McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

looks like significant bigger sidepod inlet?

the EDGE

f1rules wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 22:14
looks like significant bigger sidepod inlet?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtaIDIqXYAA ... ame=medium
I don’t know, looking at some pics of the 35 the opening looks very different depending on the angle, it could also be the same here. The picture could be rather deceiving or the opening could be deeper but narrower in width

f1rules

yeah agree, still i think its taller. do we think some teams will go for wider top/shoulder part to get more undercut to aid the floor

maybe something like this

the EDGE

f1rules wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 22:44
yeah agree, still i think its taller. do we think some teams will go for wider top/shoulder part to get more undercut to aid the floor

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtaO0YVWQAg ... me=900x900

maybe something like this
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgflTSZUYAI ... ame=medium
Exactly! I think McLaren’s opening was the widest of the top teams last year so I do hope they manage to reshape for the better this year with the Merc PUs need of less cooling

10 days till we find out :D

mclaren111

Question to the Experts...

If they improve MCL35M's understeer problem, how will / can the reduction of Rear Downforce with the new Floor & Diffuser rules effect the car ?? More positive than negative ??

the EDGE

I’ve got another question...

Why is it in this picture the side-pod looks see through

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtYfjNVXIAMSW2N.png

And in this picture is black?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtaIDIqXYAA ... ame=medium

101FlyingDutchman

To me it just looks like the side pod is only on one side. It’s just a cockpit mock up. It’s also impossible to draw conclusions out of this. But it may well be a design choice, to keep the side pod opening high and big to increase the taper around the floor offsetting the floor loss at the rear.

We will find out soon enough. Can’t wait. I’m genuinely impressed with the leadership/vision/media work that the team puts out. It just looks like a well run outfit.

the EDGE

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 12:23
To me it just looks like the side pod is only on one side. It’s just a cockpit mock up. It’s also impossible to draw conclusions out of this. But it may well be a design choice, to keep the side pod opening high and big to increase the taper around the floor offsetting the floor loss at the rear.

We will find out soon enough. Can’t wait. I’m genuinely impressed with the leadership/vision/media work that the team puts out. It just looks like a well run outfit.
But in the video 4:17-4:19 you can see the right hand side pose looks black too, I’d post a pic but haven’t a clue how too

charliesmithhd

the EDGE wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 12:33
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

But in the video 4:17-4:19 you can see the right hand side pose looks black too, I’d post a pic but haven’t a clue how too

the EDGE

charliesmithhd wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 12:35
the EDGE wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 12:33
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtdNQ4DXUAE ... me=900x900

Could they have been in the progress of putting the car together?

FittingMechanics

Winglet is ahead of the sidepod. In the picture where it looks see through, the angle is such that we only see the winglet while the sidepod is hidden.

I am not sure if this is a change from last year.

SmallSoldier

I’m guessing that Mclaren will also be without an S-Duct this season... It’s interesting that it has been the only team without one now for a few seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag

If they saw benefits from an S-Duct, then it would be in the car. If it is not in the car that means that it is not worth it for them.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:If they saw benefits from an S-Duct, then it would be in the car. If it is not in the car that means that it is not worth it for them.
I’m sure that’s the case... I just find it surprising since most often than not the solutions that end up in most of the grid usually bring a “universal benefit”... The fact that 90% of the grid find it useful (regardless of aero concepts) and Mclaren doesn’t, is just interesting, not arguing if it’s useful for them or not :).

The MCL33 was the first to not have an S-Duct, at that time I thought it was because of the reported issues they had to pass testing on their new nose concept (that was intended for Australia, but ended up debuting in Spain if I’m not wrong)... From there, neither the MCL34 or 35 had an S-Duct.

the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 22:27
I’m guessing that Mclaren will also be without an S-Duct this season... It’s interesting that it has been the only team without one now for a few seasons.

The S-duct exploits a loop hole in the regulations. No holes are allowed through the cockpit or the structural part of the nose, so the ducting from bottom to top passes between where the nose cone meets/attaches to the bulk head

Because of the way McLaren house the suspension, very high-up with the hydraulics on the outside of the bulk head it prevents them from running an S-duct as there is no room for the ducting to pass

They must believe their suspension set-up bring them a bigger gain than the S-duct would as it’s been that way for 4 or 5 years