What kind of "serious issues" did Mercedes power unit have before 2020?

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
thelostwidow
thelostwidow

What kind of "serious issues" did Mercedes power unit have before 2020?

Hi everyone I just read an article [/https://formula1news.co.uk/covid-19-all ... -problems/] in which mercedes say their engine had serious issues before 2021 and the pandemic gave them time to fix it.

do you have any idea what kind of issues they are taking about? and what type of power unit problems could be fixed in such a short space of time?

PlatinumZealot

Re: What kind of "serious issues" did Mercedes power unit have before 2020?

Yes. It was talked about in 2020 testing.

The 2020 Merc engine power output was pushed by the 2019 Ferrari engine to be beyond extreme edge of the reliability limits existing at the time.

Mercedes came with tighter tolerances in undisclosed areas and lighter weight. What we do know is that the oil system, whether lubricstion or localized cooling was involved.

No more was released.

I won't speak of the gearbox issue that popped up too because that was solved I think in a race or two. Forgot whether it was torsional vibrations as the car rode the curbs in Austria or whatever. But that was alleviated somewhat.

The engine issuse was obviously kept very close to the breast. But we know it reared it's ugly head a few times during the season. A couple blown engines here and there.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™