McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Ok since once again i had to move a post to the Team Thread i'll qoute myself from Page 1:

This is the McLaren MCL35M offical car thread.

Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

djos

Sorry Thunder, I thought my post was specific to the car. 🤦‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

Thunder

djos wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 07:06
Sorry Thunder, I thought my post was specific to the car. 🤦‍♂️
It was, but not about specific technical Details. It was about the general Performance of the Car and Team. And that belongs in the Team Thread.

These Car Threads get cluttered enough as is, blowing them up with general comments would just further complicate navigation.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

djos

Roger that, been a while since I was reminded of the car topic rules.
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

Salvatore Asero:

Last edited by mclaren111 on 01 Apr 2021, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM

Why would you line that up with the wing and not the floor plank? #-o

mclaren111

Apologies... Credit to Salvatore Asero...

https://www.newsf1.it/

PhillipM

Okay, I see why now, the angle/perspective is out on both - just look at the tyre positions, in which case the side by side is pretty useless for comparison

SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:Image
That’s one of the best pictures of an F1 floor I’ve ever seeing... Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

_cerber1

PhillipM

Little interesting snippet over the weekend - the fuel tank was allowed to be altered as part of the engine install for packaging the front of the merc unit, and they made it ~3l smaller than the renault one.

Whether that's just because they had to compromise on alterations, or purely the merc engine efficiency allowing smaller/better packaging there, I don't know, maybe someone else can ask around and find more out.

djos

PhillipM wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 22:16
Little interesting snippet over the weekend - the fuel tank was allowed to be altered as part of the engine install for packaging the front of the merc unit, and they made it ~3l smaller than the renault one.

Whether that's just because they had to compromise on alterations, or purely the merc engine efficiency allowing smaller/better packaging there, I don't know, maybe someone else can ask around and find more out.
Making more power from the same displacement = a more efficient PU. Therefore it seems logical that the Merc PU uses less fuel than the Renault PU.
"In downforce we trust"

Macklaren

PhillipM wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 22:16

wow that's a cool nugget. sounds like a big deal

PhillipM

I don't think it's a big deal, just be nice to find out whether it's deliberate (Merc engine/car package is more efficient) or just a packaging compromise and that means they might have to fuel save more at high fuel use circuits.

trinidefender

PhillipM wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 14:44
I don't think it's a big deal, just be nice to find out whether it's deliberate (Merc engine/car package is more efficient) or just a packaging compromise and that means they might have to fuel save more at high fuel use circuits.
I doubt the FIA would have forced them to design it in a way that would make it smaller if McLaren can show that it would hamper performance. Just like the FIA saying they were trying to minimise any performance gain through the change in the PU I also think that they were trying to allow as much as possible so McLaren wouldn't be hampered by the PU change.

My guess would be that it is deliberate for weight savings and packaging gains.