McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
izzy

Re: McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 18:09
How early into 2020 will McLaren switch to developing its 2021 car?

Like everyone, we want to have a good start to the season. The speed of your 2020 car will determine to some degree when you switch all your resources towards 2021. It’s a juggling act that we have every year, but it’s more extreme this time because of the change in technical regulations for 2021.

We’re not going to sacrifice 2020; we want to have another good season because it’s important for the development of the team to have continuous improvement.

I like that bit.
they might not be going to totally sacrifice this year but changing to a Mercedes engine must mean quite a lot of extra work for 2021, with the different architecture, gearbox, cooling and everything. Also they must be thinking of 2021 as hopefully a breakthrough year so i bet they'll be giving it a lot of priority.

And they had 4th already, with quite a margin, with no chance of catching Red Bull, so there's no point overdoing 2020, when the others will be having the same tradeoff to make. So I'm not expecting anything especially stellar this year, just solid, a bit better, especially from Lando's racing

SmallSoldier

izzy wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Like everyone, we want to have a good start to the season. The speed of your 2020 car will determine to some degree when you switch all your resources towards 2021. It’s a juggling act that we have every year, but it’s more extreme this time because of the change in technical regulations for 2021.

We’re not going to sacrifice 2020; we want to have another good season because it’s important for the development of the team to have continuous improvement.

I like that bit.
they might not be going to totally sacrifice this year but changing to a Mercedes engine must mean quite a lot of extra work for 2021, with the different architecture, gearbox, cooling and everything. Also they must be thinking of 2021 as hopefully a breakthrough year so i bet they'll be giving it a lot of priority.

And they had 4th already, with quite a margin, with no chance of catching Red Bull, so there's no point overdoing 2020, when the others will be having the same tradeoff to make. So I'm not expecting anything especially stellar this year, just solid, a bit better, especially from Lando's racing
I’m actually expecting a lot from Mclaren in the 2020 season for several reasons:

A) This is the first season that feels “normal”, in previous years the team has always been plagued with issues the year before the start of a new season, whether it was the engine with Honda, the change of engines (from Honda to Renault), problems with the previous car (MCL33), changes in the team structure... 2020 comes from a solid 2019 with no major issues or changes.

B) The new structure and leadership should make an effect... The team now has a solid structure before the start of the season with all key positions in place... Seidl now has had almost a full season to settle into the team, Key has been part of the whole development of the MCL35, Stella was just promoted and will be Racing Director... The MCL35 should show what the new leadership team is capable of.

C) Both drivers now have experience with the team... For both, Sainz and Norris, 2019 was their first year with the team and obviously the experience and learnings from 2019 should translate into 2020... Not only from a driving perspective, but also on how they communicate with the team and how the team responds to their needs... Lando in particular should benefit from now having one season in F1.

That’s why I do expect good things from the team in 2020... Will they be fighting the top 3? I doubt it, the gap seems to be too big to cover it in one winter, but if they could close it by half a second or more, they could be in the mix in a few races and that would be really exciting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

izzy

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 20:06
I’m actually expecting a lot from Mclaren in the 2020 season for several reasons:

A) This is the first season that feels “normal”, in previous years the team has always been plagued with issues the year before the start of a new season, whether it was the engine with Honda, the change of engines (from Honda to Renault), problems with the previous car (MCL33), changes in the team structure... 2020 comes from a solid 2019 with no major issues or changes.

B) The new structure and leadership should make an effect... The team now has a solid structure before the start of the season with all key positions in place... Seidl now has had almost a full season to settle into the team, Key has been part of the whole development of the MCL35, Stella was just promoted and will be Racing Director... The MCL35 should show what the new leadership team is capable of.

C) Both drivers now have experience with the team... For both, Sainz and Norris, 2019 was their first year with the team and obviously the experience and learnings from 2019 should translate into 2020... Not only from a driving perspective, but also on how they communicate with the team and how the team responds to their needs... Lando in particular should benefit from now having one season in F1.

That’s why I do expect good things from the team in 2020... Will they be fighting the top 3? I doubt it, the gap seems to be too big to cover it in one winter, but if they could close it by half a second or more, they could be in the mix in a few races and that would be really exciting.
those are good points, let's hope! It's been an amazing resurrection story already. Tho the other teams will be improving as well, Honda, Alex, Esteban etc, and this year McLaren have the 'old' engine and every team knows what loads they need for the tyres this time, so the competition could be intense

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:

I like that bit.
I feel it is crucial that we give ourselves the opportunity to start on the MCL36 as soon as possible. Getting the opportunity to start on the car as early as possible is the same as getting out of the final corner onto the straight, 7kmh faster, you are more likely faster all the way down the straight, or in the seasons that follow '21 in my analogy.

There is a part of me that hopes we don't get in a fight for third next year, we'd be almost obliged to push back the MCL36 development and continue with the MCL35 car more than I'd enjoy. A comfortable and clear 4th would be acceptable in light of the possibilities in the season that follows. Or a clear and comfortable 3rd, but that would be daydreaming....

Teams such as Mercedes and Ferrari will already be developing the '21 cars, no doubt. To have the aspirations we have, to challenge at the front, we have to think to sacrifice next year, because we can never achieve that goal next year. Or let's say it is highly unlikely.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PhillipM

Mclaren are already working on the '36, have been over half a year.

proteus

PhillipM wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 09:12
Probably the whole field is, except from Haas, maybe. I bet they havent passed their order jet forward to their manufacturer.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Just_a_fan

proteus wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 11:13
PhillipM wrote:
Probably the whole field is, except from Haas, maybe. I bet they havent passed their order jet forward to their manufacturer.
Haas is busy working on Ferrari's '21 car instead... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

M840TR

izzy wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 19:44
Ground Effect wrote:

I like that bit.

The most significant relative improvements will probably come in the form of reliability. Better transmission durability, more consistent pit-stops and smoother race operations.

Wouter

M840TR wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 12:08
The most significant relative improvements will probably come in the form of reliability. Better transmission durability, more consistent pit-stops and smoother race operations.
Andreas Seidl was the temporary racing director. He has now appointed Andrea Stella as racing director.
Stella joined McLaren in 2014 and was recently performance director.

Seidl: " Motorsport is a team sport. You can never do it alone. I have a very strong line-up of people reporting into me, with James Key as technical director, Piers Thynne as production director and Andrea Stella as racing director"
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 11:27
proteus wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 11:13
PhillipM wrote:
Haas is busy working on Ferrari's '21 car instead... :lol:
If that's what keeps them afloat... do it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NixHR

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 14:03
"79 mm (a hair over 3 inches for those that only use imperial)."

Sums up imperial system just right :lol:

Eng: How much should we cut this bolt?
Boss: Just a hair over 3 inches
Eng: Sure Boss!
Last edited by NixHR on 03 Jan 2020, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

izzy

M840TR wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 12:08
yes these basics are so vital aren't they, and they'll transfer 100% to next year. It's the culture of a team and the communication, infrastructure and tools. The car itself, I think they'll settle for 'decent' if that's what they get out of the box

Xero

izzy wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 19:44
they might not be going to totally sacrifice this year but changing to a Mercedes engine must mean quite a lot of extra work for 2021, with the different architecture, gearbox, cooling and everything.
I think the vast changes in technical regulations for 2021 will almost eliminate any added work normally associated with a PU switch. The deal was also made and announced unusually early, so initial prototyping will have the Mercedes PU firmly in mind.

the EDGE

NixHR wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 13:12
Just_a_fan wrote:

You’ve not heard of fractions then no?

Individual strands of hair range in thickness from 1/1500 to 1/500 of an inch in diameter

NixHR

the EDGE wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 16:39
NixHR wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 13:12
Just_a_fan wrote:

You’ve not heard of fractions then no?

Individual strands of hair range in thickness from 1/1500 to 1/500 of an inch in diameter
I reckon F1 teams use metric system as dimensions in technical rules are expressed in them. Who in the right mind would want to use fractions?