difficult to judge the precise shapes. Virtually everything from the radiator intake forward seems indistinguishable from the ‘42, which leads me to hope this is an interim spec.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

tomazy

Racer X

i would love to see Pepsi on the Williams the extra boost in sponsorship would help them with funding to develop their 2021 car this is the last year that team are not limited with the budget. Its probably not Pepsi but i hope a new sponsor has joined williams
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

schwepes

jjn9128 wrote:They've reused some old footage. The guy inspecting the wind tunnel with a torch has been used before.
He is still looking for the correlation between the wind tunnel and the track ;)

jjn9128

schwepes wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 08:31
jjn9128 wrote:They've reused some old footage. The guy inspecting the wind tunnel with a torch has been used before.
He is still looking for the correlation between the wind tunnel and the track ;)
Any aerodynamicist worth their salt knows you need a deerstalker and a magnifying glass to find correlation :roll:
#aerogandalf