Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
lio007

Re: Red Bull RB16

They have also changed the engine cover (but I think this has already been done pre-Spain)
OLD:

NEW:

lio007

godlameroso wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 06:51
They changed the rear suspension.
What exactly do you think is new?
OLD:
preseason:
Austria:

NEW? - Spain:

zibby43

lio007 wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 09:01
godlameroso wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 06:51
They changed the rear suspension.
What exactly do you think is new?
OLD:
preseason:
https://i.imgur.com/---.jpg
Austria:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcALrXRXkAE ... name=small

NEW? - Spain:
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... er-a-1.jpg
Looks the same to me.

Sieper

They do look very similar but at least at the very rear around the rear suspension the split was first Just in front of the wishbone and on the newer pictures it is just behind the suspension arm.

ME4ME

Not relevant for this weekend, but one thing to look out for for the Belgium GP at Spa is if there will be any changes regarding the wastegate exhaust pipes.

If qualifying mode is indeed banned and they'll use the energy efficient wastegate-mostely-closed race-mode throughout the weekend, I guess there will no longer be need for or benefit from a dual pipe solution. A single centred pipe might suffice. Saving some weight, space and CoG penalty.

Currently I think it's commonly accepted that in qualifying they run a wastefull but powerfull mode whereby they reduce power-sipping turbine load and just drive the compressor using the MGU-H in motoring mode. Using energy from the fully-charged battery where possible.

It might have some aerodynamic implications too if they stop sending that volume of exhaust gasses out through the wastegates in qualifying to blow the rear wing and join the already-upward flow of air. They might lose a tiny bit of aero performance.

Could be wrong about the actual detailed wastegate strategy though. I'm sure Gruntguru has more than a thing to say about the above simplification :lol:

HungarianRacer

They've DEFINITELY changed the sidepod packaging, side radiators look more shrink-wrapped, flatter/more aggressive rearward slope.

Marti_EF3

zibby43

HungarianRacer wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 11:24
They've DEFINITELY changed the sidepod packaging, side radiators look more shrink-wrapped, flatter/more aggressive rearward slope.
Do you mind pointing out the difference you're referencing? Perhaps a side-by-side? I'm not seeing any differences in the engine cover or rear suspension area compared to Silverstone.

Thus far, none of the tech gurus (Fabrega, Sommerfield, Scarbs, Piola, etc.) have pointed out any visible exterior upgrades on the Red Bull this weekend.

And Sommerfield even did an article/photo gallery on all the cars this weekend. No mention of any visible upgrades on the Mercedes or the Red Bull.

Marko had an interview earlier in the week that indicated Red Bull had some new parts, but I think these upgrades are "under the skin."

HungarianRacer

zibby43 wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 08:47
HungarianRacer wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 11:24
Do you mind pointing out the difference you're referencing? Perhaps a side-by-side? I'm not seeing any differences in the engine cover or rear suspension area compared to Silverstone.

Thus far, none of the tech gurus (Fabrega, Sommerfield, Scarbs, Piola, etc.) have pointed out any visible exterior upgrades on the Red Bull this weekend.

And Sommerfield even did an article/photo gallery on all the cars this weekend. No mention of any visible upgrades on the Mercedes or the Red Bull.

Marko had an interview earlier in the week that indicated Red Bull had some new parts, but I think these upgrades are "under the skin."
OLD: Image
NEW:

Pay close attention to the rearward slope/indentation on the top of the sidepod, especially around the "Bull" area:

Sorry for using Microsoft Paint, I am not a digital artist.

Sieper

I think you are right. From under the E symbol the flatter area to the rear (“above” the sidepod) is bigger. That would Indeed mean the sidepod has become skinnier.

Also, this is the one thing I spotted after you first posted this. The place where the bodywork is split around the rear suspension is changed. It was just before the upper suspension arm and is now just behind it. I think it flares out a bit more also.

HungarianRacer

Sieper wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 10:48
I think you are right. From under the E symbol the flatter area to the rear (“above” the sidepod) is bigger. That would Indeed mean the sidepod has become skinnier.

Also, this is the one thing I spotted after you first posted this. The place where the bodywork is split around the rear suspension is changed. It was just before the upper suspension arm and is now just behind it. I think it flares out a bit more also.
Yeah, the curvature of the red line above the large "Red Bull" sticker also makes the change somewhat easier to spot. The rear bodywork could easily be track/temperature-specific, although the new cutouts for the rear suspension arms probably aren't.

Godius

Sieper wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 00:17
Indeed. That was one developed during the season stoppage. It didn’t really gave the upgrade back then but maybe now as they have remedied the main issue it will work? In any case, good sign that these parts are back.
I reckon they are just using it as a pit stop practice prop.

etusch

this is from second silverstone race

Sieper

Godius wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 12:44
Sieper wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 00:17
Indeed. That was one developed during the season stoppage. It didn’t really gave the upgrade back then but maybe now as they have remedied the main issue it will work? In any case, good sign that these parts are back.
I reckon they are just using it as a pit stop practice prop.
Or just to transport the car. They haven’t used it as far as I saw.

ispano6

etusch wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 13:05
this is from second silverstone race

https://i.ibb.co/S38v1hy/Ekran-Resmi-20 ... -04-05.png
Yep, the sidepod inlets/duct changed shape as well.