Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pyrone89

Re: Mercedes W11

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 21:29
Wow he looks happy. Might just be the excitement but he looks as happy as I imagine Brawn and Co did in February 09.
Because he knows what is coming: a 7th WCC and WDC in a row. Yes, You can quote me on this at the end of the year and I sooooo hope to be proven wrong (and that it is not LEC who took it)
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 22:01
You are very welcome! I agree. Somers has great content on his social media (Twitter, YouTube), and appears occasionally on the Missed Apex Tech Time Podcast (which are also can't-miss episodes).

Believe he contributes to many of Motorsport.com's technical pieces, as well.
yes he's good isn't he. In fact i was expecting something a bit more technical, but even just that 'face area' made me think about the various snippets we've had and the cooling exits at the back:
it's only a launch photo and I haven't seen a better one yet but they look pretty small to me, and as the team have actually increased cooling that seems to mean a hotter and faster flow, to carry more energy through those small apertures, which would fit in with higher coolant temperatures and radiators with a bigger face area, and what Andy Cowell has said about helping the aero. So, let's hope for some nice cover-off photos from testing

LM10

izzy wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 00:29
zibby43 wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 22:01
You are very welcome! I agree. Somers has great content on his social media (Twitter, YouTube), and appears occasionally on the Missed Apex Tech Time Podcast (which are also can't-miss episodes).

Believe he contributes to many of Motorsport.com's technical pieces, as well.
yes he's good isn't he. In fact i was expecting something a bit more technical, but even just that 'face area' made me think about the various snippets we've had and the cooling exits at the back:
https://d3cm515ijfiu6w.cloudfront.net/w ... 2x714.jpeg
it's only a launch photo and I haven't seen a better one yet but they look pretty small to me, and as the team have actually increased cooling that seems to mean a hotter and faster flow, to carry more energy through those small apertures, which would fit in with higher coolant temperatures and radiators with a bigger face area, and what Andy Cowell has said about helping the aero. So, let's hope for some nice cover-off photos from testing
Where is this picture from?

izzy

LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 00:34
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... 11-livery/

Holm86

izzy wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 00:39
LM10 wrote:
That's not the W11, it's the W08

LM10

Holm86 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 00:44
izzy wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 00:39
LM10 wrote:
Ok, thought so, thanks. :)

izzy

Holm86 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 00:44
oh,lol, okay well let's see, how the theory works out :oops:

zibby43

AMuS W11 technical analysis:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... k-analyse/

Excerpts:

"According to the head of technology in the wind tunnel, the three large projects and the many changes in detail have already confirmed the gain in downforce that the engineers had set themselves the goal of. Little has changed in air resistance, according to Allison. 'Aerodynamic efficiency is determined by the lap time, not the top speed. Those who generate more downforce with the same air resistance have become more efficient.'"

"The engine is completely new. Mercedes had fallen behind Ferrari at least in the past two years. Renault and Honda had caught up. The former market leader did not want to rely on the fact that a second flow rate sensor slows down possible tricks. In the seventh year of the hybrid era, no stone was left unturned. 'We touched all systems. The efficiency of the internal combustion engine, the electric motors, the periphery of the engine,' explains engine chief Andy Cowell."

"Then Cowell goes into detail. Less loss in energy transfer from electrical systems. Less internal friction thanks to new coatings. Less heat radiation. The engine now runs well even at higher temperatures. The chassis engineers helped. They enlarged the cooling surfaces without taking up more space for the coolers themselves. All without adding up a gram or becoming an inch longer, wider or higher."

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 07:57

Excerpts:

"According to the head of technology in the wind tunnel, the three large projects and the many changes in detail have already confirmed the gain in downforce that the engineers had set themselves the goal of. Little has changed in air resistance, according to Allison. 'Aerodynamic efficiency is determined by the lap time, not the top speed. Those who generate more downforce with the same air resistance have become more efficient.'"
I thought they might go for a bit less drag, but i suppose F1 has always been about downforce, and Ferrari are probably coming back to them

Pyrone89

zibby43 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 07:57

Excerpts:

"The engine is completely new. Mercedes had fallen behind Ferrari at least in the past two years. Renault and Honda had caught up. The former market leader did not want to rely on the fact that a second flow rate sensor slows down possible tricks. In the seventh year of the hybrid era, no stone was left unturned. 'We touched all systems. The efficiency of the internal combustion engine, the electric motors, the periphery of the engine,' explains engine chief Andy Cowell."

"Then Cowell goes into detail. Less loss in energy transfer from electrical systems. Less internal friction thanks to new coatings. Less heat radiation. The engine now runs well even at higher temperatures. The chassis engineers helped. They enlarged the cooling surfaces without taking up more space for the coolers themselves. All without adding up a gram or becoming an inch longer, wider or higher."
Completely new engine sounds a bit overdramatic, but unless this is the anti-Toto (chief underdog talk), Mercedes have made giant leaps
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Sierra117

Can the Merc haters posting here kindly, at the very least, post without the obvious underlying snarkiness? If you can't, then take it somewhere else. Unbelievable how the technical forums get polluted with this garbage all the time. Hollus emphasised this on the last page I believe but doesn't seem like anybody's listening.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Lucky

erudite450

This is a thread for Mercedes fans and neutrals to discuss the technical details of the W11. The attitude of some rival fans posting here is ridiculous. I hardly visit the Ferrari or RBR forum, let alone post there.

zibby43

Believe @ScarbsTech is the one who labeled this photo.