Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mamba

Re: Ferrari SF1000

motobaleno wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 11:58
a slim nose would imply a new homologation procedure and crash test well before the track debut
Those tests take place in official structures so the news is public and will appear on media.
So it is very unlikely a slim nose in the near future
It is possible that the crash test has also long happened, but the vanity panels around it isn't quite ready yet for aero/secrecy reasons. Seeing as the current launch nose is basically the 2019 Singapore version so I doubt a new crash test would be needed.

Manfer

Any pictures or videos of the car from today?

MtthsMlw

Manfer wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 16:07
Any pictures or videos of the car from today?
Have to wait for Ferrari to share them I guess.
They probably closed down the track. Tomorrow we'll get even better ones anyway :)

6 of 12

I feel that Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault, Mclaren and others are exploiting potential gains around the nose section of the car and the SF1000's nose is basically the same as it was at the end of last year. Why are Ferrari sticking to their nosecone-concept? Everyone else seems to be looking to work that area in different ways whereas Ferrari are still only meeting the rules in that area. How hard would it be for them to change the nose like Renault or Mclaren did?
Are they also maybe a lot behind in that section given that their first proper upgrade to the nose since the start of 2015 came last year in form of the bat-wing? Am I missing something? :?: :?: :?:
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

the EDGE

6 of 12 wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 18:04
I feel that Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault, Mclaren and others are exploiting potential gains around the nose section of the car and the SF1000's nose is basically the same as it was at the end of last year. Why are Ferrari sticking to their nosecone-concept? Everyone else seems to be looking to work that area in different ways whereas Ferrari are still only meeting the rules in that area. How hard would it be for them to change the nose like Renault or Mclaren did?
Are they also maybe a lot behind in that section given that their first proper upgrade to the nose since the start of 2015 came last year in form of the bat-wing? Am I missing something? :?: :?: :?:
Changes to nose cones require a crash test, but these are done by teams in-season so it’s no biggy. That said, if the tip does not make up part of the structural part of the nose then changes can be made there as and when you wish

I’m sure Ferrari are well aware of the importance of getting the design correct, as it is the first part of the car that hit the wind and influences the Aero benefits all the way to the rear of the car, and as such have probably looked at many different models in both CFD and windtunnel development and probably continue to do so

The problem is every car is different, and every car is designed to the route you choose to follow, so just adopting someone else’s idea wouldn’t necessarily work without a complete redesign of the entire package, And if that is the design that Ferrari feel of benefit in them the most and they will continue to run it. But seeing as testing hasn’t even started yet, Who knows what nose Ferrari will run come Melbourne

Manfer

I feel that most teams have gone into the slimmer nose cone design with one eye on 2021 regulations. Maybe to get a feel for the aero maps required for next year.

outsid3r

Small clip from filming day: https://f1ingenerale.com/f1-primi-chilo ... lming-day/

The article basically explains what a filming day is and reports that it was plain sailing for Ferrari. Both drivers tried the car

JPBD1990

6 of 12 wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 18:04
No disrespect, but it’s frustrating when people conflate differences with ‘being behind’. We don’t know how this car performs yet, so to say it’s behind because it doesn’t have a skinny nose is absurd. Also, if Ferrari is behind either McLaren or Renault then I would be very, VERY surprised - so does it really matter that they’ve adopted this solution? Redbull and Mercedes makes sense, so let’s see how we stack up and make a judgement from there.

Also, as others have pointed out, there’s nothing to say the nosecone won’t change. Mattia said the launch front wing isn’t the 2020 wing so we know that much.

6 of 12

JPBD1990 wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 23:52
No disrespect, but it’s frustrating when people conflate differences with ‘being behind’. We don’t know how this car performs yet, so to say it’s behind because it doesn’t have a skinny nose is absurd. Also, if Ferrari is behind either McLaren or Renault then I would be very, VERY surprised - so does it really matter that they’ve adopted this solution? Redbull and Mercedes makes sense, so let’s see how we stack up and make a judgement from there.

Also, as others have pointed out, there’s nothing to say the nosecone won’t change. Mattia said the launch front wing isn’t the 2020 wing so we know that much.
That's quite alright, I was just wondering, hence all the question marks 😬😬😬
For clarification: I wasn't suggesting that they might be behind Renault or Mclaren on overall performance. That would really be a ridiculous turn of events 🙈. Aaaand I didn't know about what Binotto said, so thanks for the heads-up 👌🏻👍🏻
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

Ced
Ced

Some new insights or rumors

Manfer

Could anyone summarize the video please. Thanks!

Sevach

Manfer wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 02:24
He says a bunch of stuff, i don't know how accurate his info is... but here we go:

This isn't the definitive aero.
The suspension is now hydraulic.
The new engine has a completely new cooling system.
Heat exchanger on the left, oil radiator on the right, air radiators on both sides.
Smaller gearbox for better handling.

wowgr8

Sevach wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 04:20
Manfer wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 02:24
He says a bunch of stuff, i don't know how accurate his info is... but here we go:

This isn't the definitive aero.
The suspension is now hydraulic.
The new engine has a completely new cooling system.
Heat exchanger on the left, oil radiator on the right, air radiators on both sides.
Smaller gearbox for better handling.
Everything we'd heard before the covers came off said they'd ditched the hydraulic suspension idea? And I haven't heard anyone else report that it's now hydraulic, I guess we'll wait to see it with the vanity panel off

Thunder

SF-90 Stuff has been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

nico5

New front wing