McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
michl420

Re: McLaren MCL35

Bigger flap than Spain !? :o

Chicane

As expected Mclaren with the same rear wing as in Barcelona, just a bit less upright.
Quickshifter

_cerber1

Chalke

Well, from that picture the rear wing is significantly lower downforce than in Spain as you would expect - lots has been changed, just not the end plates.

The main plane is completely difference, shallower, i'd guess shorter and mounted higher - see where the lowest point is relative to the end plate, around the middle height of 'Galicia' whereas in Spain it reached as low as or into the blue section of the logo.

The flap is more tricky to tell from that square-on angle but at a best guess it looks similar in size but more reclined to present less frontal area and drag, it has most or all of the gurney flap removed and may be mounted slightly lower, beneath the top of the endplate rather than level-with in Spain

Due to the relative shallowness of this wing the DRS actuator is mounted on a much shorter mount too, barely above the height of the swan-necks whereas in Spain it stood well clear on a long stalk. This means the swan neck mounts must be a different, longer design too, to connect to the higher mainplane.

So actually... that's everything different apart from the endplates I think? At least when comparing just these 2 wings, I've not looked closely at the Silverstone spec.

diffuser

Chalke wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 20:02
Well, from that picture the rear wing is significantly lower downforce than in Spain as you would expect - lots has been changed, just not the end plates.

The main plane is completely difference, shallower, i'd guess shorter and mounted higher - see where the lowest point is relative to the end plate, around the middle height of 'Galicia' whereas in Spain it reached as low as or into the blue section of the logo.

The flap is more tricky to tell from that square-on angle but at a best guess it looks similar in size but more reclined to present less frontal area and drag, it has most or all of the gurney flap removed and may be mounted slightly lower, beneath the top of the endplate rather than level-with in Spain

Due to the relative shallowness of this wing the DRS actuator is mounted on a much shorter mount too, barely above the height of the swan-necks whereas in Spain it stood well clear on a long stalk. This means the swan neck mounts must be a different, longer design too, to connect to the higher mainplane.

So actually... that's everything different apart from the endplates I think? At least when comparing just these 2 wings, I've not looked closely at the Silverstone spec.
anyways, too earily to tell. They might completly dial it back or push it forword by Saturday.

Chalke

diffuser wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 21:02
Chalke wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 20:02

anyways, too earily to tell. They might completly dial it back or push it forword by Saturday.
Yeah, despite all the sim work Spa more than most tracks seems to leave teams arriving still uncertain and feeling the need to experiment with downforce/drag and often a different rear wing on each car in practice. Maybe we'll see more of that on the car at the 'new' tracks on the calendar this year too.

Varying weather reports will no doubt play a part too, the last I saw had shifted the likelihood of rain to race day so...

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PhillipM

diffuser wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 17:50
Looks the same, just less upright.Hard to tell if the made it taller or just made the font bigger.
Just moved the same profiles on the mounting pegs in the sideplates.

f1rules

As posted by cerber1 in the team thread

Tobi Grüner Chequered flag
@tgruener
·
5m
McLaren plans to run some experimental aero parts in FP1 that might be useful later in the season. Though priority is gathering data with the new low downforce package.

charliesmithhd

M840TR

New sidepod deflectors

f1rules

Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 11:43
New sidepod deflectors

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Egf47afUcAA ... ame=medium
It seems a few teams moved to this style. Anyone remember the first team to implement, was it HAAS?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 12:05
M840TR wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 11:43
New sidepod deflectors

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Egf47afUcAA ... ame=medium
It seems a few teams moved to this style. Anyone remember the first team to implement, was it HAAS?
Yes. The second I believe was Mercedes in 2019.

Holm86

It's a good way of creating downforce, as using the outwash from the sidepods means the direction of the drag vector is outwards rather than backwards. So there is not the same drag penalty