Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
OO7
OO7
126
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:54 pm
Front brake assembly:

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... deta-1.jpg
I just love the look of the rear suspension. :o =D>

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise
0
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Merc ran the double pillar rear wing today but I think they were running the single pillar one yesterday am I right?

ispano6
ispano6
251
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:02 pm
Merc experimenting or is das just not useful enough for them anymore?https://imgur.com/r1CctI6

https://i.imgur.com/r1CctI6_d.webp?maxw ... lity=grand
They aren't running the cars with DAS this weekend to have the drivers understand the implications of next year without DAS. It was mentioned during the broadcast of free practice and also in a few articles.

User avatar
El Scorchio
25
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:25 pm
DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:02 pm
Merc experimenting or is das just not useful enough for them anymore?https://imgur.com/r1CctI6

https://i.imgur.com/r1CctI6_d.webp?maxw ... lity=grand
They aren't running the cars with DAS this weekend to have the drivers understand the implications of next year without DAS. It was mentioned during the broadcast of free practice and also in a few articles.
They didn’t run DAS on Friday (in preparation for next year as you say) but they are for the rest of the weekend according to what was said on the TV today. I won’t vouch for 100% accuracy coming from those who said it though.

zibby43
zibby43
439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:20 am
ispano6 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:25 pm
DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:02 pm
Merc experimenting or is das just not useful enough for them anymore?https://imgur.com/r1CctI6

https://i.imgur.com/r1CctI6_d.webp?maxw ... lity=grand
They aren't running the cars with DAS this weekend to have the drivers understand the implications of next year without DAS. It was mentioned during the broadcast of free practice and also in a few articles.
They didn’t run DAS on Friday (in preparation for next year as you say) but they are for the rest of the weekend according to what was said on the TV today. I won’t vouch for 100% accuracy coming from those who said it though.
This is 100% correct. They had it for FP3/qualifying and will have it for the race.

zibby43
zibby43
439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:50 pm
Merc ran the double pillar rear wing today but I think they were running the single pillar one yesterday am I right?
In the debrief today, Shov mentioned that they decided to sacrifice a bit of straightline speed by running some more downforce today. Guess they needed that little bit extra to help generate temperature in the tires on this very "closed" circuit tarmac. It's almost like it's covered in sealant.

So yes, you are correct, they were running the single pillar RW variant yesterday, but went with the higher-downforce spec today.

Image

djones
djones
21
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:01 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

It's ridiculous, yet equally disappointing that they stopped developing this car months ago.

Total slaughter today for Mercedes and for next year they have a head start on everyone from this platform. Likely they could enter the W11 into 2021 and still be at the front. It might be worth an early bet on Racing Point being second in the constructors next year.

zibby43
zibby43
439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

djones wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:23 pm
It's ridiculous, yet equally disappointing that they stopped developing this car months ago.

Total slaughter today for Mercedes and for next year they have a head start on everyone from this platform. Likely they could enter the W11 into 2021 and still be at the front. It might be worth an early bet on Racing Point being second in the constructors next year.
The race pace today, particularly in the hands of Hamilton, was something else. Like you said, with being able to divert resources toward the '21 reg changes early, combined with Merc's novel intake design for the W12, Merc may have another supreme weapon on their hands.

How do you reckon the W11 will fare at Imola this week?

dtro
dtro
9
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:46 pm
djones wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:23 pm
It's ridiculous, yet equally disappointing that they stopped developing this car months ago.

Total slaughter today for Mercedes and for next year they have a head start on everyone from this platform. Likely they could enter the W11 into 2021 and still be at the front. It might be worth an early bet on Racing Point being second in the constructors next year.
The race pace today, particularly in the hands of Hamilton, was something else. Like you said, with being able to divert resources toward the '21 reg changes early, combined with Merc's novel intake design for the W12, Merc may have another supreme weapon on their hands.

How do you reckon the W11 will fare at Imola this week?
Seems like a circuit Hamilton will take to. Slowtas Idk.

zibby43
zibby43
439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

dtro wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:39 am
zibby43 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:46 pm
djones wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:23 pm
It's ridiculous, yet equally disappointing that they stopped developing this car months ago.

Total slaughter today for Mercedes and for next year they have a head start on everyone from this platform. Likely they could enter the W11 into 2021 and still be at the front. It might be worth an early bet on Racing Point being second in the constructors next year.
The race pace today, particularly in the hands of Hamilton, was something else. Like you said, with being able to divert resources toward the '21 reg changes early, combined with Merc's novel intake design for the W12, Merc may have another supreme weapon on their hands.

How do you reckon the W11 will fare at Imola this week?
Seems like a circuit Hamilton will take to. Slowtas Idk.
Was doing some research and according to Pirelli, we’ll see Austria/Silverstone levels of downforce at Imola.

tangodjango
tangodjango
46
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:34 am
dtro wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:39 am
zibby43 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:46 pm


The race pace today, particularly in the hands of Hamilton, was something else. Like you said, with being able to divert resources toward the '21 reg changes early, combined with Merc's novel intake design for the W12, Merc may have another supreme weapon on their hands.

How do you reckon the W11 will fare at Imola this week?
Seems like a circuit Hamilton will take to. Slowtas Idk.
Was doing some research and according to Pirelli, we’ll see Austria/Silverstone levels of downforce at Imola.
Both Istanbul and Imola seem to be fairly high speed circuits. How are the tire loads at Istanbul? Similar to Silverstone?
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

dtro
dtro
9
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:34 am
dtro wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:39 am
zibby43 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:46 pm


The race pace today, particularly in the hands of Hamilton, was something else. Like you said, with being able to divert resources toward the '21 reg changes early, combined with Merc's novel intake design for the W12, Merc may have another supreme weapon on their hands.

How do you reckon the W11 will fare at Imola this week?
Seems like a circuit Hamilton will take to. Slowtas Idk.
Was doing some research and according to Pirelli, we’ll see Austria/Silverstone levels of downforce at Imola.
I just expect more of the same from Merc's driver's performances. Bottas might look ahead when it doesn't matter and Hamilton will do his thing haha.

Hamilton does well at both circuits you mentioned. Plus he has all the emotional connections to Imola- love for Senna, etc. I don't think he's ever raced there in F1 has he?

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise
0
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

dtro wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:27 pm
zibby43 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:34 am
dtro wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:39 am


Seems like a circuit Hamilton will take to. Slowtas Idk.
Was doing some research and according to Pirelli, we’ll see Austria/Silverstone levels of downforce at Imola.
I just expect more of the same from Merc's driver's performances. Bottas might look ahead when it doesn't matter and Hamilton will do his thing haha.

Hamilton does well at both circuits you mentioned. Plus he has all the emotional connections to Imola- love for Senna, etc. I don't think he's ever raced there in F1 has he?
Nope last F1 race there was 2006

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
648
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Kimi is the only current driver who has raced at Imola in an F1 car.

Hamilton raced there in GP2, starting P3 in the feature race before being disqualified. He started the sprint race P15 and finished in P10.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

dtro
dtro
9
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:12 pm
Kimi is the only current driver who has raced at Imola in an F1 car.

Hamilton raced there in GP2, starting P3 in the feature race before being disqualified. He started the sprint race P15 and finished in P10.
Redemption time