McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL35M

tbh most of the upgrade parts will be the rear diffuser, rear floor and rear brake tins/winglets initially, don't go looking for magic bullets. Gonna be fun to see how fast she is in a straight line though :wink:

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Are they running merc gearbox and rear suspension with the PU?

McFAN
McFAN

Reaction by Marc Priestley.

Mchamilton wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 00:44
No, not according to Scarbs.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

zibby43
zibby43

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot

aleks_ader wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:01
godlameroso wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 21:44
They're not showing anything at all. This was a lackluster launch, they're keeping all the details of the car hidden.
Same as always from all the teams. Ofc we will see at testing much more. But this is just starting point for ur conversation. ,

If any i can say that.

1) This undercut is quite bigger from mcl34. Smart move if u ask me. That bet could help them made early adaption to the new floor rules as easy as possible. I think they want squeeze overflow as much and early as possible. Made cleaner core flow that is further from floor edge. How will that work with underbody who knows.

2) Additionally is quite obvious that Merc thermal footprint is much smaller than Renault. At leat from my count potato eyes. Ofc Mcl could also risk to much and they will accomodate bigger exist accordigly. We will see in testing if they will test new cooling regime in hot contidions.
The renault has smaller intakes. So it is not as easy as that. There is more to it.

Also remember we do not know what sort of intercooler set up they are using now. If it is water cooled, they might have come up with an excuse to put it inside the chassis like Mercedes.

To me thus far it is hard to say which one needs more cooling.

This car is already developed with understanding from 2020. Last years launch car did not have the benefit of a carry over zi guess.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

cheeRS
cheeRS

Interesting - if not surprising - that this is a long wheelbase (LWB) car like the Mercs of and recent RP. I think that this bodes very, very wheel for the MCL35B. Due to the reduced floor area this year, a logical (and legal) way to claw some of that area back is to have a longer wheel base, which clearly stretches the available area between the F/R wheels out. People moaned and complained about the Pink Merc last year, but it certainly delivered for RP. Now a third team adopting the LWB/MERC concept? I like it very much. Speculation of course, but I see a strong podium or even a win(s) in store for the Woking team this year. :hope:

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 23:33
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202102 ... 68b941.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

JordanMugen

McFAN wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 01:02
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwo-bRyTPZc

Reaction by Marc Priestley.
Wow, the car slims down fast after the roll hoop! How did they do that!? =D>

adrianjordan

cheeRS wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 05:51
Interesting - if not surprising - that this is a long wheelbase (LWB) car like the Mercs of and recent RP. I think that this bodes very, very wheel for the MCL35B. Due to the reduced floor area this year, a logical (and legal) way to claw some of that area back is to have a longer wheel base, which clearly stretches the available area between the F/R wheels out. People moaned and complained about the Pink Merc last year, but it certainly delivered for RP. Now a third team adopting the LWB/MERC concept? I like it very much. Speculation of course, but I see a strong podium or even a win(s) in store for the Woking team this year. :hope:

SmallSoldier wrote:

People weren't complaining because RP copied the Merc LWB concept. They were complaining because they copied the whole blooming car!!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Blackout

Mchamilton wrote:
Obviously not. If they did, you would barely see the pull rod for example, but it's completely exposed (see the comparison below)

But it's clear the Mclaren have rear lower whisbones that are quite similar to the 2020 Merc ones. Actually MCL was the first team to 'swap' the lower wishbone arms, they did it in 2014 (then they added the infamous mushrooms) and used them in 2015 too. But their 2020-2021 lower wishbones are similar to 2015/2020Merc (albeit less agressive). The front arm of the lower wishbones is almost 90°to the gearbox/air direction while the rear leg is swept backward...
2016 MP4-31 - 2015 MP4-30 - 2020 MCL-35

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

cheeRS wrote:Interesting - if not surprising - that this is a long wheelbase (LWB) car like the Mercs of and recent RP. I think that this bodes very, very wheel for the MCL35B. Due to the reduced floor area this year, a logical (and legal) way to claw some of that area back is to have a longer wheel base, which clearly stretches the available area between the F/R wheels out. People moaned and complained about the Pink Merc last year, but it certainly delivered for RP. Now a third team adopting the LWB/MERC concept? I like it very much. Speculation of course, but I see a strong podium or even a win(s) in store for the Woking team this year. :hope:

SmallSoldier wrote:

Those pictures aren’t to scale in order to assess how much longer the wheel base might be... But yes, it may be a good idea to increase the wheel base in order to take maximize the floor real estate

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Blackout wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 07:34
Mchamilton wrote:
Obviously not. If they did, you would barely see the pull rod for example, but it's completely exposed (see the comparison below)

But it's clear the Mclaren have rear lower whisbones that are quite similar to the 2020 Merc ones. Actually MCL was the first team to 'swap' the lower wishbone arms, they did it in 2014 (then they added the infamous mushrooms) and used them in 2015 too. But their 2020-2021 lower wishbones are similar to 2015/2020Merc (albeit less agressive). The front arm of the lower wishbones is almost 90°to the gearbox/air direction while the rear leg is swept backward...
2016 MP4-31 - 2015 MP4-30 - 2020 MCL-35
https://i.imgur.com/hhBBdwh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nrmX6mv.jpg
It's obviously not obvious to me otherwise I wouldnt have ask you sarcastic p.....

F1NAC

Revolutionary diffuser without strakes!

:lol: