McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
M840TR
M840TR

Re: McLaren MCL35

PhillipM wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 18:59
CjC wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 19:37
I can’t help but feel we need some more updates- not just ‘tweaks’
You're not gonna get any huge packages, the factory is way behind the design office on manufacturing parts, so you're mainly getting the small parts that don't need large changes to the rest of the car as you'd normally get in a big package - hence bargeboards, rear brake ducts, diffuser edges, etc.
Will the team bring a new low-df rear wing and any upgrades for Spa?

Why do you think the factory is still lagging even months after re-opening? Will the discrepancy continue throughout the year?

Chicane
Chicane

Covid has definitely hit the team hard and has pushed back everything significantly. The upgrades are running behind by months. Seidl was saying as to how projects are being rebooted now after a pause. So let us hope for an upgrade now that everything is returning to normalcy but clearly with timelines being tight for MCL36 the focus is almost completely on that.

Mclaren did not have a tailored low downforce package for Monza or Spa last season like Renault or Ferrari and this season both those teams will again be running low downforce package at Spa and Monza. I don't know if McLaren will be bringing that or simply be running a skinny rear wing.

Renault and Ferrari have aggressive upgrade timelines for the remainder of this season and I hope Mclaren have something up their sleeve but in light of engine switch i doubt their focus will be on upgrades but would be a nice surprise if they brought something significant before the end of the season.
Quickshifter

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Chicane wrote:Covid has definitely hit the team hard and has pushed back everything significantly. The upgrades are running behind by months. Seidl was saying as to how projects are being rebooted now after a pause. So let us hope for an upgrade now that everything is returning to normalcy but clearly with timelines being tight for MCL36 the focus is almost completely on that.

Mclaren did not have a tailored low downforce package for Monza or Spa last season like Renault or Ferrari and this season both those teams will again be running low downforce package at Spa and Monza. I don't know if McLaren will be bringing that or simply be running a skinny rear wing.

Renault and Ferrari have aggressive upgrade timelines for the remainder of this season and I hope Mclaren have something up their sleeve but in light of engine switch i doubt their focus will be on upgrades but would be a nice surprise if they brought something significant before the end of the season.
I believe the projects Seidl was making reference to where the wind tunnel for example, not necessarily manufacturing of parts of the car.

But Covid has definitely affected the team and updates are been delayed, let’s not forget also that we really have had a couple months since the season started, therefore not a lot of time between the first race of the season and the 6th that we just experienced, the teams have done in 7 weeks what usually would have taken 3 months ~ 12 weeks.

Hopefully a few parts will be in store for Spa, but so far the MCL35 with the exception of Silverstone 2 has improved over the MCL34 and seems to still have potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diffuser

Chicane wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 23:58
Covid has definitely hit the team hard and has pushed back everything significantly. The upgrades are running behind by months. Seidl was saying as to how projects are being rebooted now after a pause. So let us hope for an upgrade now that everything is returning to normalcy but clearly with timelines being tight for MCL36 the focus is almost completely on that.

McLaren haven't had a Tailored low downforce package for atleast 5 years. It's their new normal. I wouldn't use that as a judge of the number of new upgrade packages.

I think they asked Zak about it at one time and they said they just thought thier efforts would be better spent on upgrades that could be used on all tracks. IMHO, that means they don't have the budget to do that.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 02:57
Chicane wrote:

McLaren haven't had a Tailored low downforce package for atleast 5 years. It's their new normal. I wouldn't use that as a judge of the number of new upgrade packages.

I think they asked Zak about it at one time and they said they just thought thier efforts would be better spent on upgrades that could be used on all tracks. IMHO, that means they don't have the budget to do that.
The Spa & Monza rear wings weren’t used anywhere else so they weren’t really saving anything from passing the threshold further.

They just like to set the car up this way for lap-time.

Remember in Spa 2017 they ran a t-wing - only other team to do so IIRC. Tim Goss (I think) said that’s the best way to maximise lap-time.

Even in Silverstone this year they had a steeper rear wing.

That suggests to me a penchant for prioritising rear-end stability for tyre management and balance. Either that or an inability to run lower df without severely unsettling the car.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:20
diffuser wrote:
Chicane wrote:

The Spa & Monza rear wings weren’t used anywhere else so they weren’t really saving anything from passing the threshold further.

Remember in Spa 2017 they ran a t-wing - only other team to do so IIRC. Tim Goss (I think) said that’s the best way to maximise lap-time.

That suggests to me a penchant for prioritising rear-end stability for tyre management and balance. Either that or an inability to run lower df without severely unsettling the car.
Hmmm...

2019 SPA Sainz ... Think you're right...My bad ...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:20
diffuser wrote:

Hmmm...

2019 SPA Sainz ... Think you're right...My bad ...

You are probably remembering Seidl’s comments last season, he did state that Mclaren didn’t had a low downforce package (this was for Monza to be specific) and at that point that their resources were better spent elsewhere.

We do have to consider that that they were coming out of a disastrous season with the MCL33, so not surprised that their focus was on trying to make the MCL34 as good as possible for the most amount of tracks even if that meant a “sub-par” package at Monza, they also knew that the MCL34 was the base of the MCL35 and therefore the importance of working on the overall car.

My guess is that this year Mclaren is not going to have a “Monza” package, simply because with Covid the development of such a package shouldn’t have been a priority among everything else.

PhillipM
PhillipM

^^There is no specific low-drag package this year - can't afford to waste the factory time for a few tenths on 2-3 circuits.

f1rules
f1rules

Does a low drag low df rw count?, because for sure theyll bring that

diffuser

f1rules wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 19:15
Does a low drag low df rw count?, because for sure theyll bring that
Looks like they can put some fresh paint on the one from 2019 and recycle it.
Last edited by diffuser on 18 Aug 2020, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

f1rules
f1rules

:-) yeah something like it. We will see, but seing how many teams went for low df at silverstone and actually gained from it, no one will go to spa monza without a real low df rearwing, and with a short season you cant give away 2-3 races

diffuser

f1rules wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 10:42
:-) yeah something like it. We will see, but seing how many teams went for low df at silverstone and actually gained from it, no one will go to spa monza without a real low df rearwing, and with a short season you cant give away 2-3 races
As always SPA has a sector one where you benifit from low DF. Sectors two and three are a little different. Definately sector two is a high DF section. While sector three is very high speed with many curves.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
f1rules wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 10:42
As always SPA has a sector one where you benifit from low DF. Sectors two and three are a little different. Definately sector two is a high DF section. While sector three is very high speed with many curves.
S2 it’s the toughest part of the circuit and probably where the biggest difference in lap time could be made... The question is if you can gain enough for any losses in S1 if you add more downforce... There isn’t a lot of downforce needed for S3.

In my opinion corner exit traction is probably a little more important than downforce... Exit out of T1, T10, T15 and T20 have a big effect on lap time, if you can get sooner on the throttle on those corners you can gain a lot

diffuser

That's where rake helps.

There are a few high G curves in S3 with high 200 to 300+ speeds. To be honest, I'm not sure how much rear wing you need at those speeds.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 21:44
That's where rake helps.

There are a few high G curves in S3 with high 200 to 300+ speeds. To be honest, I'm not sure how much rear wing you need at those speeds.
Well rake is just one variable. It’s a mixture of having consistent and strong sealing airflow front to back, and mechanical grip from the tyres & suspension.

RedBull has an extreme high rake and are great in corner exits; but Mercedes has been miles ahead with a low rake for the past few years. Meanwhile Mclaren and Ferrari have been quite bad with the same high rake. Part of it is the new front wing as well.