Aston Martin DBR6 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Aston Martin DBR6 speculation thread

I was surprised there was no thread for this car so thought I’d kick one off. I don’t believe they’ve announced the car’s name yet - so DBR6 is also speculation - but would be a nice touch to continue from Aston’s previous F1 car in 1960.

The catalyst for the thread was this article: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... n=widget-6

It strikes me that Aston (and Vettel) have a significant opportunity to be competitive this year, with the stars really aligning for them:
  • 1. Because they get to use new Mercedes parts for ‘free’, they have the opportunity to basically make their W10 into a W11
    2. The budget cap + investment from Stroll and co means they’ll be well resourced and be building on a strong 2020 car
    3. The handicap system means they have more wind tunnel /CFD time than the three teams who finished ahead of them last year; couple that with the aero changes for this year and it could give them a one up
    4. For Vettel specifically, he has what seems like his ideal combination of a balanced car with a strong rear end + a teammate who, while maybe not as bad as his rep would suggest (you don’t get pole and lead half a race by pure luck), isn’t a top guy
So while I have really zero skin in the game - it might be fun to see them go for wins regularly on merit, but I’m first and foremost a Ferrari fan - I do think there’s a lot of potential building for this package.

Just_a_fan

Re: Aston Martin DBR6 speculation thread

Is it confirmed that it'll be called DBR6? Although AM briefly had the DBR4 (5 races) and DBR5 (1 race) in F1 back in 1959/60, the DBR range is more usually their racing sports cars.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NAPI10

f1316 wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 17:03
I was surprised there was no thread for this car so thought I’d kick one off. I don’t believe they’ve announced the car’s name yet - so DBR6 is also speculation - but would be a nice touch to continue from Aston’s previous F1 car in 1960.

The catalyst for the thread was this article: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... n=widget-6

It strikes me that Aston (and Vettel) have a significant opportunity to be competitive this year, with the stars really aligning for them:
  • 1. Because they get to use new Mercedes parts for ‘free’, they have the opportunity to basically make their W10 into a W11
    2. The budget cap + investment from Stroll and co means they’ll be well resourced and be building on a strong 2020 car
    3. The handicap system means they have more wind tunnel /CFD time than the three teams who finished ahead of them last year; couple that with the aero changes for this year and it could give them a one up
    4. For Vettel specifically, he has what seems like his ideal combination of a balanced car with a strong rear end + a teammate who, while maybe not as bad as his rep would suggest (you don’t get pole and lead half a race by pure luck), isn’t a top guy
So while I have really zero skin in the game - it might be fun to see them go for wins regularly on merit, but I’m first and foremost a Ferrari fan - I do think there’s a lot of potential building for this package.
What extent AM can copy 'W11'? I though FIA clamp down that route in 2021.

f1316

NAPI10 wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 19:33
f1316 wrote:

What extent AM can copy 'W11'? I though FIA clamp down that route in 2021.
Right, that is true - they can’t do what they did last year. But they can do what teams have been doing from the beginning of time and take inspiration from other cars - given the RP last year was based on the car the W11 evolved from (the W10), they’ll likely develop it in a similar way and, per the article, they can move the crash structure spears to copy the W11 sidepod inlets (ie the 2017 Ferrari route).

So you’re right, it won’t be a copy like last year’s but they have an unusual advantage with the tokens to move closer to the W11 car that Mercedes will be largely running again.

f1316

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 18:33
Is it confirmed that it'll be called DBR6? Although AM briefly had the DBR4 (5 races) and DBR5 (1 race) in F1 back in 1959/60, the DBR range is more usually their racing sports cars.
Absolutely completely unconfirmed - but they don’t seem to have announced the name so had to pick something!

Just_a_fan

f1316 wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 00:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 18:33
Absolutely completely unconfirmed - but they don’t seem to have announced the name so had to pick something!
That's ok, I wasn't having a go :D . It wouldn't surprise me for them to name it that, to be honest, although I wonder if it might be AMC1 for "Aston Martin Cognizant 1".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Blackout

MtthsMlw

Looks like it's not that similar to the W11 which has a sharper angle on the outside.

stan_french

f1316 wrote:

I think of course this is gonna help, but to state that they will simply make a W11, is not the ideal path for them.

First of all, as could be seen with the pictures with Lance, we can clearly see the side pod inlet shape seems to be a quarter of an oval, compared to Mercedes' rather rectangular inlets. Moreover, the aerodynamic changes coming this year have been said to create substantial change in order to maintain all the lost downforce, notably around the rear. If this is true, it would mean that yes, they would be able to inspire themselves from the W11 bargeboard and front wing, but in order to neatly seal the floor, and the diffuser, they will have to develop it themselves. It's also important to note that they went down their own path in development in 2020. Look at the sidepods and the front wing for example.

Also, I'm just realising you stated the aero handicap will help them in a fight against RB, Mclaren, (tho Renault theoretically will have the upper hand), I think this upper hand will come more into play for the 2022 season because this year, i don't want to say will be a a throwaway year, but most teams will want to focus on the new regs, which will mean that development while important, won't play that big of a role. Unless AM decides to focus entirely on 2021, however i think it would be unwise, with how they develop their 2022 car will determine more or less where in the pecking order they will stand for in essence the next few year. So therefore this aero handicap will help them more for the 2022 car.

Overall, i'd say having the car based on the w10 and the aero-handicap won't give them that big of an advantage unfortunately for this year. Regardless, I'm intrigued to know what they came up with, and how competitive they are this season.

senja

BassVirolla

It's clear: That looks like a Mercedes B-team. The same, or very similar, shade of green as Petronas.

Edit: Excuse me, and move my post if necessary to the team thread. #-o

Zynerji

BassVirolla wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 16:29
It's clear: That looks like a Mercedes B-team. The same, or very similar, shade of green as Petronas.

Edit: Excuse me, and move my post if necessary to the team thread. #-o
Let's see it in the sunlight before we jump to that conclusion.

MtthsMlw

I think their new merch gives a good impression of what the livery will be.

Nbain66

Re: McLaren MCL35M

MtthsMlw wrote:I think their new merch gives a good impression of what the livery will be.
The signature Aston green with the Neon yellow around the nose would be great.

Sent from my SNE-LX3 using Tapatalk

Jolle

Will it have wooden inlays on the steering wheel and a crystal drs button?