Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pyrone89

Re: Red Bull RB16

I have now looked at multiple video's of the RB16 today and last week and I notice a constant sliding / lack of stability at the rear. Also the spins of Max in sector 3.

I think they have a issue with lack of rear downforce again.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

F1Krof

Pyrone89 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 21:22
I have now looked at multiple video's of the RB16 today and last week and I notice a constant sliding / lack of stability at the rear. Also the spins of Max in sector 3.

I'm not saying your observation is incorrect, I just want to point out that the current consensus from all F1 pundits is that RB16 is the most stable car all around, slow, mid and high speed corners, especially traction and corner exit, also kerb riding. They even say it is better than Merc through trackside observation. It could be that the laps you've been observing were on particularly high fuel loads.
Wroom wroom

Wouter

F1Krof wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 21:29
Pyrone89 wrote:

I'm not saying your observation is incorrect, I just want to point out that the current consensus from all F1 pundits is that RB16 is the most stable car all around, slow, mid and high speed corners, especially traction and corner exit, also kerb riding. They even say it is better than Merc through trackside observation.
@F1Krof, exactly !!
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

Pyrone89 wrote:

Seeing it on track, it don't look unstable at all on the rear. Like I said, on the 1st sector the car looks super stable going uphill. Also on braking is superb, and the driver can put throttle without any problems soon

kasio

Pyrone89 wrote:

Today i see a new front wing. i cannot find if anybody speaks or writes about it. But it looks like thay test "alfastyle" frontwing today. (outside of wing is low in oposite to what they had in test 1)
somebody can confirm ?
And thats actually explains sliding. as i have noticed that too.

MartijnA3

kasio wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 21:33

Today i see a new front wing. i cannot find if anybody speaks or writes about it.

I can't see the difference with what they had last week?

Pyrone89

Hope your guys are right.

We will see from Melbourne onwards
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

F1Krof

Pyrone89 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 22:31
Hope your guys are right.

We will see from Melbourne onwards
It's not gonna be a smooth sailing, as we know Mercs are obviously strong. I believe it's gonna take Honda making that step.
Wroom wroom

AMG.Tzan

The car was unstable on slow speed corner exit like Turn 5! That has to do with throttle application rather than downforce!

Also the spins at sector 3 were all from Verstapen...maybe he is pushing too much there or the engine braking is a bit aggressive maybe?! It's a tricky negative camber corner and many drivers look unstable there!

All in all i also read everywhere how stable the Red Bull is...and in truth it looks more stable than Mercedes from the F1 TV stream i was watching!

Albon's fastest lap on the C2 tires was really impressive...and seeing the lap live i thought he left 0.1-0.2 on the table in the last sector!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Hkbruin2

kasio wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

Today i see a new front wing. i cannot find if anybody speaks or writes about it. But it looks like thay test "alfastyle" frontwing today. (outside of wing is low in oposite to what they had in test 1)
somebody can confirm ?
I noticed the new front wing as well! The top most element curved down towards the end plates, which closely resembles the AT01 front wing, which isn’t as shallow as the Alfa. I was curious too that the commentators weren’t mentioning the wing as it was being shown on the feed. Maybe I missed it being mentioned.

GhostF1

AMG.Tzan wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 01:31
The car was unstable on slow speed corner exit like Turn 5! That has to do with throttle application rather than downforce!

Also the spins at sector 3 were all from Verstapen...maybe he is pushing too much there or the engine braking is a bit aggressive maybe?! It's a tricky negative camber corner and many drivers look unstable there!

All in all i also read everywhere how stable the Red Bull is...and in truth it looks more stable than Mercedes from the F1 TV stream i was watching!

Albon's fastest lap on the C2 tires was really impressive...and seeing the lap live i thought he left 0.1-0.2 on the table in the last sector!
Agreed, I saw the lap live as well, he 100% left plenty in it at Sector 3. Gasly and Kvyat were doing that a fair bit as well, great first two sectors, left a bit of room in the last. Likely intentionally, it is the sector that was most scrutinised and watched last season.

Curbstone

kasio wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

somebody can confirm ?
I don't think they drove with a new wing, could you show any pictures?
I didn't see any difference between yesterday and last week, see also the pictures below:
Both had the upward curvature of the main plain towards the endplates, and an somewhat lower placement of the top elements near the endplates.

19-02-2020:

26-02-2020: Image

KiLLu12258

Pyrone89 wrote:

why not using a bigger rear wing like mercedes and ferrari?

dxpetrov

I believe they are testing the car in its default setup, in order to make reference for overall balance and closer to what they had in last year's winter testing. Therefore they don't seem to worried and actually encouraged that they could achieve good times without the optimal configuration for the track.

scheffers

Will be exciting to see when they start pushing and putting up a tad bigger wing in the back at least..!