Alpine A521

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Alpine A521

trinidefender wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 08:16
GoranF1 wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 22:00
Renault Engine boss, says the "will" switch to split turbo design in the future.
Maybe giant airbox has something to do whit that? Maybe they already did, or they couldnt have this year due to token limitation?
Remi Taffin said, "We could be going down that route….I'm pretty sure you've seen some photos, so I'm not going to lie. We are evaluating." This means that it's likely but not a surety.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... h/5564629/
And who "made" that infamous photo?
viewtopic.php?p=929897#p929897
8)

GoranF1

trinidefender wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Renault Engine boss, says the "will" switch to split turbo design in the future.
Maybe giant airbox has something to do whit that? Maybe they already did, or they couldnt have this year due to token limitation?
False. Remi Taffin said, "We could be going down that route….I'm pretty sure you've seen some photos, so I'm not going to lie. We are evaluating." This means that it's likely but not a surety. Don't spread intentionally fake stuff or things you know are taken out of context.

Ooo i read between the lines and wouldnt say false at all. He's not going to give you a clear yes, thats for sure. 😆
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

trinidefender

RedNEO wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 08:33
trinidefender wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
False. Remi Taffin said, "We could be going down that route….I'm pretty sure you've seen some photos, so I'm not going to lie. We are evaluating." This means that it's likely but not a surety. Don't spread intentionally fake stuff or things you know are taken out of context.

It’s not ‘fake stuff’, Remi even goes into detail how they plan to introduce it for 2022 here..
“We had in mind that we would have another evolution in 2023 and we could get the best out of the new baseline we had in 2022 – which is now not the case anymore, because we haven’t got 2023,” Taffin confirmed.

“But actually we’re quite happy, we can have a big push for 2022. We are trying even pushing further forward some of the evolution we had in 2023 into 2022.

“It has been a different game, but I think that’s not a bad decision.”
https://the-race.com/formula-1/renault- ... lit-turbo/
I didn't say it wasn't going to happen. I just said it wasn't a surety that it will that's all. The quote you posted is talking about ideas that they have in the pipeline being moved forward to 2022. Nowhere does it say that he's specifically talking about a split turbocharger concept. You may think I'm being pedantic but the standard of F1 journalism is poor where things are intentionally taken out of context in an article to push an idea. Responses like this just feed that bad journalism.

So will it happen? Probably yes. Is it guaranteed? Nope. It's "being evaluated." That's the only direct quote Remi Taffin has made on the subject.

PowerandtheGlory

trinidefender wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 14:19
RedNEO wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

It’s not ‘fake stuff’, Remi even goes into detail how they plan to introduce it for 2022 here..
“We had in mind that we would have another evolution in 2023 and we could get the best out of the new baseline we had in 2022 – which is now not the case anymore, because we haven’t got 2023,” Taffin confirmed.

“But actually we’re quite happy, we can have a big push for 2022. We are trying even pushing further forward some of the evolution we had in 2023 into 2022.

“It has been a different game, but I think that’s not a bad decision.”
I didn't say it wasn't going to happen. I just said it wasn't a surety that it will that's all. The quote you posted is talking about ideas that they have in the pipeline being moved forward to 2022. Nowhere does it say that he's specifically talking about a split turbocharger concept. You may think I'm being pedantic but the standard of F1 journalism is poor where things are intentionally taken out of context in an article to push an idea. Responses like this just feed that bad journalism.

So will it happen? Probably yes. Is it guaranteed? Nope. It's "being evaluated." That's the only direct quote Remi Taffin has made on the subject.
And reading between the lines means..
“Yes we are doing it”...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

trinidefender

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 17:11
trinidefender wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 14:19
RedNEO wrote:

And reading between the lines means..
“Yes we are doing it”...
Reading between the lines is fine. Quoting something as if someone actually said something when they didn't is not. Goran's original post literally quoted the word "will" which did not in fact come from anywhere.

On this very forum I've seen other things reported as facts with supposed quotes and then they turn out to be wrong. All I'm trying to do is keep the flow of information on this forum accurate so there is a clear distinction between what is confirmed, what is reading between the lines and what is speculation.

Tooooom

Hello everyone, first post here and I got a question for you.
I know bob bell at the time said that the drawbacks of CCS relative to the center of gravity were offset by the advantages in terms of the reduction in the size of the sidepods.
So with that new CCS and all the weight that goes with it, won't the Center of Gravity be too much affected this time?
I guess they know what they're doing, but clawing downforce back if your car behaves like a truck doesn't seem too enticing. Or maybe the cooling isn't that heavy after all?

PlatinumZealot

Blackout wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 09:43
trinidefender wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Remi Taffin said, "We could be going down that route….I'm pretty sure you've seen some photos, so I'm not going to lie. We are evaluating." This means that it's likely but not a surety.

8)
Upvote deposited.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Tooooom wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 23:10
I know bob bell at the time said that the drawbacks of CCS relative to the center of gravity were offset by the advantages in terms of the reduction in the size of the sidepods.
So with that new CCS and all the weight that goes with it, won't the Center of Gravity be too much affected this time?
I guess they know what they're doing, but clawing downforce back if your car behaves like a truck doesn't seem too enticing. Or maybe the cooling isn't that heavy after all?
CCS?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Chicane

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 06:50
Tooooom wrote:
CCS?
Centerline cooling system
Quickshifter

f1rules

=D> =D> =D> And this is why i love these forums, when something is spotted here and used with the pros, this is an INSANE good find in a otherwise completely dull picture =D> =D>

Blackout wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 09:43
trinidefender wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

8)

BestOfDiResta

PhillipM wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 20:15
Probably the biggest design departure from the norm we've seen recently, perhaps hoping to claw back everything lost from the floor changes. Looks like they're gambling hard on this year and hoping everyone else is working towards 2022.
Worth noting that the FIA froze aero development for the 2022 cars until January this year as part of all the COVID and budget constraints. All these launch cars would have been finalised from an aero perspective before Christmas.

PlatinumZealot

Chicane wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 07:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tooooom wrote:
CCS?
Ok, its mostly ductwork and lightweight coolers. This year car weight has increased by 6kg so teams can and will use ballast somewhere very low to counteract.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PowerandtheGlory

On the subject of coolibg the photos from the AMR test show their car has quite a large plenum- albeit not as wide as Alpine. This might suggest a similar cooling aetup- if slightly less well developed. Time will tell- they be able to ahrink this in season. Aero was free to change over winter- so they will have def spebt time getting this right. Airbox intake is larger on the Aston too.
Merc being super secret not even having a shakedown before Bahrain..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Blackout

Usually The Merc CCS (ERS+Gearbox+Hydraulics cooling IMO) is placed further back in a relatively 'horizontal' position above the gearbox. Their 2020 RP copycat was similar.
So it's not like the other CCS teams and definitely not like Renault.

Tooooom

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 15:07
Chicane wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 07:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:

CCS?
Ok, its mostly ductwork and lightweight coolers. This year car weight has increased by 6kg so teams can and will use ballast somewhere very low to counteract.
Thanks for the answer.
So the size of the cooling in the alpine is due to the Renault engine needing more cooling and it's current architecture. How does it differ again from the split turbo?