Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
lio007

Re: Red Bull RB16

just saw a new slot in Max' cape:

Sieper

Good spot. I saw an engineer on his back under the car checking exactly that place.

Wouter

Under the white arrow you can see how the pushrod can be adjusted.

The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

godlameroso

The front wing has changed, not just the foot plate cavity, but also where the wing joins the endplate. There's a small curve that seems to transition into the front wing elements, accenting the outwash capability of the outer edge of the front wing.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules

i highlighted this dark rb picture and out came this very nice flow structure picture, look how even spread, i love it

_cerber1

godlameroso

_cerber1 wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 12:33
The front wing lowest element has been made bigger, and there's a bigger curve where the element meets the 250 section. The mouth of the cape is bigger, no doubt to capture more airflow.

Looks like they're using their "T" wing and rear upper A arm in a clever way with their wastegate pipes. 8)

Engine cover has improved, looks tighter.
Saishū kōnā

dousberg

A nice comparison from formule1.nl, link below;

https://www.formule1.nl/nieuws/inzoomfo ... k-te-zien/

First two photo's show a clear difference between Albon's and Verstappen's frontwing on the exact same spot on the circuit. Photo 3 and 4 show a comparison between the right and the left side of Verstappen's frontwing. Added the yellow circles to indicate the difference between the angle of the left and right upper flaps. Especially the transition of both upperflaps on either side!

Image Image
ImageImage

F1NAC

godlameroso wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 16:32
_cerber1 wrote:
The front wing lowest element has been made bigger, and there's a bigger curve where the element meets the 250 section. The mouth of the cape is bigger, no doubt to capture more airflow.

Looks like they're using their "T" wing and rear upper A arm in a clever way with their wastegate pipes. 8)

RB is not using T wing... or did I miss something?

Sieper

F1NAC wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 17:50
godlameroso wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

It is very low, almost in the shadows. On the level of the top of the rear light.

godlameroso

F1NAC wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 17:50
godlameroso wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

You can just make it out here on the top pic. In line with the yellow arrow.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:

Isn't the position of the waste gate pipes more just about freeing the exit for the cooling outlet around the exhaust? By sticking it alongside the crash structure, it's in an area of poor flow anyway so likely has less impact on the cooling package. Also, the race was cold so they probably banked on being able to run a tighter engine cover as cooling would also be less of an issue in the first place.

I'd be interested to hear how you think they might be interacting the waste gate pipes with the t-wing/suspension arm.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ryaan2904

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 19:50
godlameroso wrote:

Isn't the position of the waste gate pipes more just about freeing the exit for the cooling outlet around the exhaust? By sticking it alongside the crash structure, it's in an area of poor flow anyway so likely has less impact on the cooling package. Also, the race was cold so they probably banked on being able to run a tighter engine cover as cooling would also be less of an issue in the first place.

I'd be interested to hear how you think they might be interacting the waste gate pipes with the t-wing/suspension arm.
I think motorsport Italy analysed this. They said that this whole wastegate upgrade is a bid to improve stability in slow corners/hard breaking. The idea is to improve the flow under the rear wing area to aid both the diffuser and the rear wing. The rear wing because high flow/speed just underneath the rear wing will cause high pressure on the flatter/lower part of the wing and thus increase efficient downforce.
The major goal is to prevent stalling of air in low speeds to aid slow cornering.
Also said the gold paint sort of thing on the exhaust is a heat resistant to aid in all this. Dunno how tho
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

ryaan2904 wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 20:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 19:50
godlameroso wrote:

I think motorsport Italy analysed this. They said that this whole wastegate upgrade is a bid to improve stability in slow corners/hard breaking. The idea is to improve the flow under the rear wing area to aid both the diffuser and the rear wing. The rear wing because high flow/speed just underneath the rear wing will cause high pressure on the flatter/lower part of the wing and thus increase efficient downforce.
The major goal is to prevent stalling of air in low speeds to aid slow cornering.
Also said the gold paint sort of thing on the exhaust is a heat resistant to aid in all this. Dunno how tho
I just remembered, they said that RB may want to use the MGU H to spin the turbo during breaking/slow speeds, which will blow the wastegates
CFD Eyes of Sauron