First-ever Formula 1 car to utilize digital display dashboard and last-ever Formula 1 car to utilize analog dashboard

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
theriusDR3
theriusDR3

First-ever Formula 1 car to utilize digital display dashboard and last-ever Formula 1 car to utilize analog dashboard

Can anyone tell me the first-ever Formula 1 car to utilize digital display dashboard and last-ever Formula 1 car to utilize an old analog dashboard?

nico5

Re: First-ever Formula 1 car to utilize digital display dashboard and last-ever Formula 1 car to utilize analog dashboar

theriusDR3 wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 12:43
Can anyone tell me the first-ever Formula 1 car to utilize digital display dashboard and last-ever Formula 1 car to utilize an old analog dashboard?
The last must have been RB and Williams in 2014. Williams also kept a fixed digital display separate from the steering wheel ever since. Don't know about the first but I know Ferrari and Renault had a dashboard on their car around '06-'07. From '08-'13 they reverted to the classic analog configuration

Jolle
Jolle

Re: First-ever Formula 1 car to utilize digital display dashboard and last-ever Formula 1 car to utilize analog dashboar

nico5 wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 00:48
theriusDR3 wrote:
The last must have been RB and Williams in 2014. Williams also kept a fixed digital display separate from the steering wheel ever since. Don't know about the first but I know Ferrari and Renault had a dashboard on their car around '06-'07. From '08-'13 they reverted to the classic analog configuration
I think with analog he means those round things with a needle ;-)

But I guess the first digital displays came into F1 during the first turbo days (for boost pressure etc), the last one of the old style Rev counters... probably a pasted together car somewhere in the early nineties, last years of the fortune seekers with outdated cars

feni_remmen
feni_remmen

Would your question be better worded as ‘mechanical gauges’ verses ‘electronic gauges’?

godlameroso

When are the teams going to implement HUDs on the helmets?
Saishū kōnā

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 02:43
Probably never. The added weight would be an issue plus there is very little info that is needed in places where they wouldn’t be able to view the screen. Shifting for instance goes with a beep, what works better then any graphic (because how the brain is wired)

jjn9128

godlameroso wrote:
Ralf Schumacher and I believe at least 1 other driver tried them in the early 2000s.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

godlameroso

Jolle wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 10:20
godlameroso wrote:
Probably never. The added weight would be an issue plus there is very little info that is needed in places where they wouldn’t be able to view the screen. Shifting for instance goes with a beep, what works better then any graphic (because how the brain is wired)
The mirrors are kind of useless. Anything to help a driver's situational awareness.
Saishū kōnā

proteus

theriusDR3 wrote:
I believe Lotus allready had full digital display back in 1987. So it must have started somewhere in that time.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 16:19
Jolle wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 10:20
godlameroso wrote:
The mirrors are kind of useless. Anything to help a driver's situational awareness.
Probably more helpful to have screens and cameras instead of classic mirrors. A HUD is always difficult with vibrations of the helmet.

PlatinumZealot

theriusDR3 wrote:
Cars had very basic digital displays for a long time. I beleive Schumacher used one at Benetton. Used in testing I think. Don't know this was the first though.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

nico5 wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 00:48
theriusDR3 wrote:
Lol. Are you sure you are not mistaken?
Analog means using a no digital processing. In this case it would be a dash with dials (needles), roll counters or simple arrays of lights. I am sure none of that was used in the 2014!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1jcw
f1jcw

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 13:17
godlameroso wrote:
Ralf Schumacher and I believe at least 1 other driver tried them in the early 2000s.
Really, the Lotus’s of Johnny Herbert had HUD displays in early 1990s

marcush
marcush

I remember something HUD early 90s in Racecar engineering mag .it was wirh Johnny Herbert ...1993 well possible.
I think I still have the mag ..
I definitely heard about Datron HUD Messtechnik in 1996 used in Rallying by Mitsubishi ...maybe in cooperatuon with Stack ?.
back in those days Motec , Stack , Marelli all had LCD displays available for
amateur and pro racers .
John Barnard claims to have started the trend to put all displays and,switches dials on tve steering wheel ~1996.

glockster1980
glockster1980

Not exaxtly refering to your question, but leaning on this: The first ever car to utilize the controls on the steering wheel instead of the dashboard was the 412T2 as this was developed by John Barnard at this time. The displa also on the steering wheel was a follow up invention somewhere beyond this point.