Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes W11

humble sabot wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:41 pm
I'm well aware, but generally it isn't as visually obvious. This combination of track and setup led to a very very visible difference in wear patterns, far far more than evident in any photos from other race meetings.
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 am
humble sabot wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:32 am
Biggest surprise here is the difference in wear between left and right. Particularly in the front.

All circuits will tend to wear one side more than the other as they have more left or right corners - Turkey has more left handers than right handers I think. T8, being a long left hander, will especially wear the right hand tyres more than the left.
I think it was just a peculiarity of them running the tyres much further until they were much more slick than we would normally expect of an inter. When looking at slicks, the wear is often more one side than the other but it is more difficult to see - it's also not normally looked for because it's not an unusual thing in the way that wearing the inters down on purpose was. Also, on slicks, the deliberate picking up of marbles on the cool down lap tends to hide some of the clues about wear.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

lio007

The floor:

Edit: compared to last years (I think)
source: viewtopic.php?p=942169#p942169

zibby43
zibby43

godlameroso

lio007 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:19 pm
The floor:
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tail-1.jpg

Edit: compared to last years (I think)
source: viewtopic.php?p=942169#p942169
https://i.redd.it/m817scvambaz.png
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Mercedes has a new steering wheel the shape is different at the top

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:34 pm
Possibly they went with an earlier design that George found more comfortable or on which he prefered the switch layout.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Just_a_fan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:40 pm
Possibly they went with an earlier design that George found more comfortable or on which he prefered the switch layout.
Valtteri was the one using it though

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:41 pm
Just_a_fan wrote:
Ah, I thought you were commenting on the photo of Russell. Sorry.

Sieper

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:41 pm
Just_a_fan wrote:
George was running DAS, Valterri was not (today).
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

nico5

I'm too lazy to upload pictures, but just wanted to point out that today on VB's pole lap, on the middle section of his dash, underneath the gear and the Strat setting (which is purple for qualifying, Strat 2), it was showing him the current state state of ERS deployment. I think that box used to be allocated for the actual HPP mode (it's the one that would change when they were pressing the OT button in race trim or when they were using Strat 2 in Q2 with medium tires but no party mode yet).
Anyways, you can see the exact moment when it switches from presumably free load (purple) to H-to-K (blue) to no-deployment (white) during each phase of the acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKJ8e15a2yw&t=35s

Diesel
Diesel

Interesting to see VB has switched to a single clutch paddle LH has been using all season. He had been using the double paddle system until recently.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP

GioKer32
GioKer32

I've just read an article from "The Race" regarding Russel's struggles to keep pace with Valtteri at turn one, and I found this part really interesting: "It did it (creating more downforce volume between the tires and the diffuser) by mounting the lower leg of the rear wishbone into the crash structure, rather than the gearbox ahead of it. This allowed the whole suspension to be swept back. It was a massive engineering challenge. What that gave was a car with rear tires that would no longer be overwhelmed by a super-positive front end set-up. The car could be hustled into slow corners, late and positive on turn-in, without the rear becoming upset."
Apart from the fact that it's not something newly discovered, with the expression "super positive front end set-up", what do they precisely mean?

ScrewCaptain27

GioKer32 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:41 am
I've just read an article from "The Race" regarding Russel's struggles to keep pace with Valtteri at turn one, and I found this part really interesting: "It did it (creating more downforce volume between the tires and the diffuser) by mounting the lower leg of the rear wishbone into the crash structure, rather than the gearbox ahead of it. This allowed the whole suspension to be swept back. It was a massive engineering challenge. What that gave was a car with rear tires that would no longer be overwhelmed by a super-positive front end set-up. The car could be hustled into slow corners, late and positive on turn-in, without the rear becoming upset."
Apart from the fact that it's not something newly discovered, with the expression "super positive front end set-up", what do they precisely mean?
Lots of front-end mechanical grip, lots of steering.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

GioKer32
GioKer32

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:42 am
Lots of front-end mechanical grip, lots of steering.
This also explains why last year's Merc was so good at low-speed corners but a bit "lazy" at the exit of them, doesn't it? :?:
Although, at present, it seems to have been brilliantly solved.