McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Now ??

Herr_Koos

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 11:19
https://i.ibb.co/QDf357z/MCL35M.jpg

Now ??
Jep, that works perfectly.

Mansell89

I like the refinements and continuation of concepts. Think back to 2013 when for some unknown reason McLaren went for a whole new concept and got it wrong in the final year of regs.

Hopefully this will be a much more positive year although no doubt highly competitive and very close.

Starting to see more of a Mercedes style fitting in now. I just don’t know what it is about the Mercedes works cars but everything about them just looks perfectly in balance. Forget the aero and little bits - there’s just something when I look at their car like it looks like it is glueing itself to the ground that I don’t feel when I look at other cars. I’ve always felt they have some sort of innate advantage right at the heart or base of their concept.

Does anyone know what I mean?

So sorry that I’m such a technically clueless poster but at least my enthusiasm is there!

f1rules

Yeah, i had a feeling it was damper/suspension but i dont know, i know mclaren had an agreement with the person responsible for vehicle dynamics(Loic something)at mercedes which is where they exel, but unfortunately merc convinced him to stay in the last moment, when they became aware he was leaving :cry: he would have been a great addition no doubt, but soon all these insane suspension systems are outlawed and back to more simple systems so

but yeah 2013 was hard, i spoke to one of the mclaren engineers at that time, he says even to this day it hunts him.
Basicly just before mid season they had not the best of results, leaving them doubt if their platform was good enough for next year, they decided it was not, short after they had a setup breakthrough and suddenly the car came alive and performed amazingly, but they where to far with the new concept and continued with, and as it unfortunately turned out, the new concept had some inbuild flaws, which he understandably would not get in to :-)

Mansell89 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 13:55
I like the refinements and continuation of concepts. Think back to 2013 when for some unknown reason McLaren went for a whole new concept and got it wrong in the final year of regs.

Hopefully this will be a much more positive year although no doubt highly competitive and very close.

Starting to see more of a Mercedes style fitting in now. I just don’t know what it is about the Mercedes works cars but everything about them just looks perfectly in balance. Forget the aero and little bits - there’s just something when I look at their car like it looks like it is glueing itself to the ground that I don’t feel when I look at other cars. I’ve always felt they have some sort of innate advantage right at the heart or base of their concept.

So sorry that I’m such a technically clueless poster but at least my enthusiasm is there!

McFAN

Emag

I wonder what exactly went on with Paddy Lowe and Williams. I feel like he might have been scapegoated and took the blame because he was in charge. There's no way someone like Paddy, who has designed one of the most complicated suspension software ever in Formula 1, could --- up a car so much it practically brought Williams to the brink of bankruptcy.

After all, there's only so much responsibility a man can have (and that's for both the good and the bad), especially in the complex world of Formula 1 nowadays. I don't know if Paddy returned to McLaren would be good or not, but I guess he wouldn't return at this point for anything less than a managerial / leader engineering role. Wouldn't be a great idea to spark power competition within the structure now that James Key has been pointed in charge.

Still, a man of his knowledge would definitely be beneficial to any team, if you take aside all the "political" disadvantages.

Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 14:52
Yeah, i had a feeling it was damper/suspension but i dont know, i know mclaren had an agreement with the person responsible for vehicle dynamics(Loic something)at mercedes which is where they exel, but unfortunately merc convinced him to stay in the last moment, when they became aware he was leaving :cry: he would have been a great addition no doubt, but soon all these insane suspension systems are outlawed and back to more simple systems so

but yeah 2013 was hard, i spoke to one of the mclaren engineers at that time, he says even to this day it hunts him.
Basicly just before mid season they had not the best of results, leaving them doubt if their platform was good enough for next year, they decided it was not, short after they had a setup breakthrough and suddenly the car came alive and performed amazingly, but they where to far with the new concept and continued with, and as it unfortunately turned out, the new concept had some inbuild flaws, which he understandably would not get in to :-)

Mansell89 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 13:55

He’s Loic Serra, that happened in 2016, I believe. Another guy who agreed to come to McLaren then changed his mind. Anyone remember Dan Fallows from Red Bull? Was supposed to come along with Prodromou.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 03:05
I didn't really consider that one a Mercedes cape. Its certainly mclaren's own thing for their nose design. It very likely works differentlty too.
That's more of a subjective opinion though, don't you think?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PhillipM

I mean, Mclaren had a cape on their car over a decade ago, so lets not accuse them of copying nosecone capes :wink:

mclaren111

http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/lates ... rce-271097

Key:
“While the changes take downforce away from the rear, it forces you to take some off the front to rebalance the car, so there’s been a global reduction in downforce.”

Is he saying our understeer problem of last year was not downforce related but mechanical ??

the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 11:10
http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/lates ... rce-271097

Key:
“While the changes take downforce away from the rear, it forces you to take some off the front to rebalance the car, so there’s been a global reduction in downforce.”

Is he saying our understeer problem of last year was not downforce related but mechanical ??
No, balance is not simply about have equal downforce, it’s about how the car reacts at different speeds

The 35 was one of the best through medium to high speed, but the balance found there disappeared at slower speeds

Adding more front downforce at low speed (which is actually very easy in its self) can easily translate into excess drag & oversteer at high speed which is not want you want

The aim is to get the correct balance over all speeds & that is where the challenge is

Just_a_fan

Emag wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 18:07
I wonder what exactly went on with Paddy Lowe and Williams. I feel like he might have been scapegoated and took the blame because he was in charge. There's no way someone like Paddy, who has designed one of the most complicated suspension software ever in Formula 1, could --- up a car so much it practically brought Williams to the brink of bankruptcy.

After all, there's only so much responsibility a man can have (and that's for both the good and the bad), especially in the complex world of Formula 1 nowadays. I don't know if Paddy returned to McLaren would be good or not, but I guess he wouldn't return at this point for anything less than a managerial / leader engineering role. Wouldn't be a great idea to spark power competition within the structure now that James Key has been pointed in charge.

Still, a man of his knowledge would definitely be beneficial to any team, if you take aside all the "political" disadvantages.
Wasn't the issue that Paddy tried to implement changes in how the team worked/internal structure and that put a lot of people's backs up. And then morale plummeted and performance went with it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mansell89

Taken from the Alpha Tauri car thread:

Not to say one is any better than another but certainly gives an indication of McLaren looking slimmer with the new engine packaging.

Whether Red Bull achieve a tighter packaging with Honda remains to be seen but the Mercedes PU layout certainly helps McLarens packaging at the rear. I’m sure there are compromises in other areas with the tokens but worth a share.

https://i.imgur.com/1Idw8AW.jpg

PlatinumZealot

mwillems wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 20:04
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 03:05
I didn't really consider that one a Mercedes cape. Its certainly mclaren's own thing for their nose design. It very likely works differentlty too.
That's more of a subjective opinion though, don't you think?
No its not.

They work differently. That is not clear to you as the technical level of the threads have dropped markedly over the years with less effort to break down features by way of sketches and deep technical reasoning. Even runs in CFD were used by some users.

The Mercedes cape creates the side vortex differently. Look carefully. Stop trying to force it be so just because its a thing under the nose. :roll:

Anyway. This is off topic. The thread is about the new car. Which does have a Mercedes cape that was tested a few times last year before McLaren got it tuned to the satisfaction. ( another peice of evidence that this was new to them).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 12:02
Emag wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 18:07

Wasn't the issue that Paddy tried to implement changes in how the team worked/internal structure and that put a lot of people's backs up. And then morale plummeted and performance went with it.
Morale was always low (no lun intended). If we go by team member comments.

Just from my gleaning of the interwebs, Paddy tried to bring the corpse of williams back to life but he was deemed as too pushy and trying to "change things" too much to be like Mercedes.

There was a clear friction between him and the other managers if u look at his body language in drive to survive. That failure was more politcal than anything technical or managerial IMO.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏