McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

Usually customers pick the color on their McLaren, but not so in F1. I imagine it's going to be grey with orange highlights. I also wonder if their road cars are going to start using Mercedes engines again?
Saishū kōnā

the EDGE
the EDGE

godlameroso wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 20:51
Usually customers pick the color on their McLaren, but not so in F1. I imagine it's going to be grey with orange highlights. I also wonder if their road cars are going to start using Mercedes engines again?
I see no reason why they would start to run Merc engines, the V8 has been magnificent & they have the new Hybrid Artura being released on the Wednesday. Obviously the P1 hybrid train was awesome to, so I see no reason this version won’t be good

Not even Merc have managed to release an engine based around the HERS system yet, so I doubt any manufacturers would go down that route

McLaren have made it very clear they are their own company, and are not going to propped up by others, like Aston Martin are, either on or off the track

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
I also wonder if their road cars are going to start using Mercedes engines again?
Why would they? They have a well developed engine that performs excellently in their cars in various forms. I doubt the 720 would be nearly so fast with a Merc lump in it, for example.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
Not a chance. This is not a partnership/ownership like pre-2009 or even a works/sponsor partnership like with Honda. This is just McLaren leasing PU's like they did with Renault. The Nissan/Ricardo V8 doesn't need swapping with the AMG 4.0 V8. Plus there is a V6 coming on the basis of their current engine. Mercedes doesn't have an option for that.

Holm86

godlameroso wrote:
Again?

godlameroso

Holm86 wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 23:47
godlameroso wrote:
Again?
Mercedes McLaren SLR
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Again?
Mercedes McLaren SLR
That was a Mercedes car, not a Mclaren car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

godlameroso

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 04:00
godlameroso wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

Again?
Mercedes McLaren SLR

It was built in Woking, it was a great car. You're right though, it was more Mercedes than McLaren and that's what kept it from being timeless.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

Plenty of cars get built at coachbuilders, doesn't make them Pininfarina‎ or Giugiaro‎'s. The SLR was designed and commissioned by Merc, it's a Mercedes.

Anyway, Ricardo is contracted for the road car engines till 2025, so I doubt it. The F1 team and Roadcar side is seeing ever greater seperation in the company for a reason.
Back to the car - the paintjob is darker this year but nothing hugely different - the usual orange, some more dark grey (mainly just for sponsors that don't show up well on the orange) black details.

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 04:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 04:00
godlameroso wrote:
Mercedes McLaren SLR

It was built in Woking, it was a great car. You're right though, it was more Mercedes than McLaren and that's what kept it from being timeless.
The plan back then was that McLaren would be the sportscar brand of Mercedes like Ferrari is to Fiat. So yes, it was a McLaren and even designed by Gordon Murray. The SLS and MP4-12C started as one project. Mercedes wanted a “retro” car while McLaren had a 360 challenger in mind. It was one of the reasons they split.

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 05:48
Plenty of cars get built at coachbuilders, doesn't make them Pininfarina‎ or Giugiaro‎'s. The SLR was designed and commissioned by Merc, it's a Mercedes.

Anyway, Ricardo is contracted for the road car engines till 2025, so I doubt it. The F1 team and Roadcar side is seeing ever greater seperation in the company for a reason.
Back to the car - the paintjob is darker this year but nothing hugely different - the usual orange, some more dark grey (mainly just for sponsors that don't show up well on the orange) black details.
Hey, have you heard any news on the article regarding the Mclaren using the Mercedes suspension and gearbox?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

JordanMugen

PhillipM wrote:
Is it really? Shouldn't it remain exactly the same matte Papaya Spark finish as before, which is already slightly darker and less "yellow" than the Bruce McLaren era orange (called McLaren Orange)? I think it is very important the race cars use colours which are available in the road car range. The 2017 car used the much darker Tarocca Orange which was probably a misstep as the colour was too far removed from McLaren Orange.

Are you suggesting the paint code has been changed to Ventura Orange?

IMO, maintaining the consistency of these Formula One colours which are available on road cars, be it Honda's Championship White raced until 2006 or Ferrari's Rosso Corsa raced until 1996 (from 1997 it was changed to the slighter more fluorescent Rosso Scuderia IIRC -- a Rosso Corsa 360 on the right, a Rosso Scuderia 360 on the left), is very important.

You can see here that the race car is a perfect match to the Papaya Spark road car. One presumes they merely eliminated the clearcoat for 2019-2020, and it would be illogical to suddenly change the shade of orange for 2021.

Last edited by JordanMugen on 11 Feb 2021, 16:06, edited 3 times in total.

Peter1919
Peter1919

JordanMugen wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 15:50
PhillipM wrote:
Is it really? Shouldn't it remain exactly the same matte Papaya Spark finish as before, which is already slightly darker and less "yellow" than the Bruce McLaren era orange (called McLaren Orange)?
He didn't say anything about the colour of orange changing, in fact he said the complete opposite "the usual orange". He meant that overall the car is going to be darker with more dark grey and black than before.

Jolle
Jolle

mwillems wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 14:06
PhillipM wrote:

Hey, have you heard any news on the article regarding the Mclaren using the Mercedes suspension and gearbox?
I think you’re confused with Williams, they are abandoning their own gearboxes (for good reason). If McLaren would be switching as well, I would be very surprised and this would mean they basically throw the towel in the ring for any ambition to challenge the top three.

Carlen
Carlen

In Motorsport they write that the gearbox and rear suspension are from Mercedes. Is this true information?