Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes W11

There are probably friction, grip and tyre temp advantages throughout the race as a whole. They can change the toe angle in accordance to changing track condition for instance, or from corner to corner. It's certainly not just about the warmup lap or a lap behind the safety car. That's just Toto deliberately underplaying it.
#AeroFrodo

nevill3

So Red Bull have lodged an official protest against the DAS
Protest lodged by Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, alleged breach of FIA Formula
One Technical Regulations, Articles 3.8 and 10.2.3 during free practice session P2.
at least this will give clarity as to it's legality.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

ncx
ncx

Of course, Wolff. Nothing to do with having nearly ideal toe both on the straights and in the corners, while the others have to choose a compromise between the two. Nothing to do with lesser scrabbing of the tyres. Nothing to do with aero advantage. And you are only going to use it in warm up laps and behind the safety car. In fact, it is silly of RBR to protest, as if you removed the thinghy you would have massive weight advantage. :-({|= :lol:

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

Should make the RW ineos background red innstead. Would look better. Like louboutini shoes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

pierrre

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 14:37
Also DAS in action.
https://streamable.com/gewkcr
again, used on a slow lap questioning those who claim it is used for top speed advantage in straightening toe out to neutral toe for less resistance. the tyre temperature theory is still is pretty strong

ncx
ncx

Apart from a probably minor aero advantage, higher top speed, imo, is not the main objective. The toe setting without DAS requires a compromise. There cannot be as large a toe in cornering as ideal because then it would give issues in the straights, not least because it increases tyre scrubbing. With DAS, Merc can set as much toe as they wish (within limits, of course) without having the drawbacks on the straights. When they come out from the pits with new tyres, iirc, they remove toe, they do not increase it, because, imo, the coldish tyres would suffer more of scrubbing. It may be that during the race situations arise in which DAS is useful to keep tyres temps up, as behind a safety car, but I doubt that this is the main objective. In fact, in normal racing conditions, removing toe on the high speed straights may help saving the tyres significantly. Just my opinion.

Wynters

turbof1 wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 19:20
There are probably friction, grip and tyre temp advantages throughout the race as a whole. They can change the toe angle in accordance to changing track condition for instance, or from corner to corner. It's certainly not just about the warmup lap or a lap behind the safety car. That's just Toto deliberately underplaying it.
I think that's a fair assessment.

etusch

F1Krof wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 17:53
I do not believe those are the only benefits. It doesn't make sense to have all that weight carrying all race long just to warm up tyres after the safety car.
First question is; will das system benefits more than weight disadvantage of carrying it ?
Second ;Importance of tyre warm up. Safety car period is just an example. There are more place they need to warmer tyres immediately . I think they planned this long before but decided to use this year because of blanket rules. If it wouldn't be banned, it would be more benefitial under tyre blanket rule

MtthsMlw

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 19:37
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 04:05
shady wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 02:09

Those tubes that are coming up from the floor through to the neutral section, below where the gearbox housing would sit are those being fed from below the floor or from the flow from the undercut of the sidepods..?
Interesting question, but I don't think those are "tubes", just parts of the floor that come up to guide air. I don't think they are allowed to have any "holes" in the floor in that area that would allow air to go from under the floor to on top.
Anyone???
Well you're right, no holes in the floor allowed since 2009 ;)
These tubes as you call them guide air from the coke bottle area under the gearbox and over the top of the diffuser, helping to increase the low pressure area underneath.
Ferrari really pushed that design starting with the Sf71h.
Here is and article about it:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13479 ... or-tunnels

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 22:29
F1Krof wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 17:53
I do not believe those are the only benefits. It doesn't make sense to have all that weight carrying all race long just to warm up tyres after the safety car.
First question is; will das system benefits more than weight disadvantage of carrying it ?
Second ;Importance of tyre warm up. Safety car period is just an example. There are more place they need to warmer tyres immediately . I think they planned this long before but decided to use this year because of blanket rules. If it wouldn't be banned, it would be more benefitial under tyre blanket rule
If the overall min weight and the balance fore - aft is fixed, can there be much advantage in removing it?
possibly some lowering of the COG, but unless they are running over weight could they recover any usable?
Or just replace the removed weight with ballast?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ENGINE TUNER

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 04:15
This seems like the biggest change/update on the car. Is it something track specific where they may revert back to the previous diffuser in Hungary or afterwards? Was this change made for more rear downforce or less drag? Or maybe a more stable platform? Does any other team run a similar diffuser already? Is it a copy or an innovation?
Anyone? ??

ENGINE TUNER

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 22:40
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 19:37
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 04:05

Interesting question, but I don't think those are "tubes", just parts of the floor that come up to guide air. I don't think they are allowed to have any "holes" in the floor in that area that would allow air to go from under the floor to on top.
Anyone???
Well you're right, no holes in the floor allowed since 2009 ;)
These tubes as you call them guide air from the coke bottle area under the gearbox and over the top of the diffuser, helping to increase the low pressure area underneath.
Ferrari really pushed that design starting with the Sf71h.
Here is and article about it:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13479 ... or-tunnels
Thanks

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 22:55

If the overall min weight and the balance fore - aft is fixed, can there be much advantage in removing it?
possibly some lowering of the COG, but unless they are running over weight could they recover any usable?
Or just replace the removed weight with ballast?
They would have ballast available. Teams run ballast in the neutral portion of the front wing - as low and far forward as you can get - so they might be giving up some of that if DAS gives other benefits.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

The weight penalty is not as high as it used to be. Cars approaching 700kg dry. Same goes for ballast settings. Things are more restricted these days.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏