Racing Point RP20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
JordanMugen
57
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

MtthsMlw wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:07 pm
Looks like they're trying to emulate the high sidepod inlet without lowering the upper SIPS.
They are some very radical shapes, good on them. =D>

Coefficient wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:18 pm
Coriander effect for better lap thyme!
:lol:

Will there be any funny business (protests) about the new RP20 front brake ducts that are suspiciously similar to the 2020 Mercedes front brake ducts? :?:

Image
Source: Formula One Management

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
474
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

Emag wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:32 pm
Yes, if i recall correctly RedBull was pretty much designed around this concept in 2013. Although not as tight as they are able to get the cars nowadays. There was less room back then because the cars were a little bit shorter and I think the engines were bulkier too (V8 vs V6's now). Even with the complicated hybrid system they managed to make these things incredibly compact.
V8 Engine packages were smaller . No heavy turbo piping and hardware. Look at this engine cover.

Image
Not driving a Mercedes? Work harder!

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
474
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:54 pm
MtthsMlw wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:07 pm
Looks like they're trying to emulate the high sidepod inlet without lowering the upper SIPS.
They are some very radical shapes, good on them. =D>

Coefficient wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:18 pm
Coriander effect for better lap thyme!
:lol:

Will there be any funny business (protests) about the new RP20 front brake ducts that are suspiciously similar to the 2020 Mercedes front brake ducts? :?:

https://i.imgur.com/e6Ps3T6.jpg
Source: Formula One Management
Lol
Not driving a Mercedes? Work harder!

Emag
Emag
44
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 pm
Emag wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:32 pm
Yes, if i recall correctly RedBull was pretty much designed around this concept in 2013. Although not as tight as they are able to get the cars nowadays. There was less room back then because the cars were a little bit shorter and I think the engines were bulkier too (V8 vs V6's now). Even with the complicated hybrid system they managed to make these things incredibly compact.
V8 Engine packages were smaller . No heavy turbo piping and hardware. Look at this engine cover.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ia_FP1.jpg
Very bulky sidepods though. But that's down to the cooling requirements more than the packaging of the engine itself so yeah, you are right. Still the power units that F1 uses today are incredibly compact considering all the different systems that are fit into it.

User avatar
Morteza
2279
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

Matthew Somerfield wrote:They've also revised their rear wing endplate design, now I wonder where I might have seen that tail on the lowermost strake before (blue arrow)
They've also added this upwash strike in a high & forward position (red arrow), so kudos for that one, not seen that elsewhere
Image
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
474
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

Emag wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:34 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 pm
Emag wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:32 pm
Yes, if i recall correctly RedBull was pretty much designed around this concept in 2013. Although not as tight as they are able to get the cars nowadays. There was less room back then because the cars were a little bit shorter and I think the engines were bulkier too (V8 vs V6's now). Even with the complicated hybrid system they managed to make these things incredibly compact.
V8 Engine packages were smaller . No heavy turbo piping and hardware. Look at this engine cover.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ia_FP1.jpg
Very bulky sidepods though. But that's down to the cooling requirements more than the packaging of the engine itself so yeah, you are right. Still the power units that F1 uses today are incredibly compact considering all the different systems that are fit into it.
Not really, The bulky sidepods are because of the Coanda exhaust system. They could be smaller.... The exahust bundles were bigger because the exhaust was aimed for aero advantage.. And radiator techniques was not as advanced. We see teams mounting a lot of the cooling on top and behind the engine these days because they have the space afforded by the long wheelbases of today.. If the NA cars had long a wheelbase as these turbo ones.... Their side pods would look small too.
Not driving a Mercedes? Work harder!

User avatar
Blackout
785
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

Emag wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:32 pm
Yes, if i recall correctly RedBull was pretty much designed around this concept in 2013. Although not as tight as they are able to get the cars nowadays. There was less room back then because the cars were a little bit shorter and I think the engines were bulkier too (V8 vs V6's now). Even with the complicated hybrid system they managed to make these things incredibly compact.
Many Red Bulls were designed around this concept.

The widest area of the undercut is postponed in order to put the lowest pressure area around the sides more backward, in a place where it can attract the sidepod top air flow, with the help of the overcut that forms a 'ramp'...
https://i.imgur.com/BUdbjS6.jpg
This RP is more radical. And I dunno if it follows the same principal...
Image.
Last edited by Blackout on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAPI10
NAPI10
35
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

RP has definitely taken a step forward contrary to the speculation that they won’t be able to upgrade this package. =D>

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
474
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

Any pics of the new bargeboards?
Not driving a Mercedes? Work harder!

crazychrome
crazychrome
6
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

New sidepod air intakes are very reminiscent of the W09 Austria update.

Image
Image

One should note that the original W10's sidepod intakes were an evolved version of the W09's.

User avatar
pierrre
31
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:45 pm
Location: a jungle somewhere

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

whats interesting about strolss new aerodynamic sidepod package is how they changed the front intake combined with the drop behind the radiator...linking the two ends
facebook @speedphysics
youtube/c/speedphysics

NAPI10
NAPI10
35
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

The Mugello updates that show Racing Point's RP20 is moving away from its Mercedes W10 inspiration....
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... k0myZ.html

User avatar
Morteza
2279
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NAPI10
NAPI10
35
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

Will this new direction align with Mercedes’ 2020 suspension and transmission which they will acquire next year?

User avatar
MtthsMlw
858
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Racing Point RP20

Post

NAPI10 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 pm
Will this new direction align with Mercedes’ 2020 suspension and transmission which they will acquire next year?
The reshaped sidepod and engine cover surely energizes the airflow to the diffuser - something you always want to do.
The 2020 Merc rear suspension cleans up some of the disruption introduced by the rear wishbones, making sure that the energized airflow fulfills its job.