Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DChemTech

Re: Red Bull RB16

Sieper wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:08
dren wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 16:05
godlameroso wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:59
Is changing toe between straights and curves even worth it? It doesn't look like the toe change is significant, so what could it accomplish? Slightly more stability and more tire wear and heat on straights?
On courses with long straights, the teams may run less toe than they'd prefer due to the uneven heating/wear on the straights. This could then allow Mercedes more toe and better slow speed performance on such tracks.

I still think they are doing it for an aero benefit on the straights based on their offset pushrod location.
me too, and that would make it an moveable aero device and outlawed. But apparently it is allowed.

But if adjustable toe-in is allowed and this can be achieved by moving the steerer tube, why not make a slideable steerer tube shaft and have a little motor do it (on the touch of a button) and nobody would be the wiser, plus you would be able to do it very quickly on the very last minute before the corner begins (and when it stops on corner exit). But OK, maybe an analog system with "in between" toe-in angles is even nicer.
Well, as scarbs commented on YouTube, FIA probably deemed the implementation and intent presented to them legal. One can still fight legality if it can be shown the final implementation has benefits mainly in the Aero-Department. And I guess they went with manual operation to at least avoid the discussion on active adjustment like Renault's brake balance.

bucker

Sieper wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:08
dren wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 16:05
godlameroso wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:59
Is changing toe between straights and curves even worth it? It doesn't look like the toe change is significant, so what could it accomplish? Slightly more stability and more tire wear and heat on straights?
On courses with long straights, the teams may run less toe than they'd prefer due to the uneven heating/wear on the straights. This could then allow Mercedes more toe and better slow speed performance on such tracks.

I still think they are doing it for an aero benefit on the straights based on their offset pushrod location.
me too, and that would make it an moveable aero device and outlawed. But apparently it is allowed.

But if adjustable toe-in is allowed and this can be achieved by moving the steerer tube, why not make a slideable steerer tube shaft and have a little motor do it (on the touch of a button) and nobody would be the wiser, plus you would be able to do it very quickly on the very last minute before the corner begins (and when it stops on corner exit). But OK, maybe an analog system with "in between" toe-in angles is even nicer.
Adjustable toe-in. It is steering wheel movement. They are moving the steering wheel all the time and changing toe. They used steering wheel in a different way to do this. If they would use some sort of motors, it would be illegal, but now they are probably physically moving complete steering column. Red Bull fan here, but hat down for such amazing innovation from Mercedes.

Morteza

Guys, I have a question. Why are they using two different colors of flow-vis?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Maybe they're also different with regards to viscosity and stuff like that.
Maybe one that only really flows at higher speeds while the other starts to move at lower speeds.
The patterns are a bit different on each side I think.

Capharol

Morteza wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:28
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/A ... 671824.jpg
could it be that they are looking at the different aeroflow on both sides, and the different color gives them a better idea :?:

Owen.C93

MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:34
Maybe they're also different with regards to viscosity and stuff like that.
Maybe one that only really flows at higher speeds while the other starts to move at lower speeds.
The patterns are a bit different on each side I think.
Different viscosity and drying time is most likely.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

godlameroso

That's some nice airflow. This car is starting to be ominous and I like it. Not saying it's going to dominate, I doubt Mercedes is pushing, but the long run pace of the Red Bull is mighty compared to last year at this early stage. It's ominous because Red Bull will be developing the car all the way to Melbourne, what we see now isn't the car's final form.
Saishū kōnā

RedNEO

godlameroso wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 22:18
That's some nice airflow. This car is starting to be ominous and I like it. Not saying it's going to dominate, I doubt Mercedes is pushing, but the long run pace of the Red Bull is mighty compared to last year at this early stage. It's ominous because Red Bull will be developing the car all the way to Melbourne, what we see now isn't the car's final form.
I wonder how big the change will be in week 2. Hope it’s something special.

FMP
FMP

Morteza wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:28
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/A ... 671824.jpg
The yellow (left side) is looking good. My understanding isn't great but isn't there some separation on the top part on the white (right side). My memory from last year is that some separation towards the top is always going to occur but this seems be going down a bit.

bosyber

That's a nicely tidy set of lines, isn't it!

aral

Just a reminder that this is the Red Bull RB16 technical thread, and has nothing to do with Mercedes.

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

Sieper

Yes, still center line radiator but the packaging of that (especially around the back) is now much tighter. Last season they had a exit gap and room of about 3 cm, now I see almost no gap at all anymore.

Pyrone89

Any early indications how large the pace deficit is to the W11?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.