Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Red Bull RB16

It occurred to me, last year Red Bull had an upright guide vane at the edge of the bargeboard, which combined with the bargeboard created a sort of tunnel. Mercedes, and now McLaren have tried exploiting this area, this year Red Bull instead have gone with a different arrangement, using the two little horizontal winglets to channel air instead of an upright. I suppose that the channel is difficult to achieve with the rest of side pod end fences.

Last year this vertical end fence was at the edge and tip of the bargeboards, and used the trailing slope of the bargeboard to create a sort of tunnel.

If this area has been deemed to work better with those little wings instead of the vane tunnel, who am I to judge. However that area has changed and not sure it changed for the better.
Saishū kōnā

timbo

I have noticed a red glow on the inside wheel rim, it should not be a brake glow, as it is visible long after a braking zone in the middle of the straight. Is it from temperature sensor?

Mattchu

Could just be a sunlight reflection of the shiny rim of the wheel like you see on the tyre in that shot. Iv`e had a look and can`t see where a sensor could be that points there, maybe in the wing camera housing.

timbo

Mattchu wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:51
Could just be a sunlight reflection of the shiny rim of the wheel like you see on the tyre in that shot.
No, I've seen it consistently over the last few races, and it's red. I wonder if it is some sort of digital camera artifact.

Marti_EF3

I thought it was the reflection of the brake discs after heavy braking :roll:

Wynters

timbo wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 15:25
I have noticed a red glow on the inside wheel rim, it should not be a brake glow, as it is visible long after a braking zone in the middle of the straight. Is it from temperature sensor?

https://i.postimg.cc/Twb0XpJ4/2020-08-02-16-20-11.png
Whatever it is, it's super clear on both of Albon's front tyres just as he's about to collide with K-Mag (there should be ample footage available).

timbo

Marti_EF3 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:28
I thought it was the reflection of the brake discs after heavy braking :roll:
My screenshot was made when Verstappen was near the end of the main straight in Austria; the brakes must be cool at that point.

seense

Its reflexion of the red stripe on the side of the nose.

timbo

seense wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 09:16
Its reflexion of the red stripe on the side of the nose.
Hmm, yeah, probably it.
Visible here too

Xwang

Yesterday I've seen a similar one on a Ferrari car so probably is just reflection of the surrounding red.
I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Sieper

On Timbo’s video thumbnail you see it even on the tire side wall, must indeed be a reflection of the very vivid red of the Red Bull letters/logo on the frontwing.

Bill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech ... ign=widget

Has high rake cars has its day in f1

Just_a_fan

Bill wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 17:38
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech ... ign=widget

Has high rake cars has its day in f1
Interesting that the article says that the floor edge slots help the low rake cars as much as the high rake ones. Which makes sense as they all use those slots in varying ways. Will be interesting to see what happens next year when they are banned and the floor edge sloped in on plan.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

godlameroso

So shallower rear wing?
Saishū kōnā