McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL35

godlameroso wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 17:51
McLaren ALMOST has their bargeboard setup on point. They just need a little tweaking to the outer edge. Nice chunk of time right there.
Care to expand... If possible with pictures...

godlameroso

Outer edge is too swept back. McLaren started with very swept back chicken wings in 2019, then they trimmed them so they were more parallel in relation to the floor. Mercedes has the most extreme iteration, their chicken wing has nearly wing like camber and it's aimed nearly parallel with the floor, plus they have that little beak at the outer edge of the bargeboard.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules

To suggest that one can spot what 1-200 aero people with cutting edge tools needs to do in the bargeboard aero for it to work... really, unless ones name is newey, but i dont think thats the case...

_cerber1

Close-up of the air duct.

godlameroso

f1rules wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 13:23
To suggest that one can spot what 1-200 aero people with cutting edge tools needs to do in the bargeboard aero for it to work... really, unless ones name is newey, but i dont think thats the case...
Who's to say they don't know where to focus? They probably do know what to do and how to develop this area, these things take time, you can't just slap wings on a car and presto chango downforce. You have to run studies to validate your theories, you have to design stuff to work with the rest of the car, refine your design, then finally implement it on the car. From eureka moment to putting it on the car takes ~3 months, just for bargeboards.

3d printed stuff can be used in FP's to accelerate development but those 3d printed parts aren't going to hold up to a race, or qualifying session.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 23:48
f1rules wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 13:23
Who's to say they don't know where to focus? They probably do know what to do and how to develop this area, these things take time, you can't just slap wings on a car and presto chango downforce. You have to run studies to validate your theories, you have to design stuff to work with the rest of the car, refine your design, then finally implement it on the car. From eureka moment to putting it on the car takes ~3 months, just for bargeboards.

3d printed stuff can be used in FP's to accelerate development but those 3d printed parts aren't going to hold up to a race, or qualifying session.
So all of that takes time but you can tell from a photo that their current design is wrong? I think that's what the original query meant.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1rules

That was exactly my point, but quess it was not clear enough,
Godlameroso, i know it takes time, the point was, how on earth you can judge from a picture and tell what mclaren need to do in the bargeboard area, for they gain greatly, when they have god knows how many aero engineers and state of the art tools already working on it. How the bargeboard area look and work is largely determined by the front concept of the car, and the flow structures it creates, so what merc does, doesnt automaticly work on the mclaren

godlameroso

f1rules wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 07:47
That was exactly my point, but quess it was not clear enough,
Godlameroso, i know it takes time, the point was, how on earth you can judge from a picture and tell what mclaren need to do in the bargeboard area, for they gain greatly, when they have god knows how many aero engineers and state of the art tools already working on it. How the bargeboard area look and work is largely determined by the front concept of the car, and the flow structures it creates, so what merc does, doesnt automaticly work on the mclaren
I understand that, McLaren had a slim nose in 2018 before Mercedes. But look at how much they gained in 2019 alone by making changes to that precise area of the bargeboard. Not saying other parts of the car played no part in the improved performance. I just understand something I've been studying for a long time, and more developments keep reinforcing what I've learned to be true. Something that is happening with airflow in that region. Regardless of what happens upstream there is still free stream air interacting with that part of the car. The turbulence of the tire is the key.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 20:37

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

kalinka

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 20:37

https://radikal.ru
I don't think I've ever seen a serrated air intake like this. Is it for real or just some "reflection" again ?
EDIT > I think it's just carbon fibre patterns playing tricks in the light.

Thunder

The Fuel related Posts have been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

godlameroso

See how the airflow is braking up in this region? When they fix that, they'll find .2 8)
Saishū kōnā

Carlen

godlameroso wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 17:44
https://files.catbox.moe/3p7tie.jpg

See how the airflow is braking up in this region? When they fix that, they'll find .2 8)
Why should the flow rate not be reduced in this zone and how do you understand that this causes problems?

Carlen

In which component is McLaren inferior to the leaders? For the most part, is this connected with the experience of engineers or the technical imperfection of the material base?

Racer X

Carlen wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 22:48
In which component is McLaren inferior to the leaders? For the most part, is this connected with the experience of engineers or the technical imperfection of the material base?
D) All the above :D
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ