Racing Point RP20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Racing Point RP20

Asymmetric halo cooling outlets.

Gibbs

I think it's likely they are doing a direct comparison of the two rather than intending to use them in this configuration.

Drica

Will RP develop this car or just rest on its outright performance to build a big enough points reserve at the start of the season so they can focus on next year and 2022 regs change?

Sorry if it was already mentioned before

jjn9128

Gibbs wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 02:02
I think it's likely they are doing a direct comparison of the two rather than intending to use them in this configuration.
Heat exchangers aren't symmetrical on both sides. Typically engine water and oil one side and charge air and electonics cooler on the other, with gearbox oil fed through roll hoop, but many configurations are possible.
Drica wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 12:56
Will RP develop this car or just rest on its outright performance to build a big enough points reserve at the start of the season so they can focus on next year and 2022 regs change?

Next year the chassis have to be carried over for cost saving (exception being McLaren switching to Mercedes PU) so if they don't develop they'll be left behind. Means they're stuck with the high side impact position for another season.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Blackout

+ Water and oil do not have the same thermal capacity. But do you think that the difference may increase with altitude/atmospheric pressure and ambient air temp?

Blackout

jjn9128 wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 14:20
Next year the chassis have to be carried over for cost saving (exception being McLaren switching to Mercedes PU) so if they don't develop they'll be left behind. Means they're stuck with the high side impact position for another season.
:!:
AFAIK every team can change 50% of its monocoque in 2021 because the FIA has divided it in two halves, separated by the B-B section, and each half costs 2 tokens...

trinidefender

Does anyone know how many times it took racing point to pass the nose crash test?

Racer X

trinidefender wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 18:57
Does anyone know how many times it took racing point to pass the nose crash test?
No need that nose had already passed the crash test in 2019 :D
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

F1Krof

I have a feeling they'll already be lagging after 3-4 races. I just don't see a way they'll be able to develop the car to such extent that they could stay close to Red Bull and/or ahead of the middle field. That Mercedes is not a simple car.
Wroom wroom

Mchamilton

Drica wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 12:56

they already upgraded the rear wing from testing to a copy of Mercedes 2020 design

wesley123

F1Krof wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 10:54
I have a feeling they'll already be lagging after 3-4 races. I just don't see a way they'll be able to develop the car to such extent that they could stay close to Red Bull and/or ahead of the middle field. That Mercedes is not a simple car.
The update they brought to Australia was quite substantial. Also because it is a relatively small team there is a lot of time to be won in fully understanding the car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

trinidefender

Racer X wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 23:30
trinidefender wrote:
I was actually asking because I'm trying to see if there is any evidence of sharing or stolen IP.

The nose crash test is very hard to pass in the first crash test when it's a totally new nose design as this is (at least for RP). If they passed the crash test the first time they tried then it will look awfully suspicious.

Copying the design outside is one thing but if it's found that the structural layout of the nose is the same then that would be a huge red flag.

I tried googling it and all that I found was that they were the first team to declare passing the crash test phase....which does add some credence to the hypothesis that they may have not come up with the design themselves.

IvailoStefanovBG

I remember Mercedes saying development of that structure took them over an year and assistance from NASA engineers, because of the bonus weight reduction. Last year they had serious weight problems that led to bad cooling and solved them by this new crash structure...Maybe RP engineers are geniuses....

F1Krof

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 18:51
I remember Mercedes saying development of that structure took them over an year and assistance from NASA engineers, because of the bonus weight reduction. Last year they had serious weight problems that led to bad cooling and solved them by this new crash structure...Maybe RP engineers are geniuses....
Maybe, they consulted the same NASA engineers Mercedes did. Mercedes merely pointed to the right guys.
Wroom wroom

Edax

trinidefender wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 15:49
Racer X wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 23:30
trinidefender wrote:
I was actually asking because I'm trying to see if there is any evidence of sharing or stolen IP.

The nose crash test is very hard to pass in the first crash test when it's a totally new nose design as this is (at least for RP). If they passed the crash test the first time they tried then it will look awfully suspicious.

Copying the design outside is one thing but if it's found that the structural layout of the nose is the same then that would be a huge red flag.

I tried googling it and all that I found was that they were the first team to declare passing the crash test phase....which does add some credence to the hypothesis that they may have not come up with the design themselves.
Considering that Bottas and Hamilton left a couple of noses scattered around different circuits (Australia, Mexico, Germany, Austria) I think most teams are pretty much aware of the internal layout by now.