McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
charliesmithhd

Re: McLaren MCL35

34 vs 35 diffuser
(probably gonna change by testing though)

SmallSoldier

McLaren MCL35

f1rules wrote:last post on this but compared to ferrari and rb i just think it look a bit bulky, all the way down the center line, rb sidepods tappers down faster, ends closer to the floor and is closer to the centerline, same with ferrari. Im not saying its the only way, im not saying the mcl35 is slow. I know most add ons like bargeboards etc will be replaced, so im not talking about the car needing complexity or anything like that, but from a stripped down airbox, sidepod, packaging, hotair outlet point of view, to my armchair eyes it lacks a bit, also i was hoping to see pou, and i hope they solved the lack of frontend even going more agressive on front suspension atachment points.
Edit
From sidepod inlet its completely on rb and fer level, only difference is ferrari manages to keep a very slim airbox inlet and still slim down the engine cover insanely as opposed to rb and mcl

It’s simply a different concept... They are purposely maintaining the high rise all the way to the back of the car, favoring the undercut instead.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 13 Feb 2020, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 13 Feb 2020, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

AMG.Tzan

Car looks low drag...like Ferrari's last year design! Is it me or was Mclaren in the last 3 teams in terms of straight line speed?

Hopefully they'll have many things to add specially in the bargeboard area and the sidepod area at least until the Barcelona GP because otherwise i don't see them keeping 4th! (We haven't seen Renault and Racing Point yet though!) :oops:

Of course i am comparing Mclaren to Ferrari and Red Bull...but we have to if they want to get closer to the top 3!

Suspension geometry will play a very big role specially in the low speed parts, so i'll have to wait to see what they have achieved with their winter development!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

charliesmithhd

AMG.Tzan wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 20:08
Car looks low drag...like Ferrari's last year design! Is it me or was Mclaren in the last 3 teams in terms of straight line speed?

Hopefully they'll have many things to add specially in the bargeboard area and the sidepod area at least until the Barcelona GP because otherwise i don't see them keeping 4th! (We haven't seen Renault and Racing Point yet though!) :oops:

Of course i am comparing Mclaren to Ferrari and Red Bull...but we have to if they want to get closer to the top 3!

Suspension geometry will play a very big role specially in the low speed parts, so i'll have to wait to see what they have achieved with their winter development!
https://f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/2019 ... d-trap.jpg (monza speedtrap)
They started off the season with a quick car in a straight, but the updates introduce more downforce, but more drag as well

AMG.Tzan

charliesmithhd wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 20:11
AMG.Tzan wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 20:08

https://f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/2019 ... d-trap.jpg (monza speedtrap)
They started off the season with a quick car in a straight, but the updates introduce more downforce, but more drag as well
Hmmm, so i now checked more circuits than Monza and they were nowhere near the bottom in terms of straight line speed! So i was wrong above! :oops:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Xero

f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 19:40
last post on this but compared to ferrari and rb i just think it look a bit bulky, all the way down the center line, rb sidepods tappers down faster, ends closer to the floor and is closer to the centerline, same with ferrari. Im not saying its the only way, im not saying the mcl35 is slow. I know most add ons like bargeboards etc will be replaced, so im not talking about the car needing complexity or anything like that, but from a stripped down airbox, sidepod, packaging, hotair outlet point of view, to my armchair eyes it lacks a bit, also i was hoping to see pou, and i hope they solved the lack of frontend even going more agressive on front suspension atachment points.
Edit
From sidepod inlet its completely on rb and fer level, only difference is ferrari manages to keep a very slim airbox inlet and still slim down the engine cover insanely as opposed to rb and mcl
Looks like an aero design choice rather than a limitation of packaging, if that's what you're inferring? Just looks like they're trying to make their undercut work harder while keeping aero efficiency over the outlet and around the crash structure.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it does look like the engine cover is narrower on the McLaren where it tapers in to the exhaust, compared to the RB and Ferrari. McLaren have opted for a shorter and wider outlet, rather than a taller and narrower one.

charliesmithhd

Will there be a shakedown before testing begins?

f1rules

i really have hopes in this remark, like discussed on autosport forum, to me sounds like key confirming mclaren really lacked in the suspension area and the latest technologies used
Lucky wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 19:36
trinidefender wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 19:34
Sanchit f1fan wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 19:32
James key in an Interview Says That Lots of Conceptual Changes have been made to front and Rear Suspension To Unlock Greater Performance
Source?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 5/4684763/

_cerber1

Bisonas

Mclaren tried to take advantage of an extreme sidepod undercut in 2018 with MCL33.
Fundamental issues with that car (Which didn't had anything to do with the sidepods) denied Mclaren the chance to fully explore/develop that concept.
I only hope that with lessons learned, they can now take full advantage of the airflow going through the more aggressive undercut compared to last year.
Last edited by Bisonas on 13 Feb 2020, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey05021984

Can anyone explain what a ‘pou’ is?

Holm86

Mikey05021984 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 21:07
Can anyone explain what a ‘pou’ is?
Pushrod On Upright
It's offsetting the point where the pushrod connect to the upright, so when you turn the steering wheel, the pushrods pull the front down, lowering the front wing making it more efficient because of ground effect

Ringleheim

This thing looks more like a school bus than an F1 car.

All of these cars just keep getting longer and longer and longer.

Will be glad when this current formula is dead.

Nice color scheme though!

:lol:

haza

Only a theory but could it be that all the teams are opting for slim noses in preparation for 2021 as they will be slim thin noses next year