Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kwqb

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Kalsi wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 03:16
This is Seb Onboard lap from today (Test2 Day2) in 1.16.8 with C5
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2020/ ... Day_2.html

Now... i don`t know what is going on with this year`s tyres compounds compared to last one but... i honestly doubt Ferrari lost 0.6 and i just think they are sandbagging.

Looking at the video you can clearly see:
- A big lift-off on the main straight at and end of the lap (Red light turning on on steering wheel and engine rev just stops increasing way before the finish line)
- Wide apexes with no understeer in turns 5-6-9 while perfectly on the apex on the rest of the track (great way to sandbag too)
- Very neat third sector with very good traction out of the final chicane
- Overall good looking and very driveable car on track

If we also take into account low engine modes rumors and the now famous last sector 26.0 done with c3 (or maybe it was even c2?) this car is not looking that bad at all to me.
i noticed that too, even before last chicane seb took the brake earlier. some people said seb carrying more fuel.

just for reference, bottas last week fastest lap vs vettel.

form what i saw from the video, seb lost lot of a time at the entry of the last chicane

jumpingfish

Juzh wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 10:46
F1Krof wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 09:11
Ringleheim wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:36

You seem to be overlooking the terminal understeer problem they are suffering from, among other problems.

I'm curious: why would they sandbag, especially if it means not being able to test the car under ideal conditions or with race power levels, etc.? What's in it for Ferrari to do this?

How do they benefit in any way with such a strategy?
What terminal understeer?
You're kidding, right? This car demonstrates levels of understeer that dwarfs even it's predeccesor. Check out comparison below and see just how much time vettel loses by runing wide on entry in almost every corner. Lets just gope majority of this is down to track conditions being worse than last week or else they're in major trouble.

https://streamable.com/6qpee
Can understeer be based on the fuel levels also? More fuel - harder to turn the car :?:

One and Only

I doubt Ferrari will show their PU potential anytime before Melbourne Q after all that talk about their PU legality last season. I think all that negative publicity bothered them more than they were willing to admit.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

F1Krof

jumpingfish wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 11:02
Juzh wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

You're kidding, right? This car demonstrates levels of understeer that dwarfs even it's predeccesor. Check out comparison below and see just how much time vettel loses by runing wide on entry in almost every corner. Lets just gope majority of this is down to track conditions being worse than last week or else they're in major trouble.

Can understeer be based on the fuel levels also? More fuel - harder to turn the car :?:
I understand that.

However I think the car's running on higher fuel than Bottas'.
Wroom wroom

SiLo

F1Krof wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 11:35
jumpingfish wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 11:02
Juzh wrote:

I understand that.

However I think the car's running on higher fuel than Bottas'.
Notice how on the second long straight the Ferrari absolutely storms it to 308 kmh before braking but on the main straight struggles to get there.
Felipe Baby!

NtsParadize

Juzh wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
Ringleheim wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:36

You seem to be overlooking the terminal understeer problem they are suffering from, among other problems.

I'm curious: why would they sandbag, especially if it means not being able to test the car under ideal conditions or with race power levels, etc.? What's in it for Ferrari to do this?

How do they benefit in any way with such a strategy?

Did you have any informations on the fuel levels before making this statement?

aral

Come on guys ! this is a thread about specifics of the SF1000. All this testing talk is off topic. There is a dedicated testing thread, so could you please discuss there. Thanks

Juzh

NtsParadize wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 11:46
Juzh wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

Did you have any informations on the fuel levels before making this statement?
You don't cure understeer like this by taking out fuel, last's year car proved as much. Besides, there's not much to suggest mercedes would do low fuel runs, they never have. Vettel also had minimum speed of 177 kmh trough turn 1, which is higher than mercedes in this case, further negating the fuel argument.

sorry mods, im out now.

MtthsMlw

They reverted back to the solution of the SF90 today.
Very sensitive area, they tried many different things in the past few seasons there.
via FUnoAT

Manfer

Ferrari doesn't have the fastest car in the field. But how far is the Vice World Champion behind Mercedes and how much is hide and seek? Team boss Mattia Binotto denies that Ferrari veils its true strength in the big game.
W he is good Ferrari? Sebastian Vettel replied to this question: "We are not as bad as it may look from the outside, but also not as good as we wanted to be." And team boss Mattia Binotto also contradicts the suspicion that Ferrari is deliberately bluffing in order to Season start in Melbourne to be positively surprised.

“We don't play a game and are as good as we expected. Apparently others have made more progress over the winter. I can confirm that we don't have the fastest car in the field. That is an honest assessment. We will only know how far behind we are after three races. ”

The projections of the backlog from Ferrari to Mercedes fluctuate between four and six tenths per lap. "We are one lap further back than over a race distance," says Binotto.

The glasses wearer explains this by the fact that the Ferrari SF1000 produces more downforce than its predecessor. This also protects the tires. "We now have more scope to manage the tires."

The second positive aspect of the test drives is reliability. “We have completed our program and learned a lot about the car.” On a grade scale from 0 to 10, Binotto rates the achievement of the test goals with an 8, the lap times on the track with “less than 6”.

Sebastian Vettel prepares the Tifosi for a difficult start to the season. At the same time, the Heppenheimer tries not to spread panic.
Faster in curves, slower on straight lines
Only in the first week of testing did Ferrari not show its true strength. But it was only about checking the systems and understanding the car. The hide-and-seek game ceased on the fifth day of testing. The disguise was in line with what other teams are doing. The drivers set lap times in the morning and a race simulation in the afternoon.

Sebastian Vettel caught the worst of the six days. The route was 1.3 seconds slower than on the first two days and one second than on the final day due to the strong wind and the ideal line cleaned by the rain.

Charles Leclerc's fastest lap was only 0.164 seconds above that of Valtteri Bottas, but Mercedes drove with reduced power on the last day for fear of further damage. And probably more petrol in the tank than Ferrari.

Binotto openly addresses the weaknesses of the SF1000. "We are now faster in the corners, but slower on the straights." The reasons are obvious. “We found a good downforce, unfortunately at the expense of drag. In addition, our engine is not as good as last year. "

Binotto justifies the power deficit with concerns about reliability. Speculations that Ferrari deliberately do not turn the power screw contradict both Vettel and Binotto. "We cranked the engine every now and then, just not in the rounds where everyone is looking," explained Vettel. Binotto adds: “We didn't hide anything in the engine. That is our real potential. "

You can quickly get the aerodynamics under control. It may take a little longer for the engine to achieve the desired performance.
Construction site air resistance quickly eliminated
Against panic, it could be a season of disappointment again, Ferrari calms down with the phrase: “This season is still long. It hasn't even started. "

The construction site with the excessive air resistance can be tackled earlier than the one with the engine. A new, more efficient rear wing came in the second week of testing. "But it also produces less downforce," Binotto regrets.

Ferrari must be patient with the engine. The first intervention is only possible with the second specification. The balance also has to get even better, Vettel demanded: “When I look at the Mercedes, they make their laps with ease. We have to work more in the car. "

The gap to the top will determine the further program in Maranello. “First we have to find out how much we are missing. It will depend on whether we sacrifice something from the 2021 program for 2020 or whether the gap is so large that it is not worth it.

What is the use of developing this year's car. It was imperative they start off with a good car and they switch to 2021 car as soon as possible. They have to throw it in the bin now and focus on 2021.

sucof

FIA reaches agreement with Ferrari after power unit investigation

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/28/fia ... stigation/

CRazyLemon

If this is all real an accurate then Mr Binotto should probably be very concerned. He's overseen the decline of a very good car in 2018 to what we have now, chassis wise. The comments about the engine is even worse, why is it that Ferrari has an engine behind in performance to last years?

It makes me suspicious that all these engine rule clarifications took a hit to their performance which they hid under "high downforce" configs last year and they haven't found a way to regain that loss this year, so best just to say this year's engine is not as good as last year's.

The top speed anomaly from testing keeps hope alive that there is some poker being played, otherwise a pretty bitter read for a Ferrari fan.

Fer.Fan

sucof wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:04

O dear...

Another blow to Ferraris pace.

Ringleheim

CRazyLemon wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:12
If this is all real an accurate then Mr Binotto should probably be very concerned. He's overseen the decline of a very good car in 2018 to what we have now, chassis wise. The comments about the engine is even worse, why is it that Ferrari has an engine behind in performance to last years?

It makes me suspicious that all these engine rule clarifications took a hit to their performance which they hid under "high downforce" configs last year and they haven't found a way to regain that loss this year, so best just to say this year's engine is not as good as last year's.

The top speed anomaly from testing keeps hope alive that there is some poker being played, otherwise a pretty bitter read for a Ferrari fan.
I think the bitter read is accurate. Toward the end of testing today, they were discussing an agreement reached between the FIA and Ferrari. It basically sounds like Ferrari was doing something interpreted to be outside the law on the engine last year, teams complained, the FIA investigated, and concluded it was illegal.

So there's the explanation for a power decline engine wise. On top of that, Ferrari have added a number of features on the car to try and solve the lack of downforce problems from last year, and these elements are putting a lot of drag on the car. Yesterday, Vettel kept saying the car is very "draggy".

So they have made a car that needs more power at the same time that their engines have lost power. On top of that, throw in the usual "we don't understand the aero" problems from Maranello and the car is not what we would have all hoped for (as Ferrari fans).

I'm sure Binotto is worried about what's happening, which would explain perfectly his mood during most of his interviews during testing. He usually looks and sounds like he is at a funeral. Maybe his own?

Vasconia

Fer.Fan wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:28
sucof wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:04

O dear...

Another blow to Ferraris pace.
I don´t think this agreement affect this season´s PU. In fact, I find more worrying Binotto and Sebastian´s in the post above. I really thought Ferrari was close to Mercedes but now I don´t know what to think. The car looks good corner wise but we have yet to discover how good the PU is.