Aston Martin DBR6 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ferkan

Re: Aston Martin DBR6 speculation thread

Packaging looks 1:1 with Merc. Even Ferrari/Haas didn't have that much resemblance back in the day (16-19).

In any case, lime instead of pink would look superb, although I like it like this as well. PU seems to be be very tightly integrated, more so then in McLaren.

Emag

pierrre wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:29
https://scontent.fbki2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=6064F9F8

so seb will be racing lewis on similar hardware?
Honestly, this is just plain suspicious. RacingPoint even moved away from Mercedes's sidepod philosophy last year after Mugello. How come they managed to come up with the same philosophy Mercedes used in their W12 (not even W11).

Manoah2u

Emag wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:37
pierrre wrote:

Honestly, this is just plain suspicious. RacingPoint even moved away from Mercedes's sidepod philosophy last year after Mugello. How come they managed to come up with the same philosophy Mercedes used in their W12 (not even W11).
it is interesting, yes.
did anybody important from Mercedes move to AMR, whom could have 'freely' taken this approach with him?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Manoah2u

yeah, i put it with yellow in the team thread too. looks so much better like that. :cry:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

ferkan

Emag wrote:
pierrre wrote:

They spent tokens on crash structure, probably to change it closer to what Merc has.

TheFluffy

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:47
Emag wrote:
pierrre wrote:

it is interesting, yes.
did anybody important from Mercedes move to AMR, whom could have 'freely' taken this approach with him?
I think the main difference is that Aston is installing their engine higher up, thus a bigger "sexy" bulge. This frees up more air to flow beneath it to the diffuser. However this would be bad for the vehicle dynamics and car balance though. But it is too late to change it now.

dodds_turbo

Herr_Koos wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:08
Mercedes: We have a big sexy bulge on the engine cover.
Aston Martin: Hold my beer...
Ha ha, great minds think alike!
dodds_turbo wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:13
Mercedes "see the POWER bulge"

Aston Martin, "Hold my *insert energy drink name here*!"

2021 is the year of super shrink wrapping on both cars.

Herr_Koos

dodds_turbo wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 18:02
Herr_Koos wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:08
Mercedes: We have a big sexy bulge on the engine cover.
Aston Martin: Hold my beer...
Ha ha, great minds think alike!
dodds_turbo wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:13
Mercedes "see the POWER bulge"

Aston Martin, "Hold my *insert energy drink name here*!"

2021 is the year of super shrink wrapping on both cars.
Indeed!

f1rules

well they dont miss money, introducing completely new sidepod design last year midways or so for to know they would ditch the concept completely, strange planning and strategy, but shows they have the funding in place atleast, but impressive car for sure
Last edited by f1rules on 03 Mar 2021, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

TheFluffy wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:56
Manoah2u wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:47
Emag wrote:

it is interesting, yes.
I think the main difference is that Aston is installing their engine higher up, thus a bigger "sexy" bulge. This frees up more air to flow beneath it to the diffuser. However this would be bad for the vehicle dynamics and car balance though. But it is too late to change it now.
Or Aston have just fitted a tighter cover over the engine area so requiring a larger bulge.

The rear of the bodywork is higher on the Mercedes than the Aston judging by the positions relative to the rear suspension arms.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

molina

Sevach wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:25
Tokens used on the side impact structures.
According to regulations, that is not possible, is it? Only to spend on front or rear (1 token) or the survival cell (2 tokens). RP already introduced a side impact update at some point last year that may have allowed them to redesign the side pods without spending tokens.
Last edited by molina on 03 Mar 2021, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach

Contrary to popular belief it's not a full Mercedes copy, though the inspiration is obviously there.
Things like sidepod inlets have a more rounded design.
Where it transitions from sloping sidepods to hot air exits i think the Merc is a little tighter.
And the bulge(btw this makes me think the bulge isn't due to neither car being signifcantly tighter but the engine packing more stuff "upstairs") is much bigger in this car.

Manoah2u

Sevach wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 19:03
Contrary to popular belief it's not a full Mercedes copy, though the inspiration is obviously there.
Things like sidepod inlets have a more rounded design.
Where it transitions from sloping sidepods to hot air exits i think the Merc is a little tighter.
And the bulge(btw this makes me think the bulge isn't due to neither car being signifcantly tighter but the engine packing more stuff "upstairs") is much bigger in this car.

holeindalip

With rp with their copy last year and having very similar concepts, using the same wind tunnel. It is possible they went the same route seeing the same things.....