Alpha Tauri AT02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jjn9128

Re: Alpha Tauri AT02

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:39
Do you know if the rules would allow the edge of the floor to be formed as a saw-tooth type edge? It would be a single part, no holes etc. But might allow the formation of a vortex along the edge to replicate the "sealing" that the slots used to do.
The slots didn't produce a vortex, but forced air down and out at the floor edge to prevent air coming back in and raising pressure under the car. Also creating some low pressure and downforce along the edge of the floor.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Scorpaguy

I am a bit of an aero idiot savant (but without the the savant part)...but I assume this new barge board design is for maximizing/cleaning up air flow when following/in dirty air and not for increased performance in clean air...correct?

PlatinumZealot

I feel they should have hidden the easy to copy floor Notch. It's a good way to generate another vortex. Not that it cannot be achieved by the barge-boards, but it likely give AT more flexibility to tune the bargeboard fins. Another good innovation from this little team.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM

Hidden it from who? It's nothing new, loads of teams have used that before.

Blackout

The raised floor edges are nothing new yes, but I dont remember teams putting a vane that forms a bottlenech with the (angled) raised edge...
Last edited by Blackout on 19 Feb 2021, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

basti313

nzjrs wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 13:23
basti313 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 11:03
Yes. That is last year's car with ugly green paint on it
GREEN!!???!!!??

Do I need to see a doctor?
Sorry, I looked at it with my old laptop and was completely shocked how ugly this beautiful car is...
Now I checked with a proper screen... :oops:

Looks good. But still I would say the launch pictures are mostly the old car with some big parts of the new barge board area. Just more blue paint.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:39
Do you know if the rules would allow the edge of the floor to be formed as a saw-tooth type edge? It would be a single part, no holes etc. But might allow the formation of a vortex along the edge to replicate the "sealing" that the slots used to do.
The slots didn't produce a vortex, but forced air down and out at the floor edge to prevent air coming back in and raising pressure under the car. Also creating some low pressure and downforce along the edge of the floor.
Yes but they can't do that now so could vortex manipulation be used to control air flow around the edge of the floor and below it? That was the question, really.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Scorpaguy wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 16:16
I am a bit of an aero idiot savant (but without the the savant part)...but I assume this new barge board design is for maximizing/cleaning up air flow when following/in dirty air and not for increased performance in clean air...correct?
Barge boards generally do two things:
1. They move the "dirty" air from the front wheel/tyre outwards so that it doesn't mess with the airflow going to the rear of the car. Some of this is by manipulating where the Y250 vortex goes, and some is by setting up other vortices and directing them outwards where they entrain turbulent tyre wake.

2. They bring "clean" air down from above the car and feed it under the front edge of the floor.

Both things basically make the floor work better and thus produce more downforce.

Other bits of "cleaning up" of the airflow from the front wing / suspension occur, too, of course.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shrieker

This is incredible. Obscured for obvious reasons, but would've loved to see the bargeboard details in 3D nevertheless.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Scorpaguy

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 17:59
Scorpaguy wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 16:16
Barge boards generally do two things:
1. They move the "dirty" air from the front wheel/tyre outwards so that it doesn't mess with the airflow going to the rear of the car. Some of this is by manipulating where the Y250 vortex goes, and some is by setting up other vortices and directing them outwards where they entrain turbulent tyre wake.

2. They bring "clean" air down from above the car and feed it under the front edge of the floor.

Both things basically make the floor work better and thus produce more downforce.

Other bits of "cleaning up" of the airflow from the front wing / suspension occur, too, of course.
Thanks...a follow up clarification/question. The BB's on the AT02 seem to "reach out" laterally to "grab" more air from the sides of the car than did those on the AT01 (again, such is just an assumption from the pics). Would this be to capture/redirect more "clean air"...or should/would one suppose that the "lateral reach" of the AT01's BBs was insufficient capture all of the dirty air off the front of the car?

....or a bit of both?

Ringleheim

Look at the aero complexity in the barge board area!

And they changed the rules not that long ago to allegedly get rid of this type of crap.

:lol:

Fundamentally ugly car with bad proportions, and HUGE....but that's nothing new and nothing limited to Alpha Tauri.

jjn9128

Ringleheim wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 21:49
Look at the aero complexity in the barge board area!

And they changed the rules not that long ago to allegedly get rid of this type of crap.

:lol:

Fundamentally ugly car with bad proportions, and HUGE....but that's nothing new and nothing limited to Alpha Tauri.
When they simplified the front wing in 2019 I said they were crazy not to also simplify the bargeboards... depends on your POV I guess but I agree they're ugly.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

JordanMugen

Incredible. =D>

I guess it's not too different from the models in racing games, but it is very neat indeed.

godlameroso

This angle shows the packaging improvements beautifully.
Saishū kōnā

ryaan2904

Idk. Was expecting more from honda. The packaging has improved but not enough. Look at mclaren, they went miles ahead in terms of packaging.
Ofc, it'll be better with redbull, but if you think that way then the mercs are definitely one step ahead no doubt about it
CFD Eyes of Sauron