Williams FW43

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules

Re: Williams FW43 Speculation Thread

well somehow they always produce "bold" cars, i think its nice looking, different to many, they went all in slimming the sidepods+inlet with very aggressive ramp for then to sacrify a slim engine cover and making it rather fat, but the heat needs to be handled somewhere so only logical with those sidepods

kfrantzios

Seems to tick all the "trending aero solution" boxes. Lets hope there are no issues in testing. I have a good feeling about this car.

Lotus102

f1rules wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 10:34
well somehow they always produce "bold" cars, i think its nice looking, different to many, they went all in slimming the sidepods+inlet with very aggressive ramp for then to sacrify a slim engine cover and making it rather fat, but the heat needs to be handled somewhere so only logical with those sidepods
Indeed, it looks as though the sidepod itself is even shorter and more aggressively ‘ramped’ than the Red Bull, though the engine cover is significantly bulkier. Last year’s car was apparently a bit over-cooled, so they had a fair bit of potential to tighten things up.

Blackout

Nathanael F1 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 10:26
The middle section of the engine cover looks quite bloated in comparison to the tight packaging of the sidepods.
Yes, many older Williams cars have the same characteristic since 2014. I wonder if that big belly around the engine act like an expansion chamber for the air the exits the rads

Mansell89

When I looked at the top down view i thought it may be a little wider/bloated than the other midfield teams but then this picture eased the concerns somewhat.

Williams is a great name in F1 and here’s hoping this puts them back in a respectable fight in the midfield, even if at the lower end.

Sevach

Re: Williams FW43

Last edited by Steven on 17 Feb 2020, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use self-hosted files

Sevach

My opinion? It doesn't look like it's half finished anymore, it looks like a current year car, now let's see it's performance.

ScrewCaptain27

Blackout wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 11:13
Nathanael F1 wrote:
The middle section of the engine cover looks quite bloated in comparison to the tight packaging of the sidepods.
Yes, many older Williams cars have the same characteristic since 2014. I wonder if that big belly around the engine act like an expansion chamber for the air the exits the rads
I’m sure it does, if you look at pictures of the previous cars with engine cover off that area is mostly empty space.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Sevach

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 11:41
Blackout wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 11:13
Nathanael F1 wrote:
I’m sure it does, if you look at pictures of the previous cars with engine cover off that area is mostly empty space.
Now at least they have the exits pointing down, giving some space for the air under the wing.

Just_a_fan

S'funny but the shape of the engine cover behind the sidepods reminds me of the area rule designed transonic aircraft such as the Buccaneer. Just an observation.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Thunder

Livery talk has been removed, general sponsorship Talk has been moved to the Team Thread. Come on Guys, i don't think the first Post is that hard to understand. ;)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

XRayF1

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 11:59
S'funny but the shape of the engine cover behind the sidepods reminds me of the area rule designed transonic aircraft such as the Buccaneer. Just an observation.
Very tight from the cockpit to the beginning of the rear suspension, with the mentioned exception of the sidepod width as such.
Seems like the Merc Engine will require less cooling this year - the sidepod intakes are wickedly small!

F1Krof

That mid section... looks like the car's pregnant.

Pitty how Paddy f...ed them over (pardon my language). He went on to change the concept, didn't see any light since then. Such a great team.
Wroom wroom

Sevach

Mr Brooksy

Looks so much more complex than last year's mess! There's actual detail and small fins and winglets where most other cars have had them for the past few years. Most notably the barge board area.

Looks fairly average really, which after the disaster which was the 42, is a step in the right direction.

I'm hoping that the drag issue they talked about last year is also sorted, but no mention of that in the official statements. I guess we will find out.
Last edited by Mr Brooksy on 17 Feb 2020, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989