McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
charliesmithhd

Re: McLaren MCL35

haza wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 21:16
Only a theory but could it be that all the teams are opting for slim noses in preparation for 2021 as they will be slim thin noses next year
Doubt it, don't think there will be much carry over for 2021

godlameroso

f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 20:37
i really have hopes in this remark, like discussed on autosport forum, to me sounds like key confirming mclaren really lacked in the suspension area and the latest technologies used
Lucky wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 19:36
trinidefender wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 19:34

Source?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 5/4684763/
Suspension technology like what? Bellville springs? hydraulic multi flow valves? Suspension geometry and kinematics?
Saishū kōnā

f1rules
f1rules

yeah i dont know, i think only rb and merc knows the latest and probably ferrari, forexamble, as far i know mclaren didnt go down the hydraulic route, as it was to expensive and complicated, also i think they mentioned it was to heavy, but im sure the teams that did, learned something that could be used now also, so what exactly im not sure, but key does say new technology used

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
f1rules wrote:
i really have hopes in this remark, like discussed on autosport forum, to me sounds like key confirming mclaren really lacked in the suspension area and the latest technologies used
Suspension technology like what? Bellville springs? hydraulic multi flow valves? Suspension geometry and kinematics?
It’s mainly on the suspension geometry... The comments from Key were that some of the ideas they wanted to implement in the MCL34 weren’t possible because of the suspension geometry of last year’s car... The new one, with a higher pick up point for both the upper and lower wishbones are allowing them to try different things.

There is no mention of changes to the suspension technology at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1rules
f1rules

from the video

f1rules
f1rules

its qouted a bit different but i def think he means tech also

“Equally there’s a lot of technologies, let’s say, around the front, which were only possible to do with the new car – we’ve introduced that too. So that’s the new stuff, but having said that it’s all based around, although not entirely based around, what we learned last year."
and says
"We had what we felt were opportunities we couldn’t do with the 34 with the geometry we had.”

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 21:29
godlameroso wrote:
f1rules wrote:

It’s mainly on the suspension geometry... The comments from Key were that some of the ideas they wanted to implement in the MCL34 weren’t possible because of the suspension geometry of last year’s car... The new one, with a higher pick up point for both the upper and lower wishbones are allowing them to try different things.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

This 2 pictures show how much higher the upper wishbone is coming from the chassis... On the MCL35 it’s at the highest point possible without been on top of the chassis itself

ImageImage

GTO99

cplchanb wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:39
So teams are converging on the merc style slim nose...
Except Ferrari. They seem determined to stick with the wide penis nose.
The McL nose is very tapered & elegant.

the EDGE
the EDGE

f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 21:33

“Equally there’s a lot of technologies, let’s say, around the front, which were only possible to do with the new car – we’ve introduced that too. So that’s the new stuff, but having said that it’s all based around, although not entirely based around, what we learned last year."
and says
"We had what we felt were opportunities we couldn’t do with the 34 with the geometry we had.”

SmallSoldier wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

My take on it from reading the Article is that Key is talking about changes to the rear suspension not the front

BrunoH
BrunoH

The car seems a very good evo from last year.. lets hope the Engine is also a good step-up

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

I feel that they wanna reveal as less bits as possible, even in the presentation 90% of the time they were showing the front.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 21:33

and says

SmallSoldier wrote:

My take on it from reading the Article is that Key is talking about changes to the rear suspension not the front
The quote from Key talking about the suspension Geometry (no reference if front, rear or both):

“It’s been designed as we were developing it [last year’s car], the car’s a bit of a process and we felt were opportunities we couldn’t unlock on 34 with the geometry we had.”

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 22:30

The quote from Key talking about the suspension Geometry (no reference if front, rear or both):

“It’s been designed as we were developing it [last year’s car], the car’s a bit of a process and we felt were opportunities we couldn’t unlock on 34 with the geometry we had.”

That is true... however he does earlier on in the article

“We’ve done a similar exercise with the gearbox, to match that philosophy. There’s been a lot of work on rear suspension too, so I suppose from the cockpit backwards there’s a very different approach to what we’ve had before – that’s really where the conceptual side of things was.

PlatinumZealot

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 21:43
This 2 pictures show how much higher the upper wishbone is coming from the chassis... On the MCL35 it’s at the highest point possible without been on top of the chassis itself

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202002 ... e4b1ea.jpg https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202002 ... 1942f8.jpg

Push rod and trailing upper control arm member pushed rearwards. It even curves.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mszendeczki
mszendeczki