Renault F1 R.S. 20 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PowerandtheGlory

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 20 Speculation Thread

Emag wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 01:29
djos wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 01:24
Iowa wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 14:24
From Reddit
https://i.redd.it/5tak4mh76hh41.jpg
If you zoom right in on the right-hand wing, you can see a very radical twist in the top element that appears to be designed to very forcibly drive outwash! It should be interesting to see how well this works compared to other solutions - they seem to have prioritized downforce over drag (unlike Ferrari).

https://i.imgur.com/iu91ko9.png
They had that last year. It came with an upgrade towards the end of the season.
Zoom in to see their front wing at brazil last year (right side has better light) https://i2.wp.com/f1chronicle.com/wp-co ... C435&ssl=1

Another thing that I would like to point out. I am no aerodynamic expert btw, so don't take my word for granted. Forcing the air to go to a certain position abruptly like Renault is doing is not the best option because the air will lose a lot of energy that way. They are probably using that because it's the best compromise for them at the moment in terms of front downforce and outwash generation.
Im no expert either but the front wheels are a nightmare for aero guys, this step might throw the air higher up the wheel where it is dirupted and then flows over and hopefully is pulled back into the bargeboard area and diffuser by the fast air running under the front wing to the cape and along the nose section, accelerating and causing a venturi effect, pulling the air travelling behind the wheel into that area re-attaching it to the side of the car and supercharging the diffuser.
The front wing may have been stalling because the air was being forced at the wheel and being pulled over and under causing lift and/or stability issues. This clearly throws the air up and over... most definately a different approach to ferrari etc.. and yup it would seem high D. it will be interesting to see the Low drag Canada and Monza version wing..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Iowa

Finally some spy shot from yesterday !

gosswilliams75

MtthsMlw

bad pics coming through..
via @Peke_Formula1

PowerandtheGlory

Thanks for the photos.. the Bargeboard area is too dark to see, but at least we can see suspension points a bit better and the rear of the car looks neat, quite bulky around the middle which seems to be a Renault PU thing- bit like the Mclaren, but it looks tidy. =D>
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

f1rules

yeah looks like a renault/mclaren feature, but thats also where the turbo is no? it must be one gigantic turbo this year since theyre both so chubby in that area

Emag

Tomorrow we finally get high res pictures of this car. Why didn't they post anything online when they had the car ready is beyond me. Those renders were a complete waste of time too. Worst car launch of the year imo.

Blackout

Compared to 2019

Emag

Blackout wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 13:33
Compared to 2019
https://i.imgur.com/WdyQqaj.png
Seems like the sidepods are a little slimmer, but they still have that wide af airbox. Can't make out too many details from those pictures though.

PowerandtheGlory

Emag wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 13:32
Tomorrow we finally get high res pictures of this car. Why didn't they post anything online when they had the car ready is beyond me. Those renders were a complete waste of time too. Worst car launch of the year imo.
There is no 'testing livery' to be seen and the renders were nothing. I don't even think there's more white on the car.. its just a copy and paste colour from last year.

So they kept everyone in suspense forrrrrr..... what? Pointless

Blackout

IMO this bodywork is a bit tighter than 2019 in atleast two areas: the Renault sticker at the back (like the render suggested)* and at the top of the RCI sticker at the front. Maybe that's why the bump near the "edge" sticker looks bigger. The bodywork looks a bit more shrink-wrapped around the internal organs of the car.

*the render is accurate until now. The car do have at hinner nose, a boomerang and updated mirrors.
So I was right and that's the most important point 8) :mrgreen: :arrow:
Last edited by Blackout on 18 Feb 2020, 13:45, edited 2 times in total.

PowerandtheGlory

Emag wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 13:34
Blackout wrote:
Compared to 2019
Seems like the sidepods are a little slimmer, but they still have that wide af airbox. Can't make out too many details from those pictures though.
Id like a head on comparison to see the suspension mounting points. I think they've move up, slight change in the clamshell shape compared to last year - the rear looks neat- but again need to see more. And im guessing or i hope they've gone for a letterbox intake to match the top 3 - I read somewhere that Renault's PU uses a different cooling intercooler to the other engines - i.e air cooler rather than wet charge cool.. don't quote me on that..

the EDGE

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 13:41
Emag wrote:
Blackout wrote:
Compared to 2019
Id like a head on comparison to see the suspension mounting points. I think they've move up, slight change in the clamshell shape compared to last year - the rear looks neat- but again need to see more. And im guessing or i hope they've gone for a letterbox intake to match the top 3 - I read somewhere that Renault's PU uses a different cooling intercooler to the other engines - i.e air cooler rather than wet charge cool.. don't quote me on that..
Maybe Renault have had their marketing budget slashed

PowerandtheGlory

the EDGE wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 13:42
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 13:41
Emag wrote:

Maybe Renault have had their marketing budget slashed
Most teams expected to spend more this year 'before' the cap comes in.. on all sorts of things..

AMG.Tzan

Looks like they've reduced their rake quite a lot...last year they had a lot of rake! Or is this some kind of trick system to gain straight line speed??

If not then Renault looks to have gone Mercedes's way of slim nose with cape and without the thumb and low rake!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis