Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Red Bull RB16

wowgr8 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 07:14
MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 20:52
They better reinforce that bit for Hungary.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ecvms_iXsAE ... name=large
via @LuisFeF1
More to do with the kerbs I suspect and not pure flimsy build quality
Idk, they broke off on both cars. They definitely want to look at it.

Just_a_fan

The rear wing vibrates a lot over kerbs and the RedBull guys were making full use of those. As that part is only held on by the thin vanes at each end, it's perhaps not surprising to see it fail.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:39
The rear wing vibrates a lot over kerbs and the RedBull guys were making full use of those. As that part is only held on by the thin vanes at each end, it's perhaps not surprising to see it fail.
Its the resonant frequency of the movement that does the damage as much as the movement its self. I don't know if kerbing is all from a standard supplier or done track by track. If the latter, it may not be a problem anywhere else.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

Fulcrum wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 07:59
etusch wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:16
JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:06

What do you mean sharpen?

It seems both Red Bull and Honda are struggling to find the gains necessary to have leading pace.

Which areas on the RB16 have potential for improvement? Especially the large scale five tenths or so per lap that Red Bull and Honda may wish to find?

Maybe, sadly, development potential of this series of Red Bull cars is becoming maxed out? :?
I mean they have to solve issues to mature design.
I don't know if you watched second race. Verstappen was slower than merc with softs but almost same pace with mediums.
If you're talking about Bottas, maybe. Hamilton, not at all. Hamilton didn't show his true pace after the pitstop, until he dropped a 1:06:719 on 40 lap old tyres.

The Red Bull package seemed to induce greater tyre wear than the Merc at this circuit. Verstappen had to pit first, as he was rapidly losing time to both Hamilton and Bottas.

Looking at the onboard footage during the wet qualifying sessions, I think power delivery may be partly responsible. Verstappen had significantly more instances of broken traction in the wet than Hamilton or Bottas.
If you make less downforce in the rear your car will slide more and wear the tires faster.

The damage to the car probably cost them a few tenths, but the gap to Mercedes is big. By my reckoning it looks like they really are around half a second back. Red Bull needs to claw back .3 to mount a challenge. Unfortunately for RB Honda cannot further develop the performance of the engine, so it's up to the chassis.
Saishū kōnā

TNTHead

godlameroso wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 17:35
Fulcrum wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 07:59
etusch wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:16

I mean they have to solve issues to mature design.
I don't know if you watched second race. Verstappen was slower than merc with softs but almost same pace with mediums.
If you're talking about Bottas, maybe. Hamilton, not at all. Hamilton didn't show his true pace after the pitstop, until he dropped a 1:06:719 on 40 lap old tyres.

The Red Bull package seemed to induce greater tyre wear than the Merc at this circuit. Verstappen had to pit first, as he was rapidly losing time to both Hamilton and Bottas.

Looking at the onboard footage during the wet qualifying sessions, I think power delivery may be partly responsible. Verstappen had significantly more instances of broken traction in the wet than Hamilton or Bottas.
If you make less downforce in the rear your car will slide more and wear the tires faster.

The damage to the car probably cost them a few tenths, but the gap to Mercedes is big. By my reckoning it looks like they really are around half a second back. Red Bull needs to claw back .3 to mount a challenge. Unfortunately for RB Honda cannot further develop the performance of the engine, so it's up to the chassis.
I wonder what -under the current rule set- is the maximum potential for a high rake concept. Isn't it that RB is very near the maximum potential already developed? Than you can't develop any further or only small gains (law of diminishing returns). Somehow over and over again they develop over the winter a car with an unstable backend, which they fix during the season. This has enormous implications, on driveability and even which driver can cope with that. Or is it that they change a tiny bit at the front and need to restructure the second half of the car to get it working?

godlameroso

If the potential was limited they wouldn't be so far ahead of the other teams. They're not as fast as Mercedes, we'll see if they can make the car better as the season progresses. If they take their yearly half second jump they'll be right there with Mercedes.
Saishū kōnā

Pyrone89

Well according to some, including the warning from Horner, the RP (aka 2019 copy Mercedes) is even faster. So it is more and more starting to look like the Mercedes low-rake design has been the right approach all along. Especially with the upcoming 2021 floor cuts which will hurt high-rake again much more than low-rake because of the absolute necessity of exactly that piece of bodywork to seal the diffuser.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 22:48
If the potential was limited they wouldn't be so far ahead of the other teams. They're not as fast as Mercedes, we'll see if they can make the car better as the season progresses. If they take their yearly half second jump they'll be right there with Mercedes.
The thing that is worrying for RB is that they just spent 2 weekends back-to-back testing completely different parts, as if they're still uncertain as to which direction to go. Parts that are critical for the development of the rest of the car.

That's going to cost them development time when they're still unsure of which path to go down.

And the car is still suffering from spins in low-speed corners.

godlameroso

zibby43 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 22:58
godlameroso wrote:
The thing that is worrying for RB is that they just spent 2 weekends back-to-back testing completely different parts, as if they're still uncertain as to which direction to go. Parts that are critical for the development of the rest of the car.

That's going to cost them development time when they're still unsure of which path to go down.

Exactly how many times did they spin in the race? I'm sure they know how to develop the car, they just need to make the parts last. I feel that they are rushing development as fast as they can.

Low rake car means the rear suspension has to be reworked. A high rake car has the benefit of having a softer rear suspension. I still think that the area to focus on is the bargeboards because they will have to make up for the clipped floor next year.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 23:21
zibby43 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Exactly how many times did they spin in the race? I'm sure they know how to develop the car, they just need to make the parts last. I feel that they are rushing development as fast as they can.

Low rake car means the rear suspension has to be reworked. A high rake car has the benefit of having a softer rear suspension. I still think that the area to focus on is the bargeboards because they will have to make up for the clipped floor next year.
Just because they didn't spin in the race doesn't mean it's not a problem. Max seems to be able to drive around the issue more, but the car was still suffering from the spins this weekend, and Albon was very vocal about the unpredictability of the car's balance (at times, in particular corners) over the radio. I'm just echoing what I'm seeing/hearing.

In terms of the development, I was referring to their continued tinkering with critical areas of the car, such as the nose, for example. That's going to affect the air downstream. And it affects how the car behaves in cornering. I believe they raced with the old nose with the squared off tip and their more traditional FW mounting pylons.

Think they ended up racing with the old floor, as well.

ENGINE TUNER

MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 20:52
They better reinforce that bit for Hungary.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ecvms_iXsAE ... name=large
via @LuisFeF1
The entire wing was shaking from the rear view onboard shots, on the straights, not on the kurbs

I think more than just that part needs reinforcing, the vibrations probably caused that part to break off.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 14 Jul 2020, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

zibby43 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 23:57
godlameroso wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 23:21
zibby43 wrote:

Just because they didn't spin in the race doesn't mean it's not a problem. Max seems to be able to drive around the issue more, but the car was still suffering from the spins this weekend, and Albon was very vocal about the unpredictability of the car's balance (at times, in particular corners) over the radio. I'm just echoing what I'm seeing/hearing.

In terms of the development, I was referring to their continued tinkering with critical areas of the car, such as the nose, for example. That's going to affect the air downstream. And it affects how the car behaves in cornering. I believe they raced with the old nose with the squared off tip and their more traditional FW mounting pylons.

Think they ended up racing with the old floor, as well.
I don't think we'll see another package until the second Silverstone race.
Saishū kōnā

Pyrone89

Whoever says that RB will have less issues with aero stalling like in Austria because of ‘slower corners’ might wanna check an onboard lap of Hungary. The track is full of medium to high speed tight corners. Exactly the type of corners RB is hurting. Yes, the straights are shorter but that is the only positive side. Until they fix their unstable aero, which especially manifests Itself in tight/tightening medium to high speed corners they are in big trouble for this race too
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Morteza

T-wing and high-downforce rear wing for Hungary

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

HPD