McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
_cerber1

McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

What changes in the chassis can we expect, besides those required by the regulations?

My suggestion:
1. New front wing.
2. New side deflectors.
3. Engine casing.
4. Rear wing on one strut.
5. New transmission.
6. New suspension elements.
Last edited by _cerber1 on 21 Jan 2021, 15:50, edited 2 times in total.

_cerber1

Re: McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

Emag

If that's the case, wouldn't that be a big difference compared to the current cooling configuration they have? This can have an impact on the rest of the car as well implying that the CoG is going to change.

Also, aren't tighter sidepods technically allowed too if you justify it as an aero upgrade?

Just_a_fan

If they move the intercooler high like that, wouldn't that allow the sidepods to be even tighter. Tighter sidepods reduces the effect of floor area reduction - effectively result innthr distance between new floor edge and bodywork is the same before. Just a guess.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

McFAN

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 22:16
If they move the intercooler high like that, wouldn't that allow the sidepods to be even tighter. Tighter sidepods reduces the effect of floor area reduction - effectively result innthr distance between new floor edge and bodywork is the same before. Just a guess.

Looks like @ScarbsTech agrees :wink:

Emag

Emag wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 21:56
Also, aren't tighter sidepods technically allowed too if you justify it as an aero upgrade?
Hence my question. Does the token system restrict such a change? Would be a shame to waste free space like that.

ThePapayaJaguar

My only concern with having the intercooler up top in the reversed plenum setup would be the heat that goes into the roll hoop intake from closely following another car and lingering around the intercooler. I've always noticed how the Merc powered cars were kinda bulbous around the sidepods due to the radiators being there. This seems to be an effort to maximize floor area due to the banning of slats on the floor.

michl420

As Mclaren move to Renault 2018 the engine was very small on the upper side and I thought that the 2 air to air intercooler could be placed above the 2 cylider banks, coming together over the compressor, in an area where the williams had this year that big bump. The disadvantage are a high cog, and maybe to less room. But maybe the intercoolers are going to be smaller this year. It would defnitly be an interesting slution, but I don't think we will see it.

Blackout

The Mclarens already have their big centerline cooling system there since 2019, so how would that intercooler placement reduce the sidepod cooling size? that new intercooler will replace a part/most of the CCS, so some CCS rads will have to go back in the sidepods...

_cerber1

One of the mechanics hints to us that in the livery, the color of papaya will prevail.

_cerber1

Blackout wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 12:43
The Mclarens already have their big centerline cooling system there since 2019, so how would that intercooler placement reduce the sidepod cooling size? that new intercooler will replace a part/most of the CCS, so some CCS rads will have to go back in the sidepods...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsPn-4OW8AMCpvU?format=jpg
They have done this even before.

Big Tea

_cerber1 wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 11:37
One of the mechanics hints to us that in the livery, the color of papaya will prevail.
Or a false dawn :evil:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren111

_cerber1 wrote:
So glad to hear... I Love the Papaya... =P~ =P~

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 15:46
_cerber1 wrote:
So glad to hear... I Love the Papaya... =P~ =P~
It's also really good to hear that the car build is right on track, it's sounding really positive.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Holm86

How big a partner is Gulf oil??
Will they switch the darker blue for a light blue to have the Gulf livery look??